SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 01-09-2021, 10:35 PM   #21
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Wrench Light, no symptoms, 2005 VUE

Win 10 is the default software to run VCX NANO. Win 7 is the minimum.

I had trouble setting up mine due to the overwhelming technical explanations that doesn't use layman's terms. Although I may only have one cell between my ears, I was capable of wide area network repairs on system network computers requiring a second person on the other end to facilitate correct diagnosing and troubleshooting before determining which side fell down. I was the victim as the spoke end failure when the other end helped me (tremendously with zero wan training) to determine where fault occurred. The idiot lights used everywhere in electronics are clues. At the time, this was a nationwide wan with several hubs. No network training or certification but can follow directions and report what I see, smell, and hear. I had a wonderful time working with one technician (sight unseen) to maintain a system. My normal duties covered million dollar electronics processing high speed media. My one cell was packed with lots of info for training on several pieces of expensive electronics. Oh and I had previous training on very old ('60s diode transistor logic operating on -20vdc logic) on what was the oldest wan when wan wasn't a term yet........ My fondest memories of yelling at the telephone company for dropping a dedicated line. Yes, I'm old school analog until the digital revolution replaced analog systems. Anyone familiar with using an oscilloscope and manually adjusting the clock on analog systems?

I corresponded back and forth with VCX tech support that simply said to download one pdf and open it for installation. Easier said than done as there are, I think two processes that are installed to have Windows emulate GMs Tech II scantool (I always find out later in reducing over hyped technical terms to palatable words for explanations) - Tech II WIN and VCX Manager. If anyone read my hint, the idiot lights on the VCX Tech II WIN screen displays communications between the pc/laptop to VCX Manager and VCX Manager to the interface module when physically connected to the OBD II port. Several installations with two laptops without success, one a current Win 10 and my old Win 7. I had a serious timeout to contemplate why VCX NANO didn't work.

I determined from the (idiot) comm indicators that VCX Manager wasn't operating (zero flashing lights when establishing handshake protocols to the OBD II port). Once I figured out what was wrong in my installation, I redid the install and carefully used the VCX Manager to diagnose why it didn't communicate to the VCX module to determine whether or not it was installed or enabled. Once this major tripping step was eliminated, I was off to the races - comm indicators flashed, informing the idiot of communications successfully established between the VCX module, laptop (Win 7) and OBD II port to the bcm.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think loading TECH II WIN is the easier of the two installs while I had trouble with VCX Manager. I did something wrong to cause me to shoot myself in the foot several times before getting the install right.

I did not use the cd(?). I downloaded the software from the site. Some day when I grow up, I'll be forced to buy a new laptop but for now my old Win 7 works fine any time I need to plug into my L300.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2021, 10:46 PM   #22
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is just really niceBruce Rock is just really niceBruