SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
ghyman
ghyman is on a distinguished road

Sad 2000 Ls-2

I have owned my Saturn for six years.
In that time;
Blown speaker during the first year.
"Sticky" trunk latch; trunk won't close every time, = dented trunk from the boy at the grocery store repeatedly slamming it trying to get it to latch.
Replaced turn signal / multi-function switch <30000 miles. (Local garage, $250)
Replaced Brakes < 35000 miles
Replaced tail light assembly and some wiring (Local garage after Saturn dealer said it's not the same problem as the recall) $200
Replaced water pump < 40000 miles (Went out on the way to work with no prior warning lights or noise) Local garage, $350
Replaced brakes appx 50000 miles
Replaced Engine Computer <55000 miles (Local garage, appx $1000 + 3 weeks; Saturn kept sending them the wrong part)
Replaced Timing Belt / Gear appx 55000 miles (Saturn dealer, $1200)
Replaced Computer <60000 miles (Saturn dealer, no charge for part... previous one still under warranty.)
Replaced brakes, 10 months after the last brakes.
Replaced Engine (cracked head?) Still no final cost.
Replaced Heater core, radiator, hoses, thermostat (Damaged due to oil in the coolant from the cracked head) Still no cost. Saturn says the online reports of continuous problems with cracked heads are about a "different" engine.
New engine started immediately, ran flawlessly for 3 days, then decided not to start any more...
Replace Ignition Control Module (Still no cost; Saturn dealer convinced local garage that the ICM is 'probably OK'; local garage has spent 3 weeks checking everything else.) Dealer says ICM recall does not apply to this engine.

I have changed the oil regularly, I keep it in a garage 90% of the time when I'm home. I have the radiator flushed every 2 years. I armor-all the interior and wash and wax the exterior at least once a month. I take care of my vehicle.

I bought a Saturn because it was "a different kind of car, a different kind of company".

It has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned.

I am writing this simply to blow off some steam. This past weekend, my first grandchild was born. I have been unable to see him, because my Saturn has been in the shop constantly for the past month as a result of the latest round of catastrophic failures. My rental car is for local driving only; I never imagined it would take so much time and money and troubleshooting to fix the Saturn again. I was unable to fly out to see him, because the cost of the rental car is bleeding me of all "extra" income.

So forgive me for whining, but I just didn't feel I can pump another $1500 (so far) into this car without letting someone know just how disappointing this vehicle has been since it was new.

Good day

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ghyman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ghyman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ghyman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
snurfle
snurfle is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2000 Ls-2

Wow.
I had similar problems with mine --

Still, I had to replace the control module (mine was covered by the dealer... he said they have an EPA-mandated 8yr 80K mile warranty on the computer).
Cracked head, complete with all of the brown-gooey sludge leaking out of the coolant overflow tank.
The dealer told me I needed to replace the timing set when my water pump went out; also less than 50K miles.
There was a recall on the control modules, but it was only on the 4-cylinders.
The dealer also took care of the tail light assembly on a recall.

The next step will be a wheel bearing. I started getting a "Whub whub whub" around 60K miles; I had the brakes replaced (pads and rotors on all four, second time!), but still had the same sound. They traced it to the driver's side real wheel bearing. Brace yourself, it's expensive!

My advice is to trade that car in as soon as you can.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snurfle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snurfle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snurfle is offline   Reply With Quote