SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
mattyp
mattyp is on a distinguished road

Default Thermostat

So I decided to volunteer for the 'easy' task of replacing the thermostat in my sister in laws 2004 L300. I looked around the motor and didn't find it.So I've done some searching and I find out it's underneath the intake plend.

So I went by autozone and checked out the chiltons in the store and it has ZERO useful information. So I was wondering if there's some tutorials somewhere in this forum or anywhere(Haven't found much) that will guide me. I'm pretty handy but I also like to know what I'm getting into. Any info will help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattyp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattyp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattyp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
mattyp
mattyp is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Thermostat

Don't make me makeup a how to on this. Seems like everyone has questions on this and not many answers. I'll be doing it this weekend (hopefully) So if anyone can tell me any special tools I may need that would help. If not I'll just figure it out and take pictures along the way with my iphone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattyp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattyp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:16 AM   #3
love099
love099 is on a distinguished road

http://www.automedia.com/Keep_Your_E...cr20041201th/1

hope this helps...

Love is like racing across the frozen tundra on a snowmobile which flips over, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice-weasels come. well, whatever... :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to love099's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help love099 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
love099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

AllData has online manuals with detailed instructions.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lostwages_ls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member
Ex-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura about

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by love099 View Post
Unfortunately this shows nothing of how to work on the V6. It is much more complicated than almost any other car.

OMG this car is easy to work on!

2000 LW2
2016 Impala
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ex-GMtech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ex-GMtech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ex-GMtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
sixseriescsi
sixseriescsi is on a distinguished road

I gotta say this is hard!!! I replaced mine for, what turned out to be no appernt reason. I had routed the belt system wrong which caused the car to overheat when driven. Along with a horrible squeal from the AC compressor. (Should of known something was wrong at that point.) This was changed only after a Water Pump was replaced, my lack of knowledge was the reason for the wrong belt routing. The Chiltons has both the Inline Four, and the V6. Great Book.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sixseriescsi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sixseriescsi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sixseriescsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
admiralbrown
admiralbrown is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I replaced our thermostat needlessly two years ago. It really is a five and a half hour job to replace. I used a Haynes manual "Saturn L-series 2000-2004" Only two pictures and not a lot of written detail. You do have to pull off the plenum and everything in the V to get at the thermostat. Not a job for the weak of heart.

Are you sure the thermostat has gone south? We were getting the code for Engine temperature below thermostat regulated temperature (P0128?)(sorry the code is recorded on a different computer).
The temperature sensor is easier to replace if that has failed. The sensor is quick to check with a Volt Ohm Meter and a pot of boiling water once it is off the car.
Low coolant level can set the low temperature code.
Also the first couple of cold days of winter will throw the code for low temp. Not sure why but we set that code last week on the coldest morning of the season so far.
I finally cleared up our code replacing the front O2 sensor. I got yelled at on this forum for suggesting the O2 sensor was causing the code to set. The car had about 88,000 with the original O2 sensors. Within a thousand miles of replacing the front O2 sensor the rear O2 sensor failed. The reason I believe the O2 sensor was the cause is as the O2 sensor gets old, it gets lazy and lets the car run rich. A rich running engine is a little cooler. The coolant from the front cylinder bank runs past the temperature sensor and it doesn't take too much of a temperature difference to throw the code.
Are you sure it is the thermostat? I am assuming the car is running cold. If the car is boiling over how old is the Dexcool? And have you ever driven with low coolant, Dexcool hates being driven low, low Dexcool causes a sludge that clogs the radiator.

1987 Merkur XR4Ti, a morbid obsession
2000 BMW Z3, the least practical, most dependable car
2002 Saturn L300, The Wife's Car and the only automatic
2009 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI, 46 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to admiralbrown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help admiralbrown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
admiralbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member
Ex-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura about

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralbrown View Post
I replaced our thermostat needlessly two years ago. It really is a five and a half hour job to replace. I used a Haynes manual "Saturn L-series 2000-2004" Only two pictures and not a lot of written detail. You do have to pull off the plenum and everything in the V to get at the thermostat. Not a job for the weak of heart.

Are you sure the thermostat has gone south? We were getting the code for Engine temperature below thermostat regulated temperature (P0128?)(sorry the code is recorded on a different computer).
The temperature sensor is easier to replace if that has failed. The sensor is quick to check with a Volt Ohm Meter and a pot of boiling water once it is off the car.
Low coolant level can set the low temperature code.
Also the first couple of cold days of winter will throw the code for low temp. Not sure why but we set that code last week on the coldest morning of the season so far.
I finally cleared up our code replacing the front O2 sensor. I got yelled at on this forum for suggesting the O2 sensor was causing the code to set. The car had about 88,000 with the original O2 sensors. Within a thousand miles of replacing the front O2 sensor the rear O2 sensor failed. The reason I believe the O2 sensor was the cause is as the O2 sensor gets old, it gets lazy and lets the car run rich. A rich running engine is a little cooler. The coolant from the front cylinder bank runs past the temperature sensor and it doesn't take too much of a temperature difference to throw the code.
Are you sure it is the thermostat? I am assuming the car is running cold. If the car is boiling over how old is the Dexcool? And have you ever driven with low coolant, Dexcool hates being driven low, low Dexcool causes a sludge that clogs the radiator.
You could also pull the ECT(temp sensor) and clean it off. If it has any slime(from the dexcool)it may not read correctly, usually cooler than normal. Might just be easier to replace it, they are relatively cheap.

