SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
Manospeed
Manospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura about

Default 2007 Saturn Vue timing chain replacement?

Hi,

I wanted to get a feel of everyone's opinion about how difficult it would be for a total newbie like myself to change my 2007 Saturn Vue's timing chain? My experiences working with the car only include a standard oil change, rotor/brake replacement, and just recently the front struts/springs.

My Vue has about 133,000 miles on the odometer and it still has the original timing chain on it. The engine itself does not sound very smooth/quiet when running, but is making a "chainy" noise. I would imagine the tension of the chain at 133,000 miles is certainly not the same as it was when the car was new.

Is this project realistic for someone with minimal experience like myself? Would I be getting way over my head with this in terms of complexity or is this something doable? The engine is GM's 2.2 liter Ecotech.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Manospeed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Manospeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Manospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2007 Saturn Vue timing chain replacement?

130 k miles isn't a lot for a 2007... the early model 2.2s had issues with chain oilers and tensioners.. The oiler issues were resolved in 2003, and they upgraded tensioers that helped. The latest tensioner (version 3) solved the remaining issues with tensioners..

Look at the link. There is a photo that shows the tensioners.. The one you want has a little nub thing on the end. the version 1 and 2 the end is flat.. See if you have version 3

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218942

WARNING - Do not just replace the tensioner, most get lucky and it works. Some are not so lucky and they trash a perfectly good engine when the chain jumps timing when they first start the engine after replacing the tensioner.. There is a procedure to make sure the chain doesn't jump timing when replacing the tension

Yes, I think its a doable project if you have the tools and follow the instructions meticulously..

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
Manospeed
Manospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura aboutManospeed has a spectacular aura about

@Waiter21

Would you recommend I drain the engine oil out before attempting to change the timing chain? Saw some YouTube videos of people doing the 2.2 Ecotec timing chain change and there was a lot of engine oil spillage when they removed the side timing chain cover.

Also, would you recommend I position my hydraulic jack underneath the engine block with a 2x4 block to relieve some pressure off the engine in order to remove the left side engine mount bolts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Manospeed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Manospeed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Manospeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
Tzfbird
Tzfbird will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 2.2L

Yes a 2x4 will work fine. The hardest part of the whole project IMO is releasing the tensioner after it is installed. Second to that is getting the links in the correct position on the cam and crank sprockets.
If you do not have small hands then you might want to have bandages around because there are sharp edges on the engine block and digging the chain and guides out is not the easiest.

Above all remain patient and it will go just fine. I think shop time was something like 6 hours and me and a mechanic who had also never worked on a 2.2 took the full 6 hours which included a good amount of time watching videos and looking up the timing marks to verify.

Will you be replacing the water pump during chain replacement? Now would be the time to do it, otherwise it requires a special tool if done at a later date.

Feeling better about yourself step #1: Having the people who think they know everything show you how much they think they know; only to end up failing and then denying the failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tzfbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tzfbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tzfbird is offline   Reply With Quote