SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2
Default good deal on these wheels?

Sure wish I liked the look of high gloss chrome. I like the XR wheels(not as much as I like the double spoke on my XE) and think maybe the $600 plus $244 shipping would be worth to have them. The curb rash I have on my one wheel gets to me even though I seldom look at the passenger side.

EBAY

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: good deal on these wheels?

That price is for an exchange. You'd have to have the same 18" machined wheels from an XR to send back once they sent you the chrome plated ones, for the price listed.

So unless you have a spare set of regular XR wheels laying around to send back, not going to happen. I do like them, however, and am a big fan of keeping such OEM parts in various forms if at all possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Roos85
Roos85 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2006 VUE 3.5L

I think they look really nice but i dont think there worth almost a thousand bucks, you can get nicer looking aftermarket wheels for the same if not less money

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Roos85's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Roos85 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Roos85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
love099
love099 is on a distinguished road

those chrome wheels look really nice but the one in ebay is very costly and it's not worth it...

Love is like racing across the frozen tundra on a snowmobile which flips over, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice-weasels come. well, whatever... :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to love099's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help love099 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
love099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
oachalon
oachalon is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

The chrome does look nice on those but i have never seen chrome stick to aluminum wheels properly. Within a year or two they are bubbling and corrosion and peeling. Chrome doesnt stick well to aluminum wheels. Well they definately dont with all the salt we use in the winter time here and the bad winters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oachalon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oachalon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
XR524
XR524 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

They want you to pay them $150 bucks a wheel to just chrome plate them? Let me get this straight; they are selling those chrome plated wheels but you must send your original wheels to them once you receive their chrome plated wheels? Hmmm... Youd be much better off buying aftermarket wheels that you really like, and then selling your original wheels once the new ones are installed. Is it really that expesnive to have wheels chrome plated? I read that in some cases it can cost 500-800 to have wheels chrome plated. The XR wheels look much better untouched in my opinion. I saw on ebay a set of chrome plated xr wheels as buy it now, for 1150, and also saw a set of stock xr wheels for 620. Now this is just my opinion, but I would never do something like that. If you love chrome, go for it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

You might consider checking with a chrome shop in your area. One here in Rancho Mirage was charging $100/wheel. You took the wheels in on Monday, they acid dipped them, polished the imperfections out and then nickle and triple chromed them. You had them back on Wednesday to take to the tire shop to remount your tires.
$400, 4 wheels, 3 days downtime.
So $600 plus $244 S&H Plus the S&H to ship your old wheels back ($244 again???) is way way to much.
Like others have said, just go down to Tire Rack and buy some really cool new after market alloys. You'll have a custom look for le$$

My Humble Opinion of course

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
beach109
Advanced Member
beach109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
You might consider checking with a chrome shop in your area. One here in Rancho Mirage was charging $100/wheel. You took the wheels in on Monday, they acid dipped them, polished the imperfections out and then nickle and triple chromed them. You had them back on Wednesday to take to the tire shop to remount your tires.
$400, 4 wheels, 3 days downtime.
So $600 plus $244 S&H Plus the S&H to ship your old wheels back ($244 again???) is way way to much.
Like others have said, just go down to Tire Rack and buy some really cool new after market alloys. You'll have a custom look for le$$

My Humble Opinion of course
Yes, there are many companies--that on Ebay being just one of them--that do wheel chrome plating, and most really don't charge that much. If it's something you want and there happens to be a local company, lucky day. I've known a few people from back in my Fleetwood/Impala days that had sets done by a company out in CA for not much and were always pleased with the results--keeping OEM wheels but now in chrome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beach109's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beach109 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beach109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Ryster
Ryster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol View Post
Sure wish I liked the look of high gloss chrome. I like the XR wheels(not as much as I like the double spoke on my XE) and think maybe the $600 plus $244 shipping would be worth to have them. The curb rash I have on my one wheel gets to me even though I seldom look at the passenger side.

EBAY

You could just have your curb rash fixed:
http://www.mobilewheelrepair.com/usa...nnecticut.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ryster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ryster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
You could just have your curb rash fixed:
http://www.mobilewheelrepair.com/usa...nnecticut.html
That's awesome. I wonder what the cost is.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote