SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
Sidneyaks
Sidneyaks is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Car not starting - no power at all

Ok, so I left work tonight and I washed my car. When I started it afterword the service engine wrench and security light came on. I killed it, and restarted it, the wrench was on, but no security. I cycled it again and no wrench. I figured I just must have got a little soap in the air intake. No codes stored.

So I drove away, and then I noticed that when I tapped my brakes the IC lights flickered for a second. I checked the voltage with my (handy) android phone using the torque app - 13.8-14.5 So I don't think it's the alternator.

I got to my girlfriends house and shut it off, now it's not starting, or doing anything else for that matter, at all. So now there's a clean and shiny brick in my girlfriends driveway. I'd suspect it's the battery, but I JUST changed it in the last month, so I doubt that's the case. Does anyone have any ideas of what could cause this? I can't think of any single one fuse that would disable ALL electronics, but I'm kinda stumped here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sidneyaks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sidneyaks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sidneyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Sidneyaks
Sidneyaks is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Re: Car not starting - no power at all

Ok, so for those of you not in the know (practically everyone) I switched out all my IC bulbs and HVAC bulbs and PRND32 bulbs with leds. This caused a problem in which using the dimmer killed all my interior lights. So on oldnuc's advice, I installed a resistor in parallel to the other bulbs. I think i got it wrong.

According to my maths in the other thread, I should have used a 39 ohm 5 watt resister. I couldn't find one, so I wired what I THOUGHT was a 15 ohm and a 22 ohm resister in series, at least, that's what the bins I pulled them out of said. However, I check the codes, and it's actually a 22 ohm and a 27 ohm resistor! 49 ohms total. Greeeat.

Anyway, for a few days, it worked! But The first thing I did, even before posting, was take off the negative terminal and pull that resister, than I put the neg terminal back on and it didn't start.

Then after my first post I went out to try and move it, and when I turned the keys to put it in neutral everything fired up! Why would it need time to "think" about weather or not it was going to start?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sidneyaks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sidneyaks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sidneyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:20 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Car not starting - no power at all

"IC" bulbs?

Depending on where this resistor was wired in to the dimmer circuitry may affect whether or not it drained and killed the battery. Keep this mind when troubleshooting possible battery power issues.

Killing a battery can be from many issues; the battery itself if with a cell that goes dead and the only way to check for this is with a load test available from most auto stores. Poor battery cables with corrosion on one or both terminal connections; visible signs may hide severe hidden corrosion that means either further inspection or replacement of cables. A poorly connected battery cable from corrosion will prevent the large current needed to power the starter. Overlooking cables and corrosion will bite anyone as soon as winter comes around..........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote