SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
Bedlam
Bedlam is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Rattle in front strut/shcok area of 2006 Vue

Has anyone experienced a rattle in the front strut/shock area? I have a noise that I can't recreate when Ihave the Vue in for service. My warranty runs out in 200 miles and I do not know what to do. Help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bedlam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bedlam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bedlam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Rattle in front strut/shcok area of 2006 Vue

It's fairly common..I need to take mine in.. the right front strut makes a nasty creak and some sloppy rattling noises over speed bumps

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspeer
It's fairly common..I need to take mine in.. the right front strut makes a nasty creak and some sloppy rattling noises over speed bumps
I was under the impression that this issue had been "dealt with" on '06+ VUEs. No?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
sspeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz
I was under the impression that this issue had been "dealt with" on '06+ VUEs. No?

I'm not sure. I haven't heard anything about it, but I wasn't really looking for info.

I'm not exactly sure what the source of the problem is to begin with. If it is due to the suspension design or if it was a supplier issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Make them check the sway bar end links for play and brake calipers for looseness. When driving slowly over uneven surfaces the sway bar ends will rattle. During the rattle, lightly apply the service brake to see if the rattle can turned off with the brake. If so, it's the calipers. There's no guarantee that it couldn't be both at the same time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Ollie
Ollie will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L

I just had my right front strut and strut mount replaced two-three weeks ago because of the same reason. Under warranty and it took about an hour and a half. 05' VUE though...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
-John Wayne-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ollie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ollie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #7
YIN
YIN is on a distinguished road

I just started getting the same problem. 4500 miles

07 Grand Prix GT s/c

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YIN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YIN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
Bedlam
Bedlam is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks everyone,
I got to the dealer with 30 miles remaining on my warranty. I was able to recreate the sound with them in the car. I will now be able to get it repaired under warranty at a later date. I will post the results to help anyone else who might be having the same problem. Thanks for all the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bedlam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bedlam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bedlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
Web Raven
Web Raven is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman
Make them check the sway bar end links for play and brake calipers for looseness. When driving slowly over uneven surfaces the sway bar ends will rattle. During the rattle, lightly apply the service brake to see if the rattle can turned off with the brake. If so, it's the calipers. There's no guarantee that it couldn't be both at the same time.
I have an 06 AWD Vue and this is exactly the issue I was having. They initially thought it was the suspension, but after removing the sway bar and driving it, discovered it was the guide pin in the caliper on the front passenger side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Web Raven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Web Raven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Web Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:46 AM   #10
Web Raven

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam
Thanks everyone,
I got to the dealer with 30 miles remaining on my warranty. I was able to recreate the sound with them in the car. I will now be able to get it repaired under warranty at a later date. I will post the results to help anyone else who might be having the same problem. Thanks for all the help.
Wow... you have an 06 Vue and have already run out your warranty? And I thought that *I* did a lot of driving!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Web Raven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2006, 01:39 AM   #11
mikebutkus
mikebutkus is on a distinguished road

Check the front lower control arm bushing. The one bolted to the frame. Round rubber bushing holding the back of the lower A arm in place. The rubber in the bushing should keep the arm in the center of the bushing.
Mine rattled on uneven surfaces. About $109 for the dealer to replace. They didn't do a alignment so it's just a unbolt and bolt thing. Big bolts though !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikebutkus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikebutkus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikebutkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:59 AM   #12
kfraney
kfraney is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebutkus
Check the front lower control arm bushing. The one bolted to the frame. Round rubber bushing holding the back of the lower A arm in place. The rubber in the bushing should keep the arm in the center of the bushing.
Mine rattled on uneven surfaces. About $109 for the dealer to replace. They didn't do a alignment so it's just a unbolt and bolt thing. Big bolts though !
I'm in New Jersey too. What dealer did the service?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kfraney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kfraney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kfraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #13
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

I have this same problem myself. I think it's something in the front brakes. They are next on my never ending list of Vue repairs so I will report back when I get them replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:17 PM   #14
tomvan72
tomvan72 is on a distinguished road

If the noise is coming from the right side it is probably the strut mount. There is a bearing in there and some of them go bad. I saw an 06 fwd v6 with 14k on it and it needed replacing. The owner of course drove the ***** out of it. Speaking with some of the Saturn Techs, the rplacements should be a longer lasting fix than some of the original mounts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomvan72's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomvan72 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomvan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:06 PM   #15
sspeer

Is the right side different than the left? (besides the obvious things)

You make it sound as if there isn't a bearing on the left side..just curious because it's my right side that's squeaking

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #16
WLKVUE
WLKVUE is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I had the caliper pin bushings replaced at 25,000 miles on my 2006 VUE two weeks ago. Warranty work. Took a whole lot of rattle out of the front end. The rattle seemed to come mainly from the right side also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WLKVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WLKVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WLKVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:46 PM   #17
Web Raven

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLKVUE
I had the caliper pin bushings replaced at 25,000 miles on my 2006 VUE two weeks ago. Warranty work. Took a whole lot of rattle out of the front end. The rattle seemed to come mainly from the right side also.
I had that same thing done right around 26K and it got rid of the rattle going slowly over bumps, but now it seems to be back and coming more from the left side, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm going on a road trip to Mississippi (from north of Chicago) to pick up a new puppy on December 1st... with the holiday, work, etc., I don't have time to bring this thing in for repairs. Do you guys think it'll survive the trip? *fingers crossed that it does*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #18
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

By right side, do you mean front passenger side or front driver side?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:21 AM   #19
Web Raven

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec
By right side, do you mean front passenger side or front driver side?
Sorry... yeah, right side = front passenger side.

(Edit: Err, nevermind, you weren't talking to me. LOL Sometimes I read too quickly.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2006, 10:01 PM   #20
burgeke
burgeke is on a distinguished road

Someone earlier mentioned being in NJ. I had mine to Saturn of Rt 33 - 5 times before finally being fixed (right over the bridge in PA). It turned out to be something with the calipers (someone else here mentioned bushings so maybe that was it). I always heard it as coming from the right side. I repro'd with them in the car and they still couldn't fix until that last time.... it was like a breath of magic that all of a sudden they figured out what it was. Couldn't have been more frustrating......

Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burgeke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burgeke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burgeke is offline   Reply With Quote