SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default instrument cluster LED bulbs

I've got 2 dead bulbs.
Based on my searches on redlineforums (no hits here) B8.5D is the size I need.
Hope it applies to sedan too.
So, I "invested" $2.66 to get 10 of white LEDs from ebay. I'll keep you posted when (and if) I get it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: instrument cluster LED bulbs

correction, 3 dead bulbs.
this is the before picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150103_201153.jpg (48.8 KB, 47 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:48 AM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

B8.4D is the exact correct size, but B8.5D LEDs will also work fine. I have a few bulbs out too so I will also be installing LEDs soon.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I wonder what the difference is between B8.5D and B8.4D. The B8.4D seem to be more expensive on ebay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacek_p View Post
I wonder what the difference is between B8.5D and B8.4D. The B8.4D seem to be more expensive on ebay.
AFAIK the only difference is the shape of the base below the contacts.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:14 PM   #6
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

i found this info:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2015, 11:43 PM   #7
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

And this how to video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGcG9fWNTYg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #8
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

B8.4D was the best match for my ion.
Theres a thread in the mods section titled "colorization of dash" where we went into detail of a few things, and kinda goofed off a little lol

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202462

I got my bulbs from superbrightleds.com

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:00 AM   #9
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

OK, I got the delivery of the cheap ebay B8.5D. The size is clearly wrong. I managed to make 3 work by force at the expense of breaking 7 other in the process. Fortunately, I didn't break the cluster. I don't understand why the redlineforums propagated the wrong info on the B8.5D.

Last edited by jacek_p; 01-24-2015 at 01:10 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
Clyderp
Clyderp is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
OK, I got the delivery of the cheap ebay B8.5D. The size is clearly wrong. I managed to make 3 work by force at the expense of breaking 7 other in the process. Fortunately, I didn't break the cluster. I don't understand why the redlineforums propagated the wrong info on the B8.5D.
This past weekend I installed B8.4D. leds in my cluster. At first they werent making a connection but after a little bit of force and some trial and error all of the connectors were all touching well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Clyderp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Clyderp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Clyderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I had to do a little adjusting of the contacts on mine and they work perfect for the next year or 2.
now, I think one is going out or getting loose.
I got mine through superbrightled.com.
I always thought the contact adjustment was just from the way they are made/shipped from them bec I had to do the same on a different set of LEDs.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #12
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
bad news, i think i broke the cluster. some of the incorrect size (B8.5D) LEDs stopped working. I got the replacement correct size, B8.4D, but too loose and no contact, looks like the sockets were damaged by forcing the B8.5D in. Not sure how to fix them. has anyone taken the cluster apart to fix it?

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #13
jacek_p

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Update 1 year later.
I managed to fix it by soldering tiny wires to 4 new good B8.4D LEDs (that didn't work while inserted due to damaged contacts inside) and connecting the wires to the wires in the cluster connector. One of the grey wires (there are 2 of them) is +12V when lights are on (regulated by a dimmer) and black/white is ground. I also put 150 Ohm resistor in series (in addition to their 300 Ohm internal resistor) to prevent them from burning out as they seem too bright even at 12V (it's closer to 14V with alternator running).
I didn't rotate the LEDs to prevent shorts, i just inserted them and secured with hot glue.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!