SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2000, 03:19 PM   #1
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Steering pump leaking

When I brought my car in for an oil change today I found out that the steering pump is leaking onto the alternator. They tell me I could probably wait until my next service to get it fixed, but it sounds like something that should be dealt with quickly. Has anyone else out there had to get this repair?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2000, 08:53 PM   #2
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

I think there were some threads about this earlier this year (try a search?).

My car has a leak around the boot on the steering rack. I get a low whine at parking speed once in a while, but other than watching the level of the power steering fluid (I added about 1-2 onces last year when it first happened) I have not had to do anything else so far. If I have to replace the rack it is about a $700-800 repair including parts and allignment. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2000, 10:18 AM   #3
jeff92sl2

I had the same problem about three years ago. I tried to remove the pump, but could get one last hose connection loose, even with hose wrenches. Ended up having the car towed to my not very favorite dealer. I think the replacement was about $250 to $300. I tried the job myself because a non-Saturn pump would have been quite a bit cheaper.
Jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeff92sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeff92sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 09-06-2000, 08:37 PM   #4
BILL
BILL is on a distinguished road

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A FRONT PUMP SEAL LEAKING. IF THE LEAK IS NOT TOO BAD YOU CAN REPLACE JUST THE SHAFT SEAL WHICH IS ABOUT A 3.00 PART LABOR IS ABOUT 130.00. THE SEAL CAN BE REMOVED WITH A SCREW DRIVER BUT THE PULLEY NEEDS SPECIAL TOOLS FOR EASY R&R.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BILL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BILL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2000, 08:39 AM   #5
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I had the car looked at yesterday. I was informed that the cam cover gasket was leaking, so I had that fixed (~ $120), and I was told that it's possible that this was the only problem and the steering pump isn't actually leaking. They told me to bring the car back in a few weeks to see if the steering pump is really leaking (they put a dye in the fuid). Hopefully it is just a seal, if there's still a problem at all...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread