SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2019, 02:30 AM   #1
kewlpop
kewlpop is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default 1995 S stock radio/cassette has no display, no reception.

1995 Saturn S, ~190,000, and #2 cylinder so fouled up i'm about to give up on the car, but that's another issue.

what i've got going on right now is the stock radio has no led display, no clock, no stations, just a blank display screen with the yellowish backlight.

buttons not working.

but....

i do hear slight static coming from the speakers. albeit with the volume control knob at max.

within the last two weeks the radio has actually cut off with same symptoms temporarily, but came back to life.

now it seems to be permanently dead.

one interesting observation is that when the radio shut off and came back on, the clock would reset to 1:00.

my car battery is probably in need of a replacement, but i have been able to give it a good charge using a reliable ol' skool trickle battery charger.

any chance this could be causing the radio symptom, or just coincidence?

thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kewlpop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kewlpop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kewlpop is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: 1995 S stock radio/cassette has no display, no reception.

The clock reset would indicate it lost power. Based on the sound I would say it is something internal within the radio. They are cheap to buy used so I wouldn't even consider trying to fix it.

2001 SL1 MT (428,500 km @ 01/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (272,500 km @ 01/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (120,506 km @ 01/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
kewlpop

1995 SL

i am also guessing most likely it is hardware radio failure, and won't bother with any troubleshooting of possible breaks in connection along the electrical pathway.

unless someone else has other suggestions, i will go on the hunt for a new system.

i'm a very practical kind of person, on a low budget. what are some good replacements?

the cassette deck gave up the ghost well over a decade ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kewlpop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

They're cheap to buy when they're useless piles of electronics, once someone add's a useful aux port (that cost's $0.30, and maybe an hour to install) to it the price jumps from $30 to $300.

'95-'99 will swap right in. <THIS> is probably your best bet on eBay right now, there's no 2nd gen CD players and the higher priced tape w/EQ unit doesn't even have all the knobs (easy to swap if you have the same style unit, I believe Saturn/GM put different size knobs on each style unit).

They're pretty generic Delco units so if you have soldering experience/ability it should be fairly simple to open up and fix using various GM radio repair guides.

If you start looking at the $100 price level of used OEM radio's, I'd STRONGLY suggest looking at aftermarket radios as well. They offer so many more features in the same or smaller package it's crazy to stay with OEM unless you just require the fully stock look.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
kewlpop

1995 SL

thanks for the info fetch. exactly the type of advice i need.

for some reason i am actually leaning to keep the stock look.

i'm not too fancy, and don't require access to my spotify account while on the road. (i have no spotfiy acct.)

mainly, i just need a basic working FM reception to keep me grounded, and not necessarily for the tunes.

not to get too personal, but i need to recharge on a daily basis by listening to some good bible teaching. lots of great stations to choose from where i live.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I currently have an XO vision XD-103 in my car. It's available on Amazon for $15, might be cheaper elsewhere. I wrote a review on here somewhere, biggest thing is that the clock does not stay on top, and when turned off it is completely black (no clock). Next is that it forgets I set it for random music after it is powered off.

I think FM was decent but don't really listen to radio

edit: review
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186377

Best thing is that I have an old 8gb SD card in there loaded with about 3~4 hours of music and there is room for plenty more

There is a similar cheap unit on ebay right now for about $15~17 that looks like the clock might stay on top that I will be getting soon. The downside is that these require adapters and such, about $20 additional last I checked. Brings the net price to $35~45

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 01-09-2019 at 12:52 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I currently have an XO vision XD-103 in my car. It's available on Amazon for $15, might be cheaper elsewhere. I wrote a review on here somewhere, biggest thing is that the clock does not stay on top, and when turned off it is completely black (no clock). Next is that it forgets I set it for random music after it is powered off.

I think FM was decent but don't really listen to radio

edit: review
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186377

Best thing is that I have an old 8gb SD card in there loaded with about 3~4 hours of music and there is room for plenty more

There is a similar cheap unit on ebay right now for about $15~17 that looks like the clock might stay on top that I will be getting soon. The downside is that these require adapters and such, about $20 additional last I checked. Brings the net price to $35~45
I noticed the O vision XD-107 is available on Amazon for about the same price and it has Bluetooth connectivity as well.

2001 SL1 MT (428,500 km @ 01/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (272,500 km @ 01/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (120,506 km @ 01/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
I noticed the O vision XD-107 is available on Amazon for about the same price and it has Bluetooth connectivity as well.
Ugh, I posted the wrong link. Thanks for mentioning the XD107

I mentioned the XD107 in my review here (currently $16 at the Walmart site - may allow for free instore pickup depending on location)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?p=2230306

and some buyers mentioned it also comes with a remote control

The "no clock on top" thing is annoying enough that I am looking for a replacement unit. I emailed their support and they confirmed that there is no way to keep the clock on top.

I'm going to buy the ebay unit I mentioned in a month or two and post a review after. The other thing is that my instrument panel gauges are red now and the stereo LEDs are blue. Minor, but I would like them to match

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote