SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
Saturnl300 03
Saturnl300 03 is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn l300 squeak

I have a squeaky noise on the rear end of the vehicle when I hit any type of bump or even juss driving an the car bounces a little. I've replaced the upper control arm bushings an 2 of the bushings at the lower kuckle. I'm going to replace the other 2 knuckle bushing soon but I'm thinking that's not what's making the noise so I dont want to keep throwing money at it. It's a 03 l300. Please help ! I tried posting a link to a YouTube video of exactly what it's doing but unfortunately it would not let me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnl300 03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnl300 03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturnl300 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn l300 squeak

It could be that the upper and lower suspension bushes (also known as rose joints) have worn out.

You have 6 main bushings on the rear suspension;

2 upper rose bushes
2 lower rose bushes
2 trailing arm bushes at the forward end of the arms.

I replaced all 6 last summer on my sons 2003 L300, same year as yours. They were in a terrible state. I do believe I put a thread on my job.

You also have the Lateral arms, which you said you replaced the upper bushes and were going to replace the lower ones.

Apart from that, the only other bushes you have are the actual rubber bushes that isolate the rear suspension to the body and of course the 2 rear struts.

The top of the struts is hidden behind the plastic inner fender, so can get overlooked. If you try and bounce on the rear fenders you may be able to determine if the squeak is coming from the struts.

At 15 years old, there are bound to be lots of rubber stuff that's worn, perished or just plain knackered.

On the rose bushes and trailing arm ones, I bought mine from the UK as the prices are much better. The L series was based on the Opel Vectra B. That car was a big seller in Europe, so the parts market is so much better than here where the L series didn't sell well and Saturn shut up shop.
Hope this helps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
Saturnl300 03

Well after some searching i guess i replaced the lower rose bushes an next is the upper. The other ones I replaced was the ones that are by the gas tank. I'm sorry for not knowing all the part names im new to working on cars. But I've managed to do all my own work on this car. I still have a feeling that replacing the last 2 upper rose bushes is not gonna fix my squeaking problem it sounds like 2 pieces of steel or something rubbing together. There is a YouTube video that is the same exact noise mine has if u have time to look at it it's called (2000 saturn squeaky rear). I will go home today and check the rest of the stuff u recommended. And also I replaced both rear struts so that's not it either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnl300 03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Drive in the Rust Belt? I wonder if one or several steel bushings are worn. They're hiding on the ends of upper and lower control arms. Several worn ones were found when I struggled to replace them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steel bushings.jpg (10.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg worn steel bushing next to new one.jpg (26.6 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:18 AM   #5
Saturnl300 03

Thanks guys I replaced the upper rose bushings an it solved the problem. No more squeak!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!