SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #1
kohlndk
kohlndk is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 sl2 autotrans problem

i have a 2002 sl2 with 260000 miles. It runs great, everything works with no issues, except... The transmission was good, it shifted good, no appreciable slip, no slamming into gears. The fluid was bright red, doesn't smell. Everything one day was fine, the next day it wouldn't shift into reverse or second,. it had the p0732, 733, 734 codes. I checked the 5 solenoids under the top trans cover all measured 5.4 to 5.5 ohms. the fuses were all good. any thoughts here. It is weird that one day it works and the next day,,nothing, normally a trans will be giving you symptoms, but nothing. ..thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kohlndk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kohlndk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kohlndk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2019, 09:10 PM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 2002 sl2 autotrans problem

Sounds like your Input Shaft Nut came loose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #3
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlndk View Post
i have a 2002 sl2 with 260000 miles. It runs great, everything works with no issues, except... The transmission was good, it shifted good, no appreciable slip, no slamming into gears. The fluid was bright red, doesn't smell. Everything one day was fine, the next day it wouldn't shift into reverse or second,. it had the p0732, 733, 734 codes. I checked the 5 solenoids under the top trans cover all measured 5.4 to 5.5 ohms. the fuses were all good. any thoughts here. It is weird that one day it works and the next day,,nothing, normally a trans will be giving you symptoms, but nothing. ..thanks
2nd Gear Clutch pack needs to be tested, if your first gear is engaging in drive.

Symptoms of a loose input shaft nut are

Delayed slamming reverse(this is what loosens the nut, when not repaired quickly)

No reverse

Slamming gear on all upshifts in all forward gears

P0732 code only because 2nd gear still engages, but reverse will not engage or only engages after being revved up to almost the 4k limiter, and 2nd Gear is on the same clutch pack as reverse is.

Pull the valve body and do an air test on the 2nd Gear clutch.

My guess is the car had a short 2-3 upshift, that was masking a failing 2nd gear clutch.

A functional TAAT should, on flat ground amd consistent TPS signal, shift at the same rpm in every gear.

Example, you take off and first revs to 2,500, then shifts into 2nd. At 18-20mph, the TCC engages, and 2nd runs to 2,500rpm, then shifts to 3rd, which will also run to 2,500, then will shift into 4th.

When the 2nd gear clutch begins to fail, due to failure of a plastic piece in the transmission, you will get a shorter 2-3 upshift(PCM compensates for a slipping clutch), at say 2,000rpms instead of 2,500 like every other gear.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:46 PM   #4
kohlndk

ok, the plan was to pull the valve body this weekend after work and look for anything worn out. so once its pulled how do i go about doing the air test on 2nd gear clutch? as far as shifting I believe it had very consistent shifts and like i said it went from working fine to not working, literally overnight. if it is the 2nd gear clutch is that the clutch I can access without pulling the trans

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kohlndk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-01-2019, 12:36 AM   #5
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
so once its pulled how do i go about doing the air test on 2nd gear clutch?
Info on the Air Check . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=29

Quote:
if it is the 2nd gear clutch is that the clutch I can access without pulling the trans
Besides something with the VB, about the only other thing you have any hope of fixing yourself is the ISN.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #6
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

If your 2nd Gear clutch has failed, the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

I am suggesting the test of the clutch, based on your symptoms, so that proper troubleshooting can be performed before you throw money at the car for parts you may not need.

Chazberry has already covered that a potential VB issue may be present. Pulling the VB, to test the clutch packs, will give you the capability to inspect and test the VB solenoids, as well.

You can pull the top cover of the VB, to inspect the bus plate and the 5 solenoids, as well as test the resistance with a DMM.

When you pull the connector harness, you can also inspect the wiring and pins for broken/damaged wiring, bent pins, or a melted connector. The wiring is a very rare failure, but can still happen.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

It won't hurt anything to check the solenoids/connectors/etc, good practice, but nothing electrical will cause a failure of Reverse. This is going to be in the VB hydraulics or deeper...

Unless, of course, it is simply something wrong with the shift cable. I would disconnect the cable at the trans and make sure the problem persists even if the trans shift arm is (manually) moved to the proper detented positions. This is a long-shot, but easy to do before opening the trans at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:22 AM   #8
kohlndk

Dizzy Re: 2002 sl2 autotrans problem

Ok, it's been awhile, life gets in the way sometimes. I checked the input shaft nuts, they were were still tight. I ran the the pressure test on the clutch packs, they all "thuncked", I am assuming that's what is supposed to happen. Since the valve body was out, I pulled the solenoids and checked them, they all measured 5.9 ohms. They also had a good connection to the plate and connector, no burn marks or anything obviously wrong. I'm not sure how to check the valve body for worn servo valves, the ones that I could move all were tight with no slop. I think the next step is to button it all up and check the line pressure. Should I check anything else before I put it back together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Can you see that R servo down in there, to see if it moves when you apply air? Probably not, but I had to ask...

Did you ever try manually putting the trans shift arm into detented positions, with the shift cable off?

I'm surprised none of us suggested checking LP before opening the top cover, but I wouldn't expect the LP to affect only the R operation. Sure, check LP, it is easy to do.

PS: Did I understand correctly, forward gears 1st, 3rd, and 4th still work OK?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #10
kohlndk

I'll look at the reverse servo again, it's easier now. I never tried manually moving the shift cable but everything appears intact. The only thing that the transmission would do is go into 1st gear. It would not upshift or go into reverse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It's unusual for all solenoids to change resistance values (according to service bulletin) but may be the solenoids are faulty. Did you check for blown fuses?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Automatic xmission control schematic.jpg (211.5 KB, 4 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (105.7 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #12
kohlndk

I have checked all the fuses. Measuring the solenoids, I get 5.9 ohms on each.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #13
billr
Master Member

Disconnect the cable to the solenoids, or just pull the trans fuses. That should give you R, 1st, and either 3rd or 4th gear (can't remember if it is 3rd or 4th). that simple test will pretty much eliminate anything electrical as being the problem.

Don't move the shift cable around, remove it at the trans and move that arm at the trans feeling for the "click" of detented positions. I admit that some problem with that cable or its adjustment is slim, but it is an easy test to try before concluding the VB is bad; which is where this is going.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #14
kohlndk

Dizzy Re: 2002 sl2 autotrans problem

I also wanted to reiterate that my car, on day was fine, upshifted and downshifted good, with no noticeable slippage, no gear slamming. Then the next day only 1st gear. That is why I am confused. I've had cars where the transmission was tired and knew it would give out soon. This gave me no warnings

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2019, 06:11 AM   #15
kohlndk

Thanks Bill. I checked out the shifter linkage and at the transmission with the cable disconnected, it went to every detent with no binding, I hooked the shift cable back up and it worked the same from the shifter. Good. Next I will button up the transmission, probably this weekend as I have to help my son lay flooring in his living room, meaning I have to lay flooring... My question is once the transmission is put back together. Should I disconnect the 10 pin connector from the top of the transmission and see if it shifts into reverse, 1st and maybe 3rd and 4th?? It would be ok if it was a bad valve body. 🙂

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2019, 01:36 PM   #16
billr
Master Member

"as I have to help my son lay flooring in his living room, meaning I have to lay flooring..."

Yes, I know exactly what your mean!

I first suggested disconnecting the 10-pin connector, but pulling all (three?) of the trans fuses will accomplish the same thing and is much easier.

With no electrical power to the solenoids the shifting will all be controlled by the position of the valve spool that the shift arm moves, I'm assuming the bent rod connecting the shift arm to the spool is correctly attached, of course.

If having no electrical power to the solenoids and having that spool working doesn't give the R and one F gear, then there must be a problem with LP, leakage in more-than-one of the clutches/servo, considerable damage to trans gears/splines, or... a bad VB.

You have done the air-checks and it seems there aren't any gross leaks at the clutches/servo, correct? Do the LP test, the simple "fuse pull" one, and get that off the list. "Considerable damage" to internal mechanical parts is quite rare, so good LP really points to a bad VB.

I gotta ask, though... are you sure an axle isn't broken or the diff pin has gone? Does the speedo show no any movement, even though the car won't move? I don't mean to insult you with these last questions, but it would be sad to change the VB (or chase this any further into the trans) if it really isn't a trans problem at all.

Live-data is always helpful to have, comparing turbine speed to engine speed and vehicle speed at a glance. Gear-commended vs. gear-selected, things like that too.

PS: Oops, I just browsed back through the thread. 1st still works OK? Then a broken axle or diff pin are off the list. So is LP, probably, but check it anyway. It sure sounds like that R/2nd servo isn't moving properly and isn't leaking, so that points again at the VB. If you have any chance of seeing that servo move while applying air pressure, try to do so. I think you should at least be able to hear it "clunk" louder than the other clutches when air is applied. I'm doing some guessing here, as I have never had to go that deep into the TAAT; just applying years of experience to try helping you.

Last edited by billr; 06-25-2019 at 01:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #17
kohlndk

Thanks Bill, I'm going to check the servos one more time before I put it back together, fill it with fluid, new filter. Attempt to a road test, if it works great, if not I check line pressure and also pull the fuses for manual control. I'll let you know in a few days how it goes. Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #18
kohlndk

Well, I got everything put back together and filled. Mind you when I had the valve body out, I partially took it apart and more then likely mixed the solenoid positions. So I started the car and proceeded to drive it. All was good. It shifted into all forward gears, downshifted correctly and reverse worked. Do my thoughts are it had a weak solenoid in for line pressure. Mixing them up let the line pressure to work. Long term I should probably get a new valve body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #19
billr
Master Member

Maybe even a poor connection from the solenoid pin to the bus-plate. I would leave it alone, "watch and wait". As to the VB, don't order one until you need it; you might never need one. Also, if you put in a VB that has been "sitting on the shelf" for a long time, and it doesn't solve a problem, the vendor is less likely to help you out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2019, 06:23 AM   #20
kohlndk

Thanks Bill for all your help. I agree wait and watch. What I have learned from all this and the forum, is the transmission is fairly robust except the VB which appears to to be the most problematic. Anyways thanks again. Let's see if I can get this fine car to 300,000 miles or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!