SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
2008vueXE
2008vueXE is on a distinguished road

Default Vue 3-5R wave plate

Hi all. Just found this site and im glad. I have a 08 Vue XE with 77,000 miles. Last Friday while going downslope on a freeway, I gave it gas on the bottom upslope but no power but the engine was running fine. I pulled over and now while on D, the car barely moves forward. The rpm guage shows that it wont go pass 4000 rpm. Web research shows that its a common thing for the 08 Vue. A 3-5r wave plate breaks. Ive nevered changed the fluid since its a sealed tranny. Is that correct? Sealed meaning it should last the lifetime? Also... Is this a comfirmed 100000 mile warranty fix even thou the fluid has never been changed do to being sealed? The shop called this afternoon and said they had to take it apart and said there was metal pieces in the fluid. they said to call tomorrow morning for a update since the tech guys are gone for the day. Does this mean it IS covered by the warranty? Anyone had this issue too?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2008vueXE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2008vueXE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2008vueXE is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
2008vueXE

Default Re: Vue 3-5R wave plate

Also, if its a 100000 mile warranty job, do I get a rental for free by gm?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2008vueXE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
2008vueXE

Ok. Dealer called. Torque converter broke and some other gear. Mentioned nothing about wave plate. I asked if the gear is the wave plate, he said "uhhhhhhhhhhhh....". Dear god in scared.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

at least its warranty...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
2008vueXE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
at least its warranty...
Ya. Warranty saved it. They are doing 2 recalls too. Oil light sensor and heater hose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
2008vueXE

Ok, heres the final results.

Dealer found

"Low reverse input tube cracked (replaced)"

"Burnt torque converter (replaced)"

"replaced intermediate 4th band"

"flushed cooler"

The recalls was

"heater core leak. Modify hoses as specified"

"change engine oil light sensor and reprogram ip cluster"

I asked the dealer if there was a conclusion in why the torque converter burnt. He said they don't know and maybe it was the cracked low reverse input tube. The car runs normal now but on Saturday morning the Check Engine light was on. I unplugged the battery for 5 minutes and it cleared it. But now its back again. I called the dealer and they said they did nothing to the engine. He said they will draw the code so pass by.

Does this ring any bells for anyone here? Oh.. And I did get a few rental. The job took 3 days. By the way, my engine does NOT have the 35 r wave plate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
thimmaker
thimmaker is on a distinguished road

The 35R wave plate (3rd, 5th, reverse) is only in the 6 speed trans. Mine went out on my 08 redline at 58,000 and was replaced under waranty. Runs great now. Unfortunatly, in trying to move the car in to the service bay, after warning them that it jumps in and out of gear, they drove it into something in reverse and wiped out the rear bumper, rear quarter panel, and both left doors. Its great now, but i'm sure it cost them a bundle. The rear quarter panel includes both door frames.!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008vueXE View Post
Ok, heres the final results.

Dealer found

"Low reverse input tube cracked (replaced)"

"Burnt torque converter (replaced)"

"replaced intermediate 4th band"

"flushed cooler"

The recalls was

"heater core leak. Modify hoses as specified"

"change engine oil light sensor and reprogram ip cluster"

I asked the dealer if there was a conclusion in why the torque converter burnt. He said they don't know and maybe it was the cracked low reverse input tube. The car runs normal now but on Saturday morning the Check Engine light was on. I unplugged the battery for 5 minutes and it cleared it. But now its back again. I called the dealer and they said they did nothing to the engine. He said they will draw the code so pass by.

Does this ring any bells for anyone here? Oh.. And I did get a few rental. The job took 3 days. By the way, my engine does NOT have the 35 r wave plate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thimmaker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thimmaker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thimmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
2008vueXE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thimmaker View Post
The 35R wave plate (3rd, 5th, reverse) is only in the 6 speed trans. Mine went out on my 08 redline at 58,000 and was replaced under waranty. Runs great now. Unfortunatly, in trying to move the car in to the service bay, after warning them that it jumps in and out of gear, they drove it into something in reverse and wiped out the rear bumper, rear quarter panel, and both left doors. Its great now, but i'm sure it cost them a bundle. The rear quarter panel includes both door frames.!!!
Wow! Well.. New parts I guess. But id rather get my car back like I left it. Example, the check engine light was a upper engine smog line. The tech left it unplugged. On the second morning it would always come back. Plugged it in and the lights gone. Anyways, when the tranny failed and got towed, the tow guy locked the key in the car. The dealer told me they had to call a locksmith to open it. I doubt it, im sure the tech used the ol slim jim cuz now everytime I lock the door or D locks it, it rattles a bit. Not loud but also its not a nice solid thump like the rest of the doors have. Not too happy with the shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2017, 04:53 PM   #9
NiagaraWarrior
NiagaraWarrior is on a distinguished road

My '08 Saturn VUE had recently suffered from this problem with relatively low mileage. (transmission failed at 82,000km). I had ZERO issues up until when I was driving up a steep hill and all of a sudden the engine over revved, RPM shot up really high and i nearly lost control into the shoulder. At my request the transmission shop did a flush and found metal bits, but no OBD readings or engine warnings. The tech suggested that the 3-5-R plate was failing and it would be a matter of time (he also discovered the hidden Warranty offered by GM). He told me the only way GM would honor it is if the 3-5-R was utterly destroyed and recommended i drive it roughly, until it failed, It was suggested that it could take months to fail. My transmission failed 1 day later and i didnt even try to stress it out. Without warning i just lost engine power to the transmission and had to push it off the busy road, (ive read that sometimes you can continue to drive long enough to get to a repair shop using the manual mode, but this didnt work for me. Fortunately i could get it into neutral and towed).

I had my VUE towed to "Falls Chevrolet Cadillac Buick GMC" where they honored the hidden Warranty and replaced my 3-5-R wave plate at no cost. I am quite pleased with their service and speed, my VUE has never felt better

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NiagaraWarrior's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NiagaraWarrior reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NiagaraWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #10
luklyz
luklyz is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

After reading those posts here is a side note (you can correct me if I'm wrong).
The 2008vueXE User has a 2.4 Vue not 3.6 and the 3-5-r is a common issue in 3.6 not 2.4. Those are two different cars with different issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luklyz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luklyz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luklyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #11
luklyz
luklyz is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

After reading those posts here is a side note (you can correct me if I'm wrong).
The 2008vueXE User has a 2.4 Vue not 3.6 and the 3-5-r is a common issue in 3.6 not 2.4. Those are two different cars with different issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luklyz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luklyz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luklyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #12
NGFD14
NGFD14 will become famous soon enoughNGFD14 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
2000 SL2

My transmission wave plate issue surfaced in my 09 Vue XE AWD 3.5 last Friday when I was 2 hours into a 10 hour drive. I nursed the vehicle back home in 4th gear. Was torn apart today and confirmed damaged wave plates. Extended warrranty on this issue to 193,000 Kms. I have 189000 Kms on my Vue. There was very little warning of the failure of the tranny. Two days before the catastrophic failure, I put in reverse when vehicle was cold and while it did back up, it felt like an old 4x4 transfer case binding up. It worked good after that. Two days later I was climbing a hill at highway speed and the tranny kicked down and I heard a snap. The Vue is a great working vehicle and hopefully the repair will get it back to where it was before the failure of the tranny.
GM dealer doing repair at no cost. Thank you GM for doing the "right thing"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2818.JPG (53.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2466.JPG (152.5 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NGFD14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NGFD14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NGFD14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #13
Oscar Moreno
Oscar Moreno is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Sometimes I have the left turn signal on but I can not hear the clicking sound. What would cause that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oscar Moreno's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oscar Moreno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oscar Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #14
Oscar Moreno
Oscar Moreno is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Me too. I hope GM covers it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oscar Moreno's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oscar Moreno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oscar Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #15
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Oscar,

Based on the numbers the prior poster listed, I doubt GM will. I went up the chain on mine and they wouldn't even help. I was 4 days outside the 10 year window based on the day we did the paperwork, but inside the window based on the day we physically got the vehicle. I was well within the mileage. I went in with the attitude, what can you do for me and did not demand a replacement tranny. Lst GM vehicle I will buy. Dealership tried to work with me, but their hands were tied by GM.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #16
selmorides
selmorides is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L

Hello everybody. I'm a newbie here and only found you by looking up my transmission. This appears to be the newest post on this matter so here I go.

My VUE AWD XE, under 59000 miles is now at a Chevy dealer for trans repair. Last week at about 70 mph, 150 miles from home, I asked my wife WTF, did you just bump the shifter. I heard the motor rev up. I made it to my hotel OK and even drove to Miller Park in Milwaukee. After that, I lost reverse and had only first gear. Next day, I rented a U-Haul truck and trailer to get me and my wife and our VUE back home.

I went my nearest Chevy dealer and was pleased to find out about the extended warranty. If this happened three months from now I'm SOL. Small dealer having issues with absenteeism. Been very hot and humid here. I get it.

We have other vehicles to drive. If this gets done without costing me, I can be very patient. I'll let you know how it turns out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to selmorides's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help selmorides reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
selmorides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:02 AM   #17
selmorides
selmorides is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L

It has been 4 weeks today when I left my VUE at a Chevy dealer. According to the dealer, the trans has been apart twice and it still isn't right. They are getting a new? trans from Detroit this week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to selmorides's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help selmorides reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
selmorides is offline   Reply With Quote