SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 AM   #1
TylerD
TylerD is on a distinguished road

Default Windshield fluid not spraying.

Here in Pennsylvania it's around 15 degrees today. I tried to clean my dirty windows on my way to work to no avail. Is this at all normal for a car in 15 degree weather? I never remember having any issues with my grand am.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TylerD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TylerD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Depends on what temperature your windshield washer fluid freezes at. 15 degrees is cold enough that road salt is no longer effective, so if you or your dealership are putting really cheap washer fluid in that could be causing it.
Even if the washer fluid itself wasn't frozen, you could have had ice plugging the holes.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

I have dirt clog the lines. also.
Sometimes the hose gets kinked or loosened.
Use the washer fluid with antifreeze in it. Some 15 deg. days regular fluid will freeze, on other 15 deg. days it won't.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2004, 11:48 AM   #4
jmettee
jmettee is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I use the cheap blue stuff from wal-mart. It's supposed to be -25F, but it doesn't make it that far. It's generally good down to +20F in my experience.

Last weekend, when it was about 5F, I got it to spit on me windshield, right before it instantly froze up both nozzles.

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m
"Giggity Giggity Goo" -Quagmire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmettee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmettee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2004, 12:14 PM   #5
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

Probably the best winter windshield washer fluid I ever had was some green stuff from Prestone, I haven't seen it in any autoparts stores since the 1990s so it probably had something nasty in it.
Nevermind, it's still listed on their website.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2004, 12:56 PM   #6
PAGuy77
PAGuy77 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I use the Rainex Deicer washer fluid. It puts a nice coating of Rainex on the windshield, and I haven't had it freeze in this cold weather yet. I get it at Walmart, and it was about $3 for the gallon container.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PAGuy77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PAGuy77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2004, 01:54 PM   #7
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally posted by PAGuy77
I use the Rainex Deicer washer fluid. It puts a nice coating of Rainex on the windshield, and I haven't had it freeze in this cold weather yet. I get it at Walmart, and it was about $3 for the gallon container.
Sounds like a good product.
I have noticed by using regular Rainex, it is easier to scape stubborn ice off the windsheild as well. The ice doesn't seem to adhere as well to the glass.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2004, 02:20 PM   #8
yellekkelurock
yellekkelurock is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by UNKLE BIK
Sounds like a good product.
I have noticed by using regular Rainex, it is easier to scape stubborn ice off the windsheild as well. The ice doesn't seem to adhere as well to the glass.
It is a very good product! I use it and it comes in handy in PA weather.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yellekkelurock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yellekkelurock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2004, 02:53 PM   #9
XCantYouSeeX
XCantYouSeeX is on a distinguished road

though rain-x is a very good product it damages your windshield in the process. thus why i dont touch it to any of my vehichles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XCantYouSeeX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XCantYouSeeX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2004, 02:59 PM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally posted by XCantYouSeeX
though rain-x is a very good product it damages your windshield in the process. thus why i dont touch it to any of my vehichles
Can you tell us how it damages the windsheild?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2004, 03:02 PM   #11
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

I have used the Wal-Mart blue and it has worked down to -10 F in Lake Placid. If you have a VUE they fly off at any time:o:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2004, 04:34 PM   #12
EdwinM
EdwinM is on a distinguished road

I've been using RainX for about 20 years and I have never had any sort of damage to my windshields. I love the stuff. You should definitely NOT use it on clear plastics though, such as the headlights or tail lights. It can cause cracking and hazing if used on plastics. In my experience RainX is totally safe on glass though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EdwinM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EdwinM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2004, 05:46 PM   #13
smoothrider
smoothrider is on a distinguished road

I think XCantYouSeeX is referring to the hazing effect during wipes under certain condition and/or if applied incorrectly. Maybe the washer type is different, but be forewarned, the Rain-x stuff is very difficult to get off once applied.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smoothrider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smoothrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:20 PM   #14
EdwinM
EdwinM is on a distinguished road

The "hazing" you are referring to when RainX is applied to glass is normal. It hazes when dried. You then use a wet cloth or paper towel to wipe it off and then buff with a dry cloth or paper towel. The windshield is then crystal clear. The hazing that occurs to plastics is different. That kind of hazing is permanent. Again, do NOT use RainX on plastics. It says so right on the bottle: "Do not use on plastics unless pre-approved by the manufacturer of the plastic to be treated. Do not use on or allow product to contact painted surfaces, non-clear surfaces, surfaces treated with anti-reflective, scratch resistant, or other coatings."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EdwinM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EdwinM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2004, 10:52 PM   #15
XCantYouSeeX
XCantYouSeeX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by UNKLE BIK
Can you tell us how it damages the windsheild?

It causes pits to be formed in your windshield, not to mention its icky hard to apply. its good stuff dont get me wrong just dont use it forever

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XCantYouSeeX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XCantYouSeeX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:06 AM   #16
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally posted by XCantYouSeeX
It causes pits to be formed in your windshield, not to mention its icky hard to apply. its good stuff dont get me wrong just dont use it forever
Could be that there were very small particles of dust or dirt on the windshelid prior to buffing. Some of these parts may have been hard to see with the naked eye. When you buff out Rain-X, I have noticed you do have to rub fairly hard to get it clear off the windsheild. This may have caused the pits, as the dirt acted as sandpaper. It's very important to have a clean windsheild prior to applying Rain-X. Just my theory.
Thanx for the up & up, though.
Especially regarding plastic parts.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Last edited by unkle bik; 01-15-2004 at 08:11 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread