SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2010, 03:39 AM   #1
knclark67
knclark67 is on a distinguished road

Default Vue stopped working. Blinking security light.

I have a 2003 Saturn Vue 6 cylinder automatic. I was driving and my car just turned off and did not start again. The starter would begin but the car would not crank. I disconnected the battery and then reconnected the battery and tried to turn it on, the car popped and a burning smell followed. I did this twice. When I went out later I noticed the security light was blinking. Based on some research it may be the body control module.
Is it this part? If so how do I go about replacing it or whatever part it may be? If this can only be done by a dealer where can I find one now?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to knclark67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help knclark67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
knclark67 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Vue stopped working. Blinking security light.

The engine turning off and not able to start again may be the crank position sensor (CPS), next to the oil filter. The starter working but the engine never firing up is usually a tell tale indication of a failed cps. Removing and measuring it for resistance should read between 700-1200 ohms otherwise an open reading means failure, replace it. Check on this part before continuing on otherwise you may wear out the battery trying multiple starting attempts.

The security light flashing can be reset in one of two ways; leave the ignition in the ON position beyond 10-minutes until it stops flashing then turn off the ignition before trying another start or perform the 30-minute relearn routine posted on these forums. You can seach for the procedure.

Before starting up, have the battery fully charged in case it was drained from starting attempts.

The bcm has many functions including the Passlock theft deterrent system but may not be the problem, yet. If the reset procedure works the bcm is working correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
knclark67

Thank you very much. I will look into this part. If you could provide me some insight into the procedure for removing this part I would greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help knclark67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

CPS removal is straight forward but does require a Torx socket. I don't know the size.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Vue cps.gif (34.3 KB, 18 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
knclark67

Removed the part, it was Torx size E8. Had it tested. It tested at 910 ohms. Tried starting car again, but there is a loud pop and a burning smell. I am open to suggestions for the next step or alternatives. Thank you very much for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

And still no SES light? Next step can be fuel pressure testing. When the igition key is turned ON there will be a faint hum/hiss of the fuel pump running (try listening for it) for 2-3 seconds then shutting off (for safety); locate the fuel rail's test valve, remove the large black plastic cap (this schrader valve resembles a tire valve), cover the valve loosely with a rag while depressing the valve stem expecting a healthy spray of fuel. No fuel or a dribble means a fuel issue; fuse, pump relay, wiring, ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Just a thought: have you ever replaced the timing belt? I know on some cars, if the t-belt breaks, the engine shuts off automatically so the valves and pistons don't get damaged. Not sure if the VUE is that way or not.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
knclark67

Figured the work was beyond my ability and space to do the work myself at home so took it to the mechanic. Mechanic says that the timing belt busted and that he suspects some valves and heads are damaged, requiring the parts to be replaced/worked on. This sounds a little to excessive, just want some feedback on his diagnosis to keep my mechanic honest. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by knclark67 View Post
Figured the work was beyond my ability and space to do the work myself at home so took it to the mechanic. Mechanic says that the timing belt busted and that he suspects some valves and heads are damaged, requiring the parts to be replaced/worked on. This sounds a little to excessive, just want some feedback on his diagnosis to keep my mechanic honest. Thanks.
You mentioned a "pop". Does it sound like a back-fire type noise, or more like a piston colliding with a valve?

When cranking, does the engine spin faster than normal (loss of compression)? Or more like normal - like it really wants to start?

The burning smell could be bits and pieces of accessory or timing belt stuck in places where the spinning crank (during start) is causing them to overheat.

IMO - at very least you (or someone) needs to uncover front of engine and take a look.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
knclark67

The pop sounds to me like whip cracking or like a champagne, it is pretty loud. The sounds like its spinning faster, not like its going to start. The burning smell comes right after the pop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!