SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2000, 08:00 AM   #1
Mr Mike
Mr Mike is on a distinguished road

Default Gear Ratios - What do they really mean?

Hi room! I'm the proud owner of a 2001 SC1 (yes, i went for the marginal increase in miles per gallon - over performance). Anyway, the 3door Black coupe is very eye-catching and I'm getting used to the new feeling of the car. I stumbled upon the gear ratios for the SC and am wondering if someone could explain what they mean.
1st: 3.25:1
2nd: 1.95:1
3rd: 1.42:1
4th: 1.03:1
5th: .73:1
Final Drive: 4.06:1

I'm guessing that the gear ratios mean that the motor is turning (in the example of 1st) 3.25 times for each revolution of the tire. But, the final drive stumps me!

peace.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr Mike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr Mike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2000, 09:55 PM   #2
RacingJason
RacingJason is on a distinguished road

You have two "sets" of gear reduction in a car. The first set is the transmission itself. That is where the first set of numbers comes from. Final drive is the gearset located in the differential. You multiply the gear ratio of the tranmission by the final drive ratio get the gear reduction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RacingJason's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RacingJason reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2000, 08:40 AM   #3
Mr Mike

Thanks Jason. So, am I right in saying that it's the motor revolutions v. the tire rotation for the gear ratios?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mr Mike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2000, 01:16 PM   #4
lgra
lgra is on a distinguished road

RacingJason has it correct. Look at it this way: The engine drives the transmission, the transmission drives the axle, the axle drives the wheels. When in first gear the engine will turn 3.23 revolutions to turn the tranmission output shaft one revolution. the transmission output shaft will then have to turn 4.06 revolutions to turn the wheels one revolution. So one revolution of the wheels is 4.06 x 3.25 or 13.195 revolutions of the engine. Engine revs per wheel revolution is transmission gear ratio times final (axle) drive ratio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2000, 04:47 PM   #5
Mr Mike

Many thanks!!! I finally understand. I did hear that the ratios that I listed above are for an SC2. I imagine that the SC1 ratios are close... thanks for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread