SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #21
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Has your retailer closed yet

Just before I left Saturn after 5 years in Sept of this year, GM announced non-Saturn dealers could perform warranty work on Saturns (if they want, and they could NOT advertise the fact that they did).

Beginning of the end indeed.

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #22
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
It's a similar story here, with three dealers within about 30-45 min. The main point of irritation in getting to any of them is traffic depending on where you are coming from. Things are slow for every dealer now...

I thought there was another one on LI? GR898SL2 had mentioned it in another thread.
There are two Saturn dealers left and both look to be on borrowed time. The present owner of the Smithtown store also runs Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep, which isn't a good sign. The Hempstead store is an independently-owned retailer. I was under the impression the Burns Automotive Group got Hempstead up and running, but could be wrong.

I'll be surprised if either Saturn retailer makes it through next year. If I get back into the Saturn fold, it will either be used, or I'll make the trek to White Plains. (That's assuming GM is still around and hasn't filed Chapter 11 )

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #23
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

I spoke with someone in the community who handles shipments of vehicles (mostly GM) in casual chitchat. I was a bit shocked to learn that new vehicle shipments have not really slowed down.

As to where GM is dumping these things, its uncertain. Its most certainly not the dealerships...

I wonder if the supply chain hasn't downshifted yet.

Quote:
Just before I left Saturn after 5 years in Sept of this year, GM announced non-Saturn dealers could perform warranty work on Saturns (if they want, and they could NOT advertise the fact that they did).
Wow, getting warranty work done is sometimes painful at a Saturn dealer. With the experiences ive had with non-Saturn dealers and warranty work, i question who would actually want to do it...other than out of necessity due to location.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L300Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #24
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

Alas, one of the two "closest" Saturn retailers that I have gone to has closed in the past week.

Saturn of West Broad (near Richmond, VA) closed on November 21.

The ownership group once had 5 Saturn retailers in the Richmond and Tidewater areas. Now I think they are down to 3, or maybe even 2.

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HumpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #25
99SC1-R
99SC1-R is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

There are 3 Saturn dealerships in my area (Saturn 417, Saturn of Aylmer and Turpin Saturn) and to date they all seem to be going strong.

Obviously I don't know how well they are doing but I swear I am seeing more Astras, Auras and Vues on the road on an almost daily basis, so business can't be that bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99SC1-R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99SC1-R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99SC1-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #26
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

No SATURN stores closed

1 Chevy Store closed
1 Nissan store closed
3 Mitsubishi stores closed
2 Suzuki store closed
1 Ford store closed

To be honest about 15 new car stores have closed in the area. Not one SATURN store ..... yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:12 AM   #27
techsista
techsista is on a distinguished road

we've had two Ford dealers close, an autoway chevy quickly folded last week, autoway dodge was bought by another dealership and another dodge dealership said goodbye.

Saturn dealers are doing well here. the one a mile from my house is expanding.

Last edited by techsista; 11-27-2008 at 12:18 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to techsista's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help techsista reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
techsista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:33 AM   #28
love099
love099 is on a distinguished road

nissan and suzuki stores are now closed...

Love is like racing across the frozen tundra on a snowmobile which flips over, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice-weasels come. well, whatever... :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to love099's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help love099 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
love099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:49 AM   #29
GB1
GB1 is on a distinguished road

San Diego area had six Saturn dealerships which are all owned by the same owner - one has closed, making it five.. not sure which one, but it might have been out in the boonies. I drove by Saturn of Kearny Mesa and all I saw was used cars so they may also have converted that one to strictly used vehicles.

All the dealers are feeling it here. Not totally up on it but I know a Jeep dealership shut down as did a Mazda(-Kia?) dealer, and two Fords are merging. Even a Toyota dealership in Pacific Beach has been abandoned (they may have just moved).

One thing I do know .. when I drive by any dealership here I never see any customers walking around looking at cars !! There's just no traffic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GB1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GB1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #30
Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
San Diego area had six Saturn dealerships which are all owned by the same owner - one has closed, making it five.. not sure which one, but it might have been out in the boonies. I drove by Saturn of Kearny Mesa and all I saw was used cars so they may also have converted that one to strictly used vehicles.

All the dealers are feeling it here. Not totally up on it but I know a Jeep dealership shut down as did a Mazda(-Kia?) dealer, and two Fords are merging. Even a Toyota dealership in Pacific Beach has been abandoned (they may have just moved).

One thing I do know .. when I drive by any dealership here I never see any customers walking around looking at cars !! There's just no traffic.
I'd not be surprised to hear of a lot of owners of multiple Saturn dealerships in the same area closing some of the stores and consolidating. Each dealership location is extra overhead. Just because all you see when yo drive by a dealer is used cars does not mean that it has ceased to be a new car dealership. You have to actually walk through the lot to see if they have new cars. So few people are buying new cars that my local aturn dealer has new cars, but a lot of the cars put out front in the lot are used cars that look clean with low ball prices on the windshield. Dealerships are really going all out to try to attract the bargain hunters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russ Bellinis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russ Bellinis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russ Bellinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 AM   #31
Saturnkid
Saturnkid is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2002 SL2

Austin hasn't been affected by the economic crisis that much, we lost a Pontiac-GMC dealer, a Kia dealer(Also due to competition from the mega-dealer Capitol Kia), and a Suzuki dealer.

2009 Astra XR 3-door, Salsa Red, 3,000 mi. as of 9/09
2007 ION2, Cypress Green, 56,000 mi. as of 9/09

Long Live Saturn!

Saturnkid

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnkid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnkid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturnkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:24 AM   #32
ohioguy98
ohioguy98 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like they're all on borrowed time.

Oh well, I'm just glad I had the experience of buying a new one back when they were in their heyday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ohioguy98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ohioguy98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ohioguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:43 AM   #33
slasky
slasky is on a distinguished road

It looks like the end of Saturn is closer. This is from CNN:
http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/02/news...ion=2008120217
Quote:
In an effort to cut costs, GM also suggested that two of its brands - Pontiac and Saturn - could essentially be dropped. GM said it would make Pontiac merely a niche product sold by other dealerships and explore alternatives for Saturn dealers. The company had previously announced it was looking at a possible sale of its Hummer brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slasky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slasky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #34
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasky View Post
It looks like the end of Saturn is closer. This is from CNN:
http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/02/news...ion=2008120217
No, it looks like media speculation. The same media speculation that is scaring us into the very recession that we wish to avoid. The same media speculation that causes many of the problems we're facing today. I hate the media, and the internet panic monkeys are just as bad.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #35
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

To answer the OP's question - does my Saturn dealership closing back in '05/'06 count, less than a year after I bought my L300? And then this year I received a postcard from another dealer for a complimentary oil change!? It only took them 3yrs to find me on the mailing list. And I didn't bother to take them up on their offer..........

The sad truth is that this accelerated downfall in the economy will require every major manufacturer to consolidate brands which automatically means opening their doors to service every model if the local model (like Saturn) dealership closes. This simply means better management, experienced mechanics/technicians servicing different models in the long run after a hopefully brief learning period adjusting to and accomodating all the models with their peculiarities. A forced business model.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #36
saturncoupe25
saturncoupe25 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2008 VUE 2.2L

saturn dealer im my town is closeing in a week and i have to drive an half hour to next dealer for warrenty work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncoupe25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncoupe25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncoupe25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #37
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Both Long Island Saturn retailers are still open, so hopefully they can survive 2009. One had a well-equipped late-model ION with the 2.4L, which is very rare on the Island. At $13K the price is reasonable. If any bank was willing to extend more credit to me than I could presently handle, I would have bought it already.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #38
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

All 3 Rhorman dealerships are still open here. I take my vehicle to the closest one, which is about 12 minutes away. The farthest one from me is about an hour or so away from me in Lake Barrington, which isn't a Rhorman dealership. Honestly, if Rhorman closed all of his Saturn dealerships then I'd be in some pretty deep **** because, quite honestly, I don't know if I could be making the drive all the time to Lake Barrington. I went down there to get my first Saturn, the used LS2, and I can remember what a hike it was to and from. To be doing that ALL the time would be a major pain the ass for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Elizabeth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Elizabeth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #39
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Cape Girardeau, about two miles south of St. Louis, lost its retailer late last year. It was the newest one in eastern Missouri, so we're reduced to a store in Columbia, (two hours west of town) St. Peters (a western exurb), four in St. Louis County and one in O'Fallon, IL (an eastern exurb). One of the St. Louis County stores recently adopted the new look, the 3rd retailer nationwide to go "under the knife" as it were - now it looks like they may all just go under.

Tragic.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #40
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
Cape Girardeau, about two miles south of St. Louis, lost its retailer late last year. It was the newest one in eastern Missouri, so we're reduced to a store in Columbia, (two hours west of town) St. Peters (a western exurb), four in St. Louis County and one in O'Fallon, IL (an eastern exurb). One of the St. Louis County stores recently adopted the new look, the 3rd retailer nationwide to go "under the knife" as it were - now it looks like they may all just go under.

Tragic.
I think you meant Cape Girardeau was two hours south of St. Louis. At least it was when I got my Bachelor degree in Social Work. I just went to Saturn of Creve Coeur's website and it still seems to be going. This dealership is 300 yards from my office. It was sweet when I needed warranty work. I have only purchased a bolt for my air filter housing since my extended warranty was out. To me, it was like going back to your home town and not feeling at home. So, for me, the only concern I have is in getting parts for my Saturn since they no longer offer products that meet my needs. I am like Ritz since I do a lot of my own servicing of my car or take it to a local ASE shop.

When I grew up there was a Chevy dealer that sold all kinds of GM brands, a Ford dealership, and a Chrysler dealership. Still think it is that way. Maybe that is what it will go back to combining brands under one roof.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote