SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Default exhaust or muffler Seal

This may be common knowledge, but i was surprised how well some packages of stuff from FLAPS sealed a series of cracks in my downpipe, bordering the Clamp which supports the pipe suspended from (i think) the transmission housing.

This on my 2000SW, acquired last February 2018.

There were a couple of cracks in the downpipe, either side (fore & aft) of the support clamp in front of the flex pipe. The cause was 'galvanic corrosion': the car sat after exposure to roadsalt; the salty (wet) electrolyte allowed the different metals (CLAMP vs DOWNPIPE) to generate a voltage, which then drove chemical dissolution of the downpipe.

I used a hacksaw blade to open/clean the crack. Some washing, sanding clean. Then, paste applied, with a securing cover of fiberglass strips (impregnated with a Hi Temp resin).

The paste, rated 2400*F, i recognized from work repairing ceramic walls of laboratory ovens which ran 10 hours daily at yellow heat:
Blue Magic Quik Steel, Thermo Steel Repair Kit $7.50 @ Advance Auto.

Fiberglass strips: Permatex ExtraWide Muffler & Tailpipe Bandage,
2.85" X 42"; P/No:80332 $6.00.

Intact, functional a year 8000 miles later.

An earlier effort, late 70s, was unsuccessful!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: exhaust or muffler Seal

One of the miracles of modern chemistry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:59 PM   #3
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

stuff like that is only temporary. the real way to repair it is to replace the corroded parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM96 View Post
Then, paste applied, with a securing cover of fiberglass strips (impregnated with a Hi Temp resin).

The paste, rated 2400*F, i recognized from work repairing ceramic walls of laboratory ovens which ran 10 hours daily at yellow heat:
Blue Magic Quik Steel, Thermo Steel Repair Kit $7.50 @ Advance Auto.
That Quik Steel paste is pretty impressive. Last month, I used it to patch a spot on the resonator tube, where it turns 90 degrees. It rusted all around where hanger was welded on to the pipe (red circle) so that the hanger was not connected to any metal on the pipe - it was only the Quik Steel that was holding the hanger on to the pipe. It held up fine for many weeks.

What killed it was after several weeks, I had a second spot on the resonator pipe fail - orange line. It rusted and broke right after the flange that bolts onto the catalytic converter. The Quik Steel "weld" held the hanger on for about 15~20 minutes of a drive and I'm sure the resonator pipe was oscillating quite a bit (no longer held at the front) during the drive.

When the Quik Steel finally broke, the resonator hung down low enough to scrape the road

If I did not have that second failure, I am sure the Quik Steel would still be holding.

I was a bit skeptical at first about the product (and all such exhaust products, due to experiences years ago) but not any more

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
GregS&L
GregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

Keep in mind that a few states (Virginia included) will fail a state vehicle safety inspection if any exhaust pipes, mufflers, catalytic converters, etc. are found to be “repaired” with patches, tape and/or any type of caulking or paste materials. Many years ago that was not the case but these days things have changed.

Of course if the inspector does not hear an obvious exhaust leak, he or she will probably not look for a “patch” repair job unless it really sticks out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GregS&L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GregS&L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GregS&L is offline   Reply With Quote