SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
QuietStreet
QuietStreet is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1999 SW2
Default Does a gen3 front bumper cover fit a gen2?

My gen2 1998 SL2's front bumper cover has enough scuffs on it that I have been keeping an eye out for one in good condition and the same colour at my local u-pull autowrecker, and while I have not seen one arrive in over a year, they did just get in a gen3 2000 SL2 in the same colour and so I am wondering if:

1) Would a gen3 2000 SL2 front bumper cover fit my gen2 1998 SL2 (bolt up, mate with the bumper internals, and have its panel edges/curves mate to existing panels)?

2) Does anyone know if it will be noticeable aesthetically (both cars have a moulded in horizontal groove about 1 foot above the ground, and while the gen3 groove is deeper than the gen2 groove I am not sure if the difference would be noticeable or not being as the bumper cover's groove is short and separated from the continuation of the car's line by the front wheel)?

The 2nd question is clearly very subjective, but my complete lack of fashion sense means I can never tell what something looks like until it is finished, and so any opinions are appreciated, especially if you have tried or seen this already.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuietStreet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuietStreet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuietStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Does a gen3 front bumper cover fit a gen2?

The lines don't really match like you've indicated but I think the real problem area is the headlight shapes. Regardless, I don't think it would look right.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gen3 vs Gen3 front.JPG (40.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Gen3 vs Gen3 side.JPG (44.8 KB, 46 views)

2001 SL1 MT (428,500 km @ 01/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (272,500 km @ 01/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (120,506 km @ 01/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

There are some minor differences, I think a few members here have done a 3rd/2nd gen exterior swp in the past. The chassis is the same on both. I would recommend inspecting each individual part for the differences, which will likely include the bolt holes and fastener locations.

Trottida already covered the headlamps are different.

I think the fenders are the same, though.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Here's a good post by trottida showing almost similar angles of a 2nd and 3rd gen

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...91&postcount=2

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Here's a good post by trottida showing almost similar angles of a 2nd and 3rd gen

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...91&postcount=2

2001 SL1 MT (428,500 km @ 01/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (272,500 km @ 01/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (120,506 km @ 01/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
This would require the fenders, hood, headlamps, and front bumper to complete. So, the bumper would work, but it would not line up with anything else.

Thanks for finding that, because I couldn't recall the last person that actually had done this one.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:21 AM   #7
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

The people that did this grafted in the fender if I remember right... quicker to find a 2nd gen bumper and slap it on... or have some one look out for it and ship it greyhound.

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #8
QuietStreet
QuietStreet is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1999 SW2

Thank you all for your help, as it sounds like the consensus is that it won't work.

I am glad someone had already tried this or looked at it closely, because when I looked at a lot of gen2 and gen3 sedan photos I failed to see anything I thought would be noticeable except for the lower style line, but then as I pointed out I am rather style blind until I see something completely finished, and so you have saved me a lot of anguish.

At least I can scavenge the gen3 sedan's roof "drip mouldings" for our gen2 SL2 as those are identical (the clearcoat has started peeling off the drip mouldings on our gen2 and so replacing those will help keep the car looking nice).

Thanks again for the help, as it is much appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuietStreet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuietStreet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QuietStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietStreet View Post
while I have not seen one arrive in over a year, they did just get in a gen3 2000 SL2 in the same colour
Depending on the condition of the panels and how much time/money you want to spend, you could move over all the panels (hood, trunk lid, front and rear fenders, door panels, lights, everything except roof), converting your body from 2nd gen to 3rd gen.

I'm pretty sure that's been done before, though it is probably cheapest/best to buy a parts car, do the swap, and then sell the parts car

Guessing you are in Canada - maybe somebody has a line on other junkyards you can check? I found matching body parts on a trip to the Detroit area, about 90 miles from where I live.

Another thing you could do if you have lots of spare time - try the swap at the junkyard just for fit. Color does not need to match as you are just seeing what lines up

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote