SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Will I end up with 5w-30?
Yes 4 44.44%
No 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #1
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2
Default Math Q: Cheap Expensive Oil

I was in the Bridgeport, CT AutoZone looking for 5w-30 Full Synthetic oil to top off my daughter’s 2008 Nissan Sentra and I saw an irresistible Clearance Offer on Quaker State Full Synthetic 0w-20 for $2.00 per quart. I bought 3 quarts.

Question: If I combine 2 quarts of 0w-20 with 2 quarts of 10w-40, will I end up with 4 quarts of 5w-30? All common sense says the answer is ‘Yes’.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2019, 12:59 AM   #2
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2
Default Re: Math Q: Cheap Expensive Oil

Mixing viscositys is usually fine, although mixing brands usually isn't. Is all the oil the same brand?

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:53 AM   #3
Eiron
Eiron will become famous soon enoughEiron will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
Question: If I combine 2 quarts of 0w-20 with 2 quarts of 10w-40, will I end up with 4 quarts of 5w-30? All common sense says the answer is ‘Yes’.
You'll probably end up with something a bit thinner overall. If it were mine, I'd only mix one quart of 0W-20 with three quarts of 10W-40. But that's just me.

He's dead Jim!
You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eiron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eiron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Every night before I go to bed, I have milk and cookies. One night I mixed some low-fat milk and some pasteurized, then I dipped my cookie in and the ***** blew up. Why me?

Richard Pryor

ya never know...

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Wrench Re: Math Q: Cheap Expensive Oil

Quote:
......Clearance Offer on Quaker State Full Synthetic 0w-20 for $2.00 per quart. I bought 3 quarts.

1-You are committing blasphemy as an oil monger. Unabashed adulterous manner mixing pure synthetic with crude oil. Heresy at the highest level of non religious activity.

2-You are not committing blasphemy as an oil monger. The engine will never realize your caring attitude to blend a wonderful concoction of two different oils and viscosities to allow this Sentra to have its cake and eat it (really cold weather starting) with a happy battery during winter season. If your daughter doesn't love you for this, disown her.

Pick one of the two.

I would have bought out the entire stock of syn oil at that price but that's just me. While I don't need 0w20 for NYC balmy winters, this would make my battery so happy. I would probably get out I in deep snow dumps so I can get stuck. Maybe entertain front wheel tire chains everyone raves about on YouTube........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I would have bought out the entire stock of syn oil at that price but that's just me.
+1, not like you have to watch an expiration date - and you can always find a use for it later.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Just to be clear, I would mix it with my old standby Walmart Super Tech Full Synthetic 10w-40 (instead of the usual 5w-30) and only at the next oil change.

Otherwise I have two good quarts of top-off-oil in the garage when nothing else is available during the cold winter months.

• 1994 SL1 new traded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Oh rats!?

Correction to post #5 in view of updated info. Ignore Step -1. In its place; blend away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #9
dummo
Master Member

1997 SW2

Quote:
Oh rats!?

Correction to post #5 in view of updated info. Ignore Step -1. In its place; blend away.
...and what about those baby step 'Synthetic Blend/Semi-Synthetic' oils? Whats up with that? I'm starting to think I can mix up just about anything labeled motor oil if desired?

• 1994 SL1 new traded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Now you've gone too far. Blasphemy!?

All seriousness aside, er, joking aside, the petroleum companies will never evah say "Do not commit oil heresy by mixing pure chemically made synthetic with home grown fossil fuel taking billions of years to bake up underneath us." Every oil company will forever shout spout compatibility with mixing oil whether fossil or made in a lab. It's presumed the majority of fossil fueled vehicles, airplanes and jets will use the recommended oil viscosity from owner's manuals. Mixing is regarded as ok and does not matter if diluting Mobil -1 with Harry's Bait&Tackle 5w20 genuine fossil oil. The engine doesn't care as long as it's lubricated and changing its diaper is done at prescribed intervals. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone performing a side by side engine tear down with one using crude against the other using synthetic against a third using blends. Run what you brung. Even though blending is fine, there are factors to consider.

Will you get the best of custom blends? Does one oil lower the overall performance of the other? Can you keep this blend in the engine longer to maximize performance while reducing costs? Does the engine suffer from mixing oils? In the latest rounds of the impeachment hearings, oil blends may not garner the attention of the National Enquirer or whatever the oil company rags trot out for public consumption.

Personally, I'd use whatever is sold on discount with branding, even Wal-Mart since Wal-Mart commands attention when selling to millions of loyal buyers. That form of loyalty gets the attention when Wal-Mart asks an oil company to develop or repackage oil but label it as
W-M and sell at lower cost. Imagine if W-M sold their brand of oil and it destroys engines across the country? That would be blasphemy or heresy. I can't remember which word is stronger in a non religious way. W-M would be boycotted by those loyal to it.

Naturally, I disavow anything stated as gospel. The old adage still applies - do your own research for fact checking. I'm just another diyer here. I've done my research and I'm sticking to M1 oil until my engine croaks. Steady synthetic with one or two bouts of regular oil since '05. 108k miles with zero oil consumption using extended oil change intervals that might scare many still clinging to 3k mile cycles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #11
dummo
Master Member

1997 SW2

I heard someone say that someone said they heard Trump say "I don't want to mix oil. Just tell those Saturnfans to do the right thing!"... and he wasn't in a good mood either.

• 1994 SL1 new traded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #12
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

This mix is nothing new. Many of us have used synthetic blend oil for years.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorcraf...SABEgI1gPD_BwE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #13
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
I heard someone say that someone said they heard Trump say "I don't want to mix oil. Just tell those Saturnfans to do the right thing!"... and he wasn't in a good mood either.
I interpret that to mean he was trying to cause a run on AmsOil 5W-30 HDDiesel oil.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #14
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

Quote:
Oh dear! Now you've really done it. An oil thread mixed with Trump.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Oil and Trump doesn't mix. I think oil becomes adulterated, degraded with unanticipated engine issues.

My apologies to forum and visitors for using the current fishing expedition, aka the impeachment hearings. Let's just call it QPQ/Gate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #16
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Oil and Trump doesn't mix. I think oil becomes adulterated, degraded with unanticipated engine issues.

My apologies to forum and visitors for using the current fishing expedition, aka the impeachment hearings. Let's just call it QPQ/Gate.
Impeachment hearings = The Less Than Special Olympics.......

It's sort of like a really bad reality TV show that you know will get renewed - despite abysmal ratings.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2019, 11:15 PM   #17
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

This reminds me of when I had a yard car working at the salvage yard. A 2002 Tahoe with a 5.3 V8. It had an oil cooler line leaking and would leak about a quart every week as it ran for 6-7 hours ever day, mostly idling. I would often find completely full bottles of oil in newly arrived cars (wrecked cars, salvage yard remember), of various brands and viscosity. They all found their way into that 5.3 lol, from full synthetics to dino, 0w20 to 15w40. I ran it like that for well over two years, would put a new filter on it every few months, but never really did an "oil change" on it per say, just replenished what leaked out. That was probably 5 years ago now, I still work there but in a difference department, no longer in a yard truck, but that crazy thing is STILL going strong to this day. Had to put a few fuel pumps in it, GM's do NOT like junk yard recycled gas it turns out lol, but after the second one you learn to cut a hole in the floor to make it quicker the next time...

I would NEVER do it in my personal vehicle, but for a salvaged junk yard work ride, heck yeah lol.

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #18
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
...and what about those baby step 'Synthetic Blend/Semi-Synthetic' oils? Whats up with that? I'm starting to think I can mix up just about anything labeled motor oil if desired?

Oil company: looks at 5-qt jug of conventional oil selling for $10

Oil company: looks at 5-qt jug of synthetic oil selling for $25

Oil company: mixes on quart of synthetic oil with 4 qts of conventional oil, slaps on a "synthetic blend" sticker, sells 5 qt jug for $20

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #19
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Many moons ago ---

When I still rode a Norton 850 Commando - I had a riding bro - who had an older rat 750 Commando... It leaked and burned oil at such a rate - and my buddy was on welfare - so he would show up and ask if I had any waste oil from my latest oil change. He would filter out the nuts and bolts with an old sock - and dump it in his 750.... He went like that for years - till he checked out with brain cancer...

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #20
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Oil company: looks at 5-qt jug of conventional oil selling for $10

Oil company: looks at 5-qt jug of synthetic oil selling for $25

Oil company: mixes on quart of synthetic oil with 4 qts of conventional oil, slaps on a "synthetic blend" sticker, sells 5 qt jug for $20
Similar to anti freeze sold as 50/50 premixed with water at more than twice the price of one gallon of 100% antifreeze. After buying two gallons of premixed antifreeze, it costs more than a gallon of straight antifreeze.......... This must be the new math or people with more disposable income. Water costs more when buying it compared to turning on the faucet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!