SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Default Has your retailer closed yet

Saturn Of Massapequa just closed last week. This is a retailer that was in Nassau Long Island New York. Nassau Long Island has a population of over 1 million people. Now the nearest dealership is about 30 minutes away. With a county so large and now only one dealership servicing the 1 million people I would say its over for Saturn regardless what happens with the GM bail out. It appears the public was not happy with the new product or it was to little to late?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Has your retailer closed yet

I was surprised to learn that the dealer where I bought my SL2 in 1997, Saturn of Freehold (NJ), is apparently no longer there.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

I'm not overly concerned for the dealers I do business with, Saturn of Madison and Greenfield.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LotusLord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

they say 1 in 5 dealers will go out of business in the next year

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
kae
kae is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

The one in my area hasn't closed (yet), but if it did then the closest one in my state would be about an hour and a half away....actually there are 2 about that distance away...one north and one east. Other than that I think the closest would be in the neighboring state about 45 minutes away (which I could see closing before the one in my area). With the way things are now though it wouldn't be a shock if a lot more Saturns (and other dealers) closed. The one and only Chevy/GMC dealership that was here (Bill Heard...some may know of the story behind that since he was one of GM's largest volume sellers in the country) went out of business a few months ago so the state of the auto industry has been felt here long before the bailout debate began.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Heh, my state is down to 1 dealer. We had 2 but Saturn of White River was owned by Saturn of Burlington and Burlington decided it was no longer worth it.

Rather sucks, even though I only went there once.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt View Post
Saturn Of Massapequa just closed last week. This is a retailer that was in Nassau Long Island New York. Nassau Long Island has a population of over 1 million people. Now the nearest dealership is about 30 minutes away. With a county so large and now only one dealership servicing the 1 million people I would say its over for Saturn regardless what happens with the GM bail out. It appears the public was not happy with the new product or it was to little to late?
I take it you got the courtesy letter, walt. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Long Island's automotive retailer landscape is about to change big time. My hometown is about to lose its GMC franchise while Ford, Lincoln and Mercury will all be sold under one roof. All but one dealer is owned by a major conglomerate, in this case the Atlantic/New York Automotive group. Ford has been a presence in my community for seventy-two years and I wouldn't be surprised if it became Atlantic Ford-L/M soon.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

Last edited by GR898SL2; 11-20-2008 at 08:19 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #8
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
I take it you got the courtesy letter, walt. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Long Island's automotive retailer landscape is about to change big time. My hometown is about to lose its GMC franchise while Ford, Lincoln and Mercury will all be sold under one roof. All but one dealer is owned by a major conglomerate, in this case the Atlantic/New York Automotive group. Ford has been a presence in my community for seventy-two years and I wouldn't be surprised if it became Atlantic Ford-L/M soon.

Or Toyota could buy the whole works and market Chevrolet and Pontiac? But I think its over for Buick and Saturn no matter how this turns out. IMO Saturn lost there way when cars stopped being made at Spring Hill. And most retailers never were able to return to the family style of service they gave with the new image and the new cars they marketed. To me Saturn just became another GM product.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Or Toyota could buy the whole works and market Chevrolet and Pontiac? But I think its over for Buick and Saturn no matter how this turns out. IMO Saturn lost there way when cars stopped being made at Spring Hill. And most retailers never were able to return to the family style of service they gave with the new image and the new cars they marketed. To me Saturn just became another GM product.
In all honesty, I don't think Toyota wants any part of buying GM and the potential headaches that would come with it. Topping off the list is GM's cash burning. Then you have the clash of cultures. Everything that GM does is so much the opposite of Toyota it's mind boggling.

At the same time, Toyota and Honda welcome the competition that Ford and Chevy offer, and without it would need to focus attention elsewhere, perhaps to Hyundai or whatever comes from China and India in the not-too-distant future.

I'm really starting to feel that GM would be better off paring down to Chevrolet and Cadillac and that these dealers shouldn't be in every other American town as they are now, but select markets within a 25-mile radius. I'm just not sure there is a willingness by the affected parties to make the sacrifice necessary to see this through.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
RedL300
RedL300 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Was back home last week..(Chicago).Saturn of Chicago is gone! Damn.I never bought there,but serviced when I was in the area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedL300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedL300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedL300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
In all honesty, I don't think Toyota wants any part of buying GM and the potential headaches that would come with it. Topping off the list is GM's cash burning. Then you have the clash of cultures. Everything that GM does is so much the opposite of Toyota it's mind boggling.

At the same time, Toyota and Honda welcome the competition that Ford and Chevy offer, and without it would need to focus attention elsewhere, perhaps to Hyundai or whatever comes from China and India in the not-too-distant future.

I'm really starting to feel that GM would be better off paring down to Chevrolet and Cadillac and that these dealers shouldn't be in every other American town as they are now, but select markets within a 25-mile radius. I'm just not sure there is a willingness by the affected parties to make the sacrifice necessary to see this through.

It would actually be in Toyota's best interest since Impala is the number two best selling car in America from October sales results. Impala actually out sold Honda. Camry of course is the number one selling car in America. With Toyota at the helm the union contracts for America workers making $68.00 and hour would be more in line with Toyota $34.00 and hour. It would give Toyota a chance to get out of previous union contracts established through the years and make the Impala and Cadillac more of a profit margin. Toyota also managers their GEOs salary plan a lot better than GM. Less waste on big pay checks inflated by corporate greed. Factory works most likely would take the cut rather than have no job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Old 11-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #12
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It would actually be in Toyota's best interest since Impala is the number two best selling car in America from October sales results. Impala actually out sold Honda.
...To the fleet market.

The Impala isn't a bad car, but it wouldn't help Toyota out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #13
slasky
slasky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree. There are two dealers here in Rochester and I suspect one will be closing shortly. Saturn's days are numbered. When Saturn first started they made a reliable budget vehicle. They also created a cult following. Now they are just rebadged vehicles. My 07 Vue is my last new Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slasky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slasky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Toyota won't buy any part of GM. If GM is going to shrink, I guarantee Pontiac won't be a part of it. GM will most likely to consist of Chevy and Cadillac only. No Saturn, Buick, Pontiac or GMC. If they keep Buick, it will be China-only. SAAB is still up in the air. How better to compete with VW/Audi/Volvo, "The Euro Brands", than with Saab...a European brand? Saturn just doesn't cut it as a Euro-brand, it's an upstart economy car division with delusions of grandeur. As much as I love my Saturns, they aren't competitive with any Euro-brand (except the Astra, which is European). The days of the large, bloated, "5000+ delearships" GM are over.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #15
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

There are 4 Saturn dealers within about 45 minutes of me (White Plains, NY / Fairfield, CT / Milford, CT / Danbury, CT). Fairfield and Milford are owned by the same company and are only about 10 miles apart so I'd expect one of those to disappear soon.

Friends of mine on Long Island have told me that all of their dealers have shuttered which means LI folks need to either take the ferry over to CT (about $50 each way) or drive all the way down to Saturn of (gulp) Harlem in NYC.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #16
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
There are 4 Saturn dealers within about 45 minutes of me (White Plains, NY / Fairfield, CT / Milford, CT / Danbury, CT). Fairfield and Milford are owned by the same company and are only about 10 miles apart so I'd expect one of those to disappear soon.
It's a similar story here, with three dealers within about 30-45 min. The main point of irritation in getting to any of them is traffic depending on where you are coming from. Things are slow for every dealer now...

Quote:
Friends of mine on Long Island have told me that all of their dealers have shuttered which means LI folks need to either take the ferry over to CT (about $50 each way) or drive all the way down to Saturn of (gulp) Harlem in NYC.
I thought there was another one on LI? GR898SL2 had mentioned it in another thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #17
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I've heard on FoxNews that over 600 car dealers have closed in 2008. They expect even more to close in 2009.

Losing 50+% of your sales is a major catastrophe for any business.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #18
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
I've heard on FoxNews that over 600 car dealers have closed in 2008. They expect even more to close in 2009.

Losing 50+% of your sales is a major catastrophe for any business.
There were far too many dealerships, especially GM ones, to be sustainable for too much longer. This shuttering is inevitable and necessary if the industry is to survive and be profitable. Now it will be about the quality, not the quantity. Every other car company in America is going to have to learn to run lean like Honda does; Toyota has even forgotten that lesson.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

My nephew is a service writer for the last remaining Ford dealership in the Sacramento, Ca area. The Saturn dealer has closed and 2 techs from the Saturn dealer went to work for the local Chevy dealer and Saturn owners were notified to take their vehicles to the Chevy dealer for service. In the situation in Sacramento, the Ford dealer is not selling cars, neither is anyone else. The dealerships are going to be carried by the service depts. because when people don't buy new cars, they need to keep the old ones running. The dealers that have a great service reputation will survive. The ones that don't will go out of business.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russ Bellinis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russ Bellinis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russ Bellinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #20
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Bellinis View Post
The dealerships are going to be carried by the service depts. because when people don't buy new cars, they need to keep the old ones running. The dealers that have a great service reputation will survive. The ones that don't will go out of business.
You can say that again. I brought my VUE in to have some warranty repairs done and got the full court press to have all kinds of other "optional" services performed. The service writer even noted "We noticed you have a brand new air filter in there...who does your service?" I told them my "regular mechanic" (psst...that would be me..LOL) took care of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote