SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
SVO4Turbo
SVO4Turbo is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Dies at Idle with No AC / Idles 400 RPM with AC. Runs Fine

Hi all. My satty runs really good. Just recently started giving me problems with idling. The car runs great otherwise, just doesn't want to idle. Ideas?

1995 SL2 - 143K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SVO4Turbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SVO4Turbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SVO4Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Dies at Idle with No AC / Idles 400 RPM with AC. Runs Fine

There is a valve on the throttle body which maintains idle speed. Idle Air Control valve. On my 97 it was dirty which caused unstable idling. I've had no problems after cleaning it and the throttle body. I chose to remove them for the cleaning.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In addition to the above I would suggest if your normal cold start doesn't idle at 1200 rpm then gradually return to 800-900 rpm when warm you may have the infamous engine coolant temperature sensor problem (ECTS). The How-to Tips library's first two posts covers everything including the two-wire connector and pictures of the original plastic sensor compared to the permanent brass replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

There is what is called an Idle control valve. This will 'gum' up over time, which will initially show up when you come to a stop, with the engine's idle dropping to below 750 rpms, usually returning to an appropriate idle.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
SVO4Turbo

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
There is what is called an Idle control valve. This will 'gum' up over time, which will initially show up when you come to a stop, with the engine's idle dropping to below 750 rpms, usually returning to an appropriate idle.
Yes, this is pretty much what will happen. As I come to a stop, it will dip way down, but then it will return closer to normal. It's just to the point now, if the AC is off, it dips low enough to die, but will immediately restart just fine.

1995 SL2 - 143K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SVO4Turbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVO4Turbo View Post
It's just to the point now, if the AC is off, it dips low enough to die, but will immediately restart just fine.
Another clue, AFAIK, that it's the IAC. The PCM pulls the IAC open a scoshe more when the A/C is on; in your case, it's probably just enough to stave off the stall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
SVO4Turbo

1995 SL2

So where do I find the IAC valve? Can I clean it with gumout or something similar or should I just get a new one?

1995 SL2 - 143K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The throttle body will have the iacv and the tps so removal of the throttle body may be easier to access everything. I believe disconnecting the two plugs and nuts/bolts will be all that's needed to take it off the car. The tps is on one side of the throttle plate shaft while the iacv is the other electrical item that controls a bypass air port. The recommended cleaner is electrical contact cleaner since there are a pair of precision servo stepper motors and potentiometer that serves as a feedback position sensor for the ECM/PCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Fm > SVO 4 Turbo
As I come to a stop, it will dip way down, but then it will return closer to normal. It's just to the point now, if the AC is off, it dips low enough to die, but will immediately restart just fine.
At least, in my case, it was a classic case of the IAC valve gumming up.

As a matter of fact, I use those conditions as an alert that my IAC valve is due to be cleaned or replaced.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
TwinRevver
Advanced Member
TwinRevver is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL1

Oh my sl2, cold start revved to 2k then down quickly to 1.5k then to 1k until 1/4 way warmed up. Is this normal??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwinRevver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwinRevver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwinRevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

My cold start results in a 12,500 rpms, until the coolant temperature notes that the coolant is beginning to warm up, at which time, the rpms drop down to about 1,100 rpms. It is at this point, I'll begin to leave the garage. This time cycle is usually within 2-3 minutes.

After driving for about 10 minutes, the rpms will settle at 725 / 750 rpms.

After driving for about 20 - 30 minutes, with the engine being complete warmed up and running at a constant / settled operating temperature, the rpms will settle at 700.

Any change in that setup, for me, I'd take notice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation