SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
dmayorgap
dmayorgap has a spectacular aura aboutdmayorgap has a spectacular aura aboutdmayorgap has a spectacular aura about

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default ABS and Brake light

Hi Guys, i've been with a problem with my Captiva Sport (VUE XR), my ABS, brake lights are on, and also Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control, and All Whee drive off messages, sometimes are intermittent, they star dinging and on and off very quickly, and some days dissapear, my question is: if a single wheel speed sensor is not working properly it can trigger all of this messages? where should i start looking?

Thanks

David M.
-----------
Chevrolet Captiva Sport AWD V6 3.6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmayorgap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmayorgap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmayorgap is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: ABS and Brake light

ABS, Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control are all part of the abs/tc/stabilitrak system. If I'm not mistaken, all wheel drive is mechanical and not part of the abs system. The (red?) brake light turning on is usually associated with either low brake fluid (leak or worn disc brakes) or faulty Parking brake switch. You may have several problems or they're related. Related as in main power - battery, battery cables, their connections and alternator. Or separate problems unrelated to power.

If you can, measure battery voltage (engine off) and voltage with engine idling. Standby battery voltage should not be below 12 volts. Engine idling voltage (alternator output) should be between 13v-15v, around 14.5v. Regulated power should always be higher than battery voltage. The serpentine drive belt should be tight otherwise a loose belt may not allow the alternator to supply all power to the vehicle while recharging the battery.

If voltages are ok then you may have to examine brake wear for low brake fluid turning on the brake light, all wiring to all four wheels for the abs/tc/stabilitrak system, reluctors that each wheel speed sensor uses to detect individual wheel speed, and each wheel speed sensor. The best way to determine exactly where problems are would be using a reader capable of decoding abs codes or visiting a GM dealer to decode everything. ABS codes are 'C' type for chassis. 'P' codes are emissions, 'U' for network and 'B' for body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmayorgap View Post
Hi Guys, i've been with a problem with my Captiva Sport (VUE XR), my ABS, brake lights are on, and also Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control, and All Whee drive off messages, sometimes are intermittent, they star dinging and on and off very quickly, and some days dissapear, my question is: if a single wheel speed sensor is not working properly it can trigger all of this messages? where should i start looking?

Thanks
Short answer: Yes.

The only outlier I see is the red brake light. That warning light operates independently and only comes on if the brake fluid is low or if the park brake is engaged. Generally, low brake fluid level alone will not cause ABS to be disabled unless the fluid level is low enough to cause ABS fault to be detected by the electronic brake control module (EBCM).

AWD is affected because it is not a true, full-time AWD setup like you see on a Subaru. The rear wheels only engage if front wheel slippage is first detected. As you might guess, the ABS wheel speed sensors are used to detect said wheel slippage.

I would definitely get the battery and alternator tested first if your vehicle is a 2014 or older.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 178K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 185K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #4
dmayorgap
dmayorgap has a spectacular aura aboutdmayorgap has a spectacular aura aboutdmayorgap has a spectacular aura about

2008 VUE 3.6L

Hi, thanks for your answers, today lights were off in the morning, but when i start driving i can hear a buzzing noise, its not the ABS self-diagnostic that triggers when getting about 20 km/h, its a buzzing noise that starts inmediatly when the car starts moving and i can hear it near the location of the ebcm, seems like the abs pump? its normal?

Thanks

David M.
-----------
Chevrolet Captiva Sport AWD V6 3.6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmayorgap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmayorgap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmayorgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Now that you've become a little more aware of "things that go bump in the night", you're probably hearing (for the first time) the abs pump cycling. Most describe it as a zinging sound for a second upon initial drive off. The abs pump and circuitry are exercised every time the car moves right after start up and initial drive. It completes the abs self tests otherwise if something fails the abs light turns on and stays on. Your descriptions seem to be intermittent. GM may be the only ones to decode stored abs errors to point to the problem. Your abs is resetting then an error occurs then resets each time ignition is turned off and back on. All electronics are programmed to perform their own self tests every time ignition is turned on. When all goes well, nothing lights up. When an error occurs a light turns on telling you something is broken. In this case an intermittent problem is occurring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:35 PM   #6
oreocookie
oreocookie is on a distinguished road

i had the same problem its the wheel bearing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oreocookie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oreocookie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oreocookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
Oscar Moreno
Oscar Moreno is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Thanks for the info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oscar Moreno's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oscar Moreno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oscar Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote