SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
MikeIndiana
MikeIndiana is on a distinguished road

Default My Saturn 2000 won't start. Security Light, Gas gauge not working.

My car won't start. A few seconds after I turn the key to run, the security light comes on, the 'service engine soon' light comes on and the little service + wrench light comes on too.

It turns over, but isn't getting any fuel. No fuel pressure. Has over a 1/2 tank of gas in it. Gas gauge shows empty.

Leaving it in run position, for 10 minutes, does not reset the security light and will not start after any amount of time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeIndiana's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeIndiana reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: My Saturn 2000 won't start. Security Light, Gas gauge not working.

Factory security does not disable the fuel pump. Did you check for a blown fuel pump fuse? Swapped pump relay with another?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Which model car do you have?, L-series or S-series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
MikeIndiana

I have an S series.

And the security operates by disabling the fuel pump. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MikeIndiana reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

The security reset involves turning the car to the run position 3 times, while waiting at least 10 mins (AND the security light goes OUT) each time, before the car will start again.

Did you recently replace anything or lock the car with the FOB but unlock it with the keys?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
MikeIndiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnV View Post
The security reset involves turning the car to the run position 3 times, while waiting at least 10 mins (AND the security light goes OUT) each time, before the car will start again.

Did you recently replace anything or lock the car with the FOB but unlock it with the keys?
No, the waiting 10 minutes thing does not work.

I tested the schrader fuel valve and there is no fuel pressure, I don't hear the fuel pump when I turn the ignition to run.

The daytime running lights come on, when the security lights come on, a second or two after turning the ignition it to 'run'.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIndiana View Post
I have an S series.

And the security operates by disabling the fuel pump. Thanks.
Well, you're mistaken.

From the service manual;

The passlock sensor data supplied to the BCM is in the form of V-codes or voltage codes. When the proper ignition key is turned in the ignition switch, the correct V-code is supplied to the BCM. The BCM responds by sending a serial data password to the engine controller allowing the engine to run.

Under a tamper condition, a specific V-code is supplied to the BCM. The BCM will send a class II message to the PCM disabling the fuel injectors.

No mention anywhere of disabling the fuel pump. I thought the same until I read the service manual.................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
MikeIndiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Well, you're mistaken.

From the service manual;

The passlock sensor data supplied to the BCM is in the form of V-codes or voltage codes. When the proper ignition key is turned in the ignition switch, the correct V-code is supplied to the BCM. The BCM responds by sending a serial data password to the engine controller allowing the engine to run.

Under a tamper condition, a specific V-code is supplied to the BCM. The BCM will send a class II message to the PCM disabling the fuel injectors.

No mention anywhere of disabling the fuel pump. I thought the same until I read the service manual.................
well I bought a digital service manual, from DetroitMotors.com and here is what it says.

Quote:
OPERATION
When mechanical key turns the Passlock(tm) lock cylinder, data is created by a rotating magnet turning past a
stationary Hall effect sensor. This data signal is sent to the BCM. The BCM determines the validity of the data
within a preset time window, then sends a coded password to the PCM, which then allows the fuel injectors to
operate normally.
If data is not read within the preset time window, the Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) system will go into
SHORT TAMPER MODE. During this SHORT TAMPER MODE, the vehicle will not operate for 4 seconds
and SECURITY indicator light will flash. After 3 consecutive failed time window readings, or if wrong data is
read, the VTD will go into LONG TAMPER MODE. During the LONG TAMPER MODE, the fuel injectors
will shut off for 10 minutes and SECURITY indicator light will flash. Vehicle may crank and temporarily start
during tamper modes, but will soon stall due to fuel shut-off.
It says it disables the fuel injectors, but I guess there should still be pressure at the schrader valve, not sure.

It may disable the fuel injectors by disabling the fuel pump, more than one source has said it disables the fuel pump.

From what I gather how this system operates is some sort of secret they keep from the general public. Maybe so the government can remotely disable your car completely. Who really knows, it's possible. They admittedly do it now on newer cars, maybe they've been doing this secretly for a long time.

I can hardly believe this is all just to deter stupid car thieves.

I guess it could be the BCM also, if it's not just a loose wire somewhere.

I checked under the car and there is very little corrosion, the wires all seem in good condition.

I checked some of the wires and got no voltage in the rear fuel pump connector, which according to the Richpin videos, means there's a problem somewhere, but the 'problem' I guess could be in one of the damn computers.

Really miss non-computerized cars right now.

I guess if it's the BCM i gotta buy the part from a dealer and they need to use some special "Tech I" software only some computer expert can use, to program it, so I can start my car.

Is fuel injection really worth THIS?

Last edited by MikeIndiana; 03-05-2012 at 05:20 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!