SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
thawkth
thawkth is on a distinguished road

Wrench Idle/Throttle/ECTS/Radiator? - Engine Revving High/Idles funny.

I recently bought a 1998 Saturn SL1 5 Spd with about 150k

I paid a bit more for it than I would have had I known what it needed beforehand, but we'll see how she works out.

The issues I have are:

Needs new radiator (small crack, leaks coolant)
Needs axle, basic structural (i.e. ball joints)

All of this I understand. The strange part is the idle/revving.

This is my first 5spd and as such I'm still learning how to drive it.

The engine always seems to be idling a bit high, revving even. It's a bit loud when first started, about 2k rpms. (also idles around 2k - If I shift into first with clutch in at stop I need to wait about 5-10 sec for idle to drop down to 1k)
The harder part to explain comes when actually driving it. (I'll try not to sound like an idiot as I explain this haha)

When stopped, in first, obviously one lets off the clutch adding gas etc to move.

However, when moving and changing between any other gears I cannot give it any gas after shifting as the engine is revving enough to shift.

This makes it a bit more complicated to learn how to drive on haha!

Anyway, my brother who is more mechanical than I am feels we should replace the structural components first (as having something go will be dangerous) as well as the Radiator/Hoses/ECTS (which I've read alot about on this site)

I'm wondering if this will likely repair the issue, or if there's something else I should check at the same time? Throttle Position sensor, for instance?

Thank you for reading and please let me know what you think!

Now typically with a manual trans, afaik, you shift between gears with foot off the gas and then add it as needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thawkth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thawkth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thawkth is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Idle/Throttle/ECTS/Radiator? - Engine Revving High/Idles funny.

Replace the radiator, hoses, thermostat, and ects. Check the ects connector to be sure it isn't corroded otherwise replace the connector too. And clean the throttle body. You're on the right track especially with the ects if the original one is still in there. It may be the cause of the high rpm idling. You'll know when you replace it or identify it from pics here in the How-to library.

Normal cold idling is around 1200rpm and gradually lowering to 800-900rpm after 10-minutes or so of driving, not 2,000rpm. And normal clutching has the rpm drop in-between shifting that isn't occurring with your engine, yet. As soon as the engine issues are resolved you'll be shifting well in no time instead of cooking the clutch now with the high rpm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL

For your high idle diagnosis reading pleasure:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...lve%2Fdiagnose

Hit the how-to section to read about each part and pic's/video's of the test/repair procedure.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Welcome to the board.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #4
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Tune up Check list:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114730

+1. Replace radiator. Then the axle (which is NOT part of the ball joint).

Your high idle fits a bad ECTS (or conector), bad TPS, or Bad IAC ( or dirty).

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote