SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
sattyluvr
sattyluvr is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
Default Running lights electrical issue

Id love to hear from anyone who has an idea or has had a similar problem.

My rear running lights, fog lights and dash lights are all out. When i replace the 10a fuse and turn the lights on the fuse immediately blows.
My first thought is that it was a short in a socket or bulb so i did the following...
-unplugged all three rear light connectors
-unplugged fog lights
-unplugged fog light switch and dash connector

After unplugging i put a new fuse in and it still blew like before. So now that i assume its not a corroded socket/bulb i believe it might be a pinched wire or the light switch on the steering column itself.

Other info is ...
low beam and high beams in the front still work (on a separate circuit i suppose)
harzards still work

I dont wanna tear the the steering wheel light switch apart until i know a little more about it since theres an airbag ready to go off in my face if i do attempt something.

Any advice that anyone has would mean the world to me. As always thanks guys!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sattyluvr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sattyluvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sattyluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Running lights electrical issue

It could be the dash illumination lights, or the front parking lights (they're parking lights, BTW; "running lights" usu. refers to the DRLs). A quick way to remove the dash illumination from the circuit is to disconnect the dimmer. Otherwise, try your same exercise on the front parking lights.

Side marker lights are on that circuit as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 AM   #3
sattyluvr

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
It could be the dash illumination lights, or the front parking lights (they're parking lights, BTW; "running lights" usu. refers to the DRLs). A quick way to remove the dash illumination from the circuit is to disconnect the dimmer. Otherwise, try your same exercise on the front parking lights.

Side marker lights are on that circuit as well.
Yes your right I meant parking lights my bad...forgot i have running lights too. I'll try to disconnect front P lights and see if it still shorts out since i already pulled dimmer switch and dash illumination connector.

I wish the saturn engineers would have put the rear p light on a separate fuse from the front since theyre so important in nighttime driving. i have to figure it out soon because a cop gave me a work order for it to be fixed in 30 days. its also really lame to have to drive around with my hazards on...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sattyluvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
sattyluvr

2000 SC2

Ok after checking side and front parking lights to no success i believe i might know whats going on.

Could it be the BCM?...I've been reading about it and if its right behind the glovebox then i might have unplugged it. A couple of months ago it started making vibrating noises and i disconnected mine. I dont know much about its function if anyone cares to share...

Is a junkyard trip in order?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The body control module (BCM) does almost everything the pcm (engine computer) doesn't; internal/external lighting, Passlock theft deterrent system, remote keyless entry, coordinate all diagnostics amongst the computers (ABS/TC, airbags, pcm) and provide a gateway through the DLC link for a Tech II or reader/scanner. If you were to disconnect it there's a good chance the car becomes a large paper weight. Your bcm might be above/below/behind the radio. L-series cars have theirs above the glove box.

Another way to monitor the fused line that keeps blowing fuses would be to wire a 12v tail light in place of the fuse; as long as there's a short or something drawing large current, the bulb stays lit. Now you won't blow fuses and can use the light as a visual indicator while troubleshooting where power is going. Make the two wires long enough so you can place the bulb above the dash and see the light as you go around checking for the short condition.

Anyone perform electrical repairs, mods, rewiring, etc..?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL1
Post Re: Running lights electrical issue

Will these help?

1995 SL1 178,200 and go'in strong!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf va133032.pdf (26.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf va133033.pdf (53.3 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
sattyluvr

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
The body control module (BCM) does almost everything the pcm (engine computer) doesn't; internal/external lighting, Passlock theft deterrent system, remote keyless entry, coordinate all diagnostics amongst the computers (ABS/TC, airbags, pcm) and provide a gateway through the DLC link for a Tech II or reader/scanner. If you were to disconnect it there's a good chance the car becomes a large paper weight. Your bcm might be above/below/behind the radio. L-series cars have theirs above the glove box.

Another way to monitor the fused line that keeps blowing fuses would be to wire a 12v tail light in place of the fuse; as long as there's a short or something drawing large current, the bulb stays lit. Now you won't blow fuses and can use the light as a visual indicator while troubleshooting where power is going. Make the two wires long enough so you can place the bulb above the dash and see the light as you go around checking for the short condition.

Anyone perform electrical repairs, mods, rewiring, etc..?
lol yea....I haave a 2000 sc2 btw...

Ive had the engine and trans replaced in separate times so who knows ifs theres a pinched wire or what not but thanks for your advice...if i have no bcm in my car then could this be the direct cause of the short or not?

looks like i need a new one installed and programmed

thanks for reply ill do your test still

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
sattyluvr

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGW View Post
Will these help?

1995 SL1 178,200 and go'in strong!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!!
Hell yeah that helps thanks alot! i lost my haynes manual on s-series

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

It's a bit of a surprise that the car starts and runs with the BCM disconnected. Does the speedometer work? The odometer? The rear defogger?

That said, I doubt it's related to your parking light issue. SRGW's diagram shows no connection between the parking light circuit and the BCM. AFAIK, the only connection between the BCM and any exterior lights is to the turn signal lights, in order for the RKE to flash them.

You received a blessing when you lost your Haynes manual. The Haynes manual for our cars has a bit of information marginally pertinent to the gen-1 cars. It's downright spotty for gen-2, and virtually useless for gen-3. If you're dealing with things like a noise-making BCM, and esp. if you're disconnecting it as a workaround attempt, an FSM set or subscription to AllData will give you much more bang for the buck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
sattyluvr

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
It's a bit of a surprise that the car starts and runs with the BCM disconnected. Does the speedometer work? The odometer? The rear defogger?

That said, I doubt it's related to your parking light issue. SRGW's diagram shows no connection between the parking light circuit and the BCM. AFAIK, the only connection between the BCM and any exterior lights is to the turn signal lights, in order for the RKE to flash them.
hum interesting.

Ive had the BCM disconnected for 2 months so i didnt think it was related but i really dont know. Ive never heard of a bcm before this so i dont understand how it works but if it could cause the engine not to start then i need to replace it anyways

Everything in the gauge cluster works including the check engine light which is on and off because of a small evap leak somewhere
rear defogger also works. Its hard to drive home in the dark from work at night because i cant see the gauges even though they work. I like seeing my tachometer since i drive a 5 spd.

I might take it to the dealer for it and let them find the short and do the bcm just hope its not crazy expensive
thanks for the advice

REWARD EXCELLENCE!