2000 LW2
2016 Impala
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ex-GMtech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #9
beensmoked
beensmoked will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

in my previous other post my temp gauge does not go anywhere near the middle it's stuck on the 2nd line. And I do get heat but barely any. Is that the thermostat? or something else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beensmoked's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beensmoked reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beensmoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #10
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

As long as it is full of coolant, then yes. The thermostat is staying partially open.

2000 LW2
2016 Impala
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
Harley
Harley is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp View Post
So I decided to volunteer for the 'easy' task of replacing the thermostat in my sister in laws 2004 L300. I looked around the motor and didn't find it.So I've done some searching and I find out it's underneath the intake plend.

So I went by autozone and checked out the chiltons in the store and it has ZERO useful information. So I was wondering if there's some tutorials somewhere in this forum or anywhere(Haven't found much) that will guide me. I'm pretty handy but I also like to know what I'm getting into. Any info will help

Just found this awesome site while reshearching the P0128 code / T-Stat problem. I agree with MattyP, there is ZERO useful information available for this proceedure.

I was able to test my coolant temp senson while still in the vehicle. Not easy to do, but it seems to be working ok. Resistance values are changing .4 ohms with a warm engine and .7 after cooling a couple hours. We recently had some severe cold temps here in the upper mid west, it was -18 yesterday, and it didn't get above 0'F for 3 days in a row.

I am thinking it is our T-stat as we have 90K on the engine, the temp guage on the dash seems to be responding fine and the heat output is dwindling. This may have more to do with the outside air temps.

How can I identify the new generation housing vs the orginal one? Anyone with a photo or parts breakdown care to share?

Can someone who has take one of these 3.0l intakes apart let me know if I'll need any special tools? Or encounter any extra suprises in there? I haven't had an engine apart in 10 years!

Thanks!
_)

Last edited by Harley; 01-17-2009 at 01:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I don't know what reading of resistance you're recording but you may be incorrect with resistance values. Perhaps the decimal point is in the wrong place? Although the FSM has a chart to show resistance values in 10-degree Centigrade increments, the numbers you posted don't seem to correlate with published data for the coolant sensor.

For example (from the BOOK);

100C/212F - 177 ohms
80C/176F - 332 ohms
60C/140F - 667 ohms
40C/104F - 1459 ohms
20C/68F - 3520 ohms
10C/50F - 5670 ohms
0C/32F - 9420 ohms
-10C/14F - 16,1890 ohms
-20C/-4F - 28,680 ohms

As to the procedures for replacing the thermostat in our 3.0L V6 engines, the Book has drawings with a simple description to remove the intake plenum, intake manifold, then removing the thermostat housing. The Book then refers to separate sections for a more detailed explanation on how to remove each large part. Either buy the FSM, Chiltons, Haynes, or subscribe to Alldata to have as much information as possible. Thermostat opening specs are 84-88C/182-190F. A good scanner capable of live data will display current coolant temperatures from the coolant sensor or use a hand held infra-red temperature probe held near the output hose going to the radiator.

If there's adequate heat from the heater and the engine is running OK, have you thought about simply blocking off part of the radiator (insert a plastic corrugated panel of about 1/3rd to 1/2 the surface area of the radiator, in-between the condenser coil and radiator to hold it place)? This may be enough to bring up temperatures to turn off the error code for the time being so you can stall replacement for later. I'm doing this to mine for the 2nd winter without any problems. I don't have error codes related to thermostat issues but know radiator blockage (in the right amount) will allow heat retention and quicker warm-up instead of cooling off the radiator in the freezing cold air on the highway.

BTW, local NYC temps are in the teens and I have 120F+ heat coming out the vents when the engine is fully warmed up. The FSM does mention cooling off the heater if the fan is left in HIGH.

Last edited by fdryer; 01-17-2009 at 02:26 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
Harley
Harley is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1996 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Thermostat

D'oh! My bad, that should have read 'K' Ohms.

I checked it today with a cold engine and it read 8.9 K Ohms,
Outside air temp was around 18' F so maybe it is reading a little low.

We've ordered the sensor and will try that first but your mention of radiator blockage makes a lot of sense Fdryer, we used to see a lot of that around these parts back in the 70's and 80's, before engines got 'computerized'
I still see old Blazers and Broncos running around with cardboard in front of their grills on occasion.

Things are supposed to warm up next week, mid to upper 20's, maybe I should clear the code and see how long till it resets. Then block of 20-30% of the radiator and try it again. Loads easer than getting to the T-stat, thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote