SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #21
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: So long and thanks for all the fish........

Yes, but go watch some of the DIY youtube videos so you know how they work and how to install them. A couple of characteristics of capacitors to keep in mind are the following:
1) in the completely discharged state a capacitor appears as an almost complete short(zero impedance) to the power source(your battery).
2) the internal resistance of a capacitor is close to zero.

The low internal resistance is how they manage to provide a very high current to the load while maintain basically whatever voltage they were charged to. What this means is the starter sees 12+v at whatever current it draws instead of 8v -10v in any conventional system.

These things are great for cold weather outdoor parking/storage conditions. You still have to keep your battery on a trickle starter but the starter will spin like it was summer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #22
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

These capacitor banks are capable of delivering an incredible amount of energy in a very short time. You really do not want to short circuit one as you will end up making a superheated plasma cloud that is incredibly destructive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #23
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: So long and thanks for all the fish........

Again, thanks everyone for all the kind sentiments.
I am deeply touched and appreciative.

As for the supercapacitors, I am running this exact one on the truck and this is what I will add to the Camaro (see photo)-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Farad-Capac...MAAOSw~vpaILdQ
You must have a balancing board to equalize the voltage across each capacitor in the bank.
This is a readily available and cheap way to go and I just ordered another one today for the Camaro.
I added a 175 amp fuse for safety and used doubled 6 gauge wires on the positive and a very large braided strap in the negative to the battery terminals of the truck.

It makes the starter turn much faster and should prolong the battery life because it handles the starting impulse load better than the battery alone can do.
It also starts without discharging the battery as much as the battery alone.
It therefore charges back up quicker and oddly enough the vehicles I have put them on run smoother (not totally sure why, but they definitely do).

I am running smaller 20 farad units on the bike and Cruze (because the Cruze has a far smaller engine and I had previously fitted a diesel battery into it).
They are similar to the one that trottida showed, but I designed and printed my own enclosures for them (see rendering).

There are many YouTube videos about these booster capacitors.
But unlike a lot of internet things they really do work.
And yes, with the larger ones you can actually start and run the car without any battery..!

Caution-
As OldNuc said you have to be very careful to charge the capacitor bank up to about the same voltage as the battery before connecting them together, but otherwise they are easy to install.
I used an older battery charger on a 2 ampere charge rate to get the capacitor bank voltage within +/-0.05 volts of the battery before making the final connection.
To show you how much energy these things can store, even at a 2 ampere charge rate it took several minutes to get up to the target voltage.

Definitely use a fuse in series with them...!
The short circuit current a bank like this can provide is nothing short of incredible.

P.S.- I like fish, but the SC2 has left the stable.
Never say never though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Booster1.jpg (95.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20Fbank.jpg (39.5 KB, 12 views)

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

Last edited by DIYguy; 08-23-2018 at 10:18 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #24
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
These capacitor banks are capable of delivering an incredible amount of energy in a very short time. You really do not want to short circuit one as you will end up making a superheated plasma cloud that is incredibly destructive.
Ehhhh... maybe I'll just stick with the 850CCA battery I currently have... I was thinking more of the smaller types for just stabilizing energy flow then just all out replacing the battery.

Battery so powerful I can just tap the key and it fires up no matter what. Probably how I burnt out the 19 years old battery main battery cables now that I think of it.

If any user helped you, be sure to rep them.

Late 99 SC2 2.5 Gen, 237k miles

"Well... Now my car looks like a blackbarry." - Medtactics, 2017

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #25
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

So buy this one-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6Pcs-Farad-...cAAOSw9NdXsX~v
This is the one I used for the Cruze and bike.
I can post the .stl files for the case if you want to print one.
They work great and should only help.

The diesel battery in the Cruze is rated at something close to 1000 CCA with a huge reserve, but even so the supercapacitor board helps, particularly since it is a "weekend" car.

DIYguy

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #26
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is a good bump on the starter performance when it is hit with ~14volts instead of ~10-8volts regardless of battery capacity as initial starting current is coming from the capacitor instead of the battery. The capacitor is an almost infinite current source. As this is a rather obscure concept for mot watching the yuotube demonstrations will either convince of the fact or that this is just magic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #27
OldNuc

1998 SC2

most, not mot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #28
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

Yes, instead of being limited by the internal impedance (and sluggish chemistry in colder weather) of the battery, the capacitor response is more or less instantaneous and does not sag appreciably during brief engine cranking.

I noticed especially on the motorcycle, but even on the truck and Cruze, that the "running" voltage of the system with the capacitors is significantly higher than without them, despite having active charging system voltage regulation in all cases.
I would chalk this up to the capacitors smoothing to the peaks of the alternator ripples and possibly the way the meter being used to read the voltage deals with any ripple.
I haven't bothered hooking up an oscilloscope to a system having them yet but suspect that I know what I would see.

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #29
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is a worthwhile addition to any vehicle. On the start the system is pulled down to 10-8volt although just about everything except what is continuously powered. Most of these systems are not real tolerant of low voltage, ripple, or noise. The cap bank solves all of this along with giving 3-4 start attempts even with a completely shot battery. For repeated starts takes a big capacitor bank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #30
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

Yes, exactly.
Not only does the starter turn faster but the fuel and ignition systems have a stiffer (lower impedance, less sag) source to draw current from.
I can't wait to add one to the Camaro and have a spot set aside to mount it just below the front fuse box.
It should arrive around Labor Day.
The catch can will mount to the front of the engine on a fabricated aluminum bracket and should be very simple to install.

I acquired another bike this morning and very likely it will also receive a capacitor battery booster.
I suspect that the DMV is loving me lately.
Sales taxes and transfer fees both coming and going.
But now things should settle down for a while (I hope).

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2018, 11:20 PM   #31
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Your contributions will certainly be missed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #32
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post

I acquired another bike this morning and very likely it will also receive a capacitor battery booster.
I remember what was probably only the 3rd or 4th time I saw a CBX in the wild. We were up hiking at Joshua Tree National Monument, came back to the parking area and there it was. And it had the most incredible 6 into 1 header I've ever seen short of a vintage race car or something. I couldn't find any branding, must have been a custom piece at the time.

And to this day, I don't think I've ever ridden any 6 cylinder bikes. IIRC there was some off the wall brand in the 70's that made one... Benelli maybe?

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #33
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

Quote:
Your contributions will certainly be missed.
Thanks, I am deeply touched by all of the kind sentiments.
I will likely not be going away completely, I will just be tapering off slowly.

Quote:
I remember what was probably only the 3rd or 4th time I saw a CBX in the wild.
As for the CBX, it is something I have wanted ever since I first laid eyes on one.
This one fell into my lap more or less.
Even though it needs a LOT of work to be roadworthy once again, it will be a true labor of love for me.
It sat idle for years and so the brake calipers have all locked up.
The tank is dented (see photos) and the suspension needs rebuilding.
I will have to go through the carbs (all six of them) and very carefully bring the engine back to life.

And a photo of the SC2's successor thrown in for good measure.......

All the very best wishes to everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _CBX1.jpg (25.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _CBX2.jpg (42.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg _CBX3.jpg (23.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg _camaro1a.jpg (23.0 KB, 10 views)

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #34
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Nice CBX! I have recently gotten my 1981 GN400 running again after a 15 year hiatus. Thankfully it only has one carb. I think (hope) I found the last blockage yesterday. I've had it apart 4 times now. My 89 FJ still awaits. I bet that Camaro wishes it was a Saturn.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #35
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

The GN400's were/are nice bikes.
I have a friend who has a similar vintage one, a 400E (twin), I think.

Quote:
I bet that Camaro wishes it was a Saturn.
No, it already thinks it is a Saturn.....

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!