SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
Scizie
Scizie is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1
Default SW1 No Start

Cranks and sparks, but will not start.

I parked her in a parking lot ran into the store came back and she wouldn't crank, tried to jump it (obviously did nothing). I got her towed home and i then put a new starter in it, now it will crank but it will not start. I put in new plugs and wires. If you give it some gas it will pop a bit here and there but it wont actually start up. Any ideas?

(yes there is gas in the tank and yes i can hear the pump priming)

Here is a video of what it is doing,
youtu.be/UFivkso0Cic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scizie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scizie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scizie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: SW1 No Start

Try a quick blast of starting-fluid. If no firing at all with that, then take compression readings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #3
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

That link does not work for me. What YouTube keywords should I search for? SW1 no start doesn't work for me unless this happened 4 years ago.

Edit: did you check all the relevant fuses?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
Scizie

1996 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
That link does not work for me. What YouTube keywords should I search for? SW1 no start doesn't work for me unless this happened 4 years ago.
youtube.com/watch?v=UFivkso0Cic&feature=youtu.be

the site wont let me post links because i havent made enough posts, so you are gonna have to copy past it. sorry for the trouble, not sure why it would pull up an old video for you, it pulls it up fine for me but there is the full URL^

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Scizie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #5
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Have you replaced the ECTS? Try cranking it with the gas pedal pressed completely to the floor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:26 PM   #6
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

That battery seems very flat to me. Both my saturns crank over a lot quicker. Can you charge or jump it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=UFivkso0Cic

I am wondering if the voltage is getting so low while cranking that it won't spark.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #7
Scizie

1996 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
That battery seems very flat to me. Both my saturns crank over a lot quicker. Can you charge or jump it?

I am wondering if the voltage is getting so low while cranking that it won't spark.
i was jumping it in that video, and the battery definitely does hold a charge

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
Scizie

1996 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Have you replaced the ECTS? Try cranking it with the gas pedal pressed completely to the floor.
yes i have changed the coolant temp sensor (forgot to mention that) didnt make an difference

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you have spark, what about fuel? Even when you hear the pump run doesn't mean fuel is injected. Fuel and pressure are pump operations but injectors are engine computer functions. Did you check for a blown injector fuse? Removed spark plugs after several starting attempts? Under normal conditions, turning the engine over without starting implies fuel was injected. Remove spark plugs and examine them for fuel, wet and smelling of fuel to verify injector operation.

Sometimes engines flood and drowns spark. Holding throttle wide open while starting tells the pcm to stop injector operation, clear out flooded cylinders and as plugs dry out, ignite the leaned air/fuel mixture for a sputtering startup. One or two starting attempts about 5-10 seconds with throttle wide open should result in starting up. This presumes spark and fuel are entering cylinders.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #10
Scizie

1996 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you have spark, what about fuel? Even when you hear the pump run doesn't mean fuel is injected. Fuel and pressure are pump operations but injectors are engine computer functions. Did you check for a blown injector fuse? Removed spark plugs after several starting attempts? Under normal conditions, turning the engine over without starting implies fuel was injected. Remove spark plugs and examine them for fuel, wet and smelling of fuel to verify injector operation.

Sometimes engines flood and drowns spark. Holding throttle wide open while starting tells the pcm to stop injector operation, clear out flooded cylinders and as plugs dry out, ignite the leaned air/fuel mixture for a sputtering startup. One or two starting attempts about 5-10 seconds with throttle wide open should result in starting up. This presumes spark and fuel are entering cylinders.

went out this morning and cleared the "flooded cylinders" (still not positive if they we actually flooded or not), didnt seem the make any difference. i then came back out about 30 min after that and tried starting it repeatedly (like 5 or 6 times) with 60% throttle, the final time it started firing on all cylinders but as soon as i let off the gas it died, so i gave it one more shot now in a fit of rage cranked the key and shot her up to red line, there was a huge cloud of smoke and then she died again, at this point im thinking ive totally porked her and im gonna have to buy a new engine, i optimistically gave her one more try with just my foot on the brake and she fired right up! she idles perfectly normal, no codes or anything, no smoke, running like nothing ever happened. took her around the block a few times no problems at all, so then i ballsed up and took her on the freeway, she ran like normal and fires up everytime now. i am absolutely baffled! i guess getting angry works out in you favor sometimes XD. huge thank you to everyone who gave me suggestions! you all have been incredible kind and helpful!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In case you come back for another round......

How long did you crank the engine to clear out a (suspected) flooded engine? If you cranked long enough with wide open throttle for 5-10 seconds at least two times without the engine firing up, there may be three things left preventing startup even though you got the car running again - worn spark plugs, worn fuel pump and clogged fuel filter (if it hasn't been replaced every 100k miles). Remove spark plugs for examination to check gaps and plug condition. A fuel pressure gauge, borrowed from AutoZone can display pressures at ignition on time and with engine idling. Expect between 40-55 psi with little bleed off after turning on ignition. Pressures should jump immediately without hesitation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:14 PM   #12
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Still sounds like it was flooded.

Did you replace the ECTS during this no-start episode? Did you inspect the ECTS connector for corrosion and wiring for breaks/splices when you replaced it?

Where did the temp gauge sit when you were out driving it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #13
Scizie

1996 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Still sounds like it was flooded.

Did you replace the ECTS during this no-start episode? Did you inspect the ECTS connector for corrosion and wiring for breaks/splices when you replaced it?

Where did the temp gauge sit when you were out driving it?
yes i did replace the ects, i didnt see any visible breaks in the wiring. it was sitting a bit below the half mark on the temperature gauge

REWARD EXCELLENCE!