SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
mgordon1100
mgordon1100 will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
Default Tips on breaking upper motor mount nuts?

Besides PB Blaster, any other way to turn these two side nuts? Used pb blaster, and they are on for good. No room for channel locks. What to do?

[edit]
These nuts are stripped a bit. What can I do?
[/edit]

Last edited by mgordon1100; 02-28-2008 at 11:45 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mgordon1100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mgordon1100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mgordon1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Tips on breaking upper motor mount nuts?

I usually put a 15mm 1/2" drive socket and short extension on my 1/2" ratchet and turn counter clockwise. Or use the impact gun.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
mgordon1100

1997 SC2

never mind. I give up. I'll return my new mount tonight and live with the old one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mgordon1100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

I dont get it. Whats the problem? Are the nuts rounded or something? They're usually not that tight, just a 15mm, extension and rathet or breaker bar is all you should need.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
mgordon1100

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I dont get it. Whats the problem? Are the nuts rounded or something? They're usually not that tight, just a 15mm, extension and rathet or breaker bar is all you should need.
yeah, rounded - and very very tight

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

NAPA sells a set of nut extractors. They're reverse threaded like easy-outs but are meant for nuts instead of bolts. Get the expensive socket or set (if you can), I got the cheap one and first try I split the stupid thing in half.

Oh, dunno if it was the problem or not but never use 12pt sockets on a hex (6pt) nut/head.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

you could try grinding the nut(s) down a little with a dremel and then hammering on the next smallest size socket. oh, and do use a breaker bar like Low suggested. a longer bar (wrench handle) gives you greater breaking torque for less effort on your part.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Or you can remove the bracket that the top mount mounts to. Then put the nuts in a vice (ouch!) and remove it that way. The bracket it attached to the frame rail with four bolts.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

You didn't use a 15mm 12 pt socket, did you?

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:19 AM   #10
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

I cut rounded nuts all the time with a dremel tool it isn't the fastest way but gets the job done clean. Do it when you are fresh and not in a big hurry will probably take a couple of cutter to do the job I like to cut the nut on each side then it falls off and leaves the threads in good shape. This is a good job to do while sipping a good beer with some nice music playing in your headphones...

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:17 AM   #11
mgordon1100

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl View Post
You didn't use a 15mm 12 pt socket, did you?
No, I didn't. I didn't round them off, either. I don't think they were as bad as they finally ended up, but they had gotten their start elsewhere.

I just ended up stopping at the dealer last night and a tech used his socket to break them free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #12
mgordon1100

1997 SC2

Sorry about my frustration, people. It just sucks when you finally get a chance to do something that you knew you had to do since before you bought the car, and to find you can't do it because someone rounded off a couple of nuts. I work too much, and don't have any time at all for problems. Saturday is my only day that I can start something, and hopefully finish it. That said, I woke up early today and changed the mount. Couldn't find a piece of good wood, so I used one of my synthetic burning logs. After I lowered the engine and pulled it out, I found it cracked straight through the middle. The upside, I guess, is that it's so soft, it couldn't possibly dent the oil pan and I'll light a fire with it tonight.

[edit]
Oh yeah, almost forgot. The mount that was in there, was one of those frowny face after market ones. Part of the rubber near the bottom was cracked half way through.
[/edit]

Last edited by mgordon1100; 03-01-2008 at 08:23 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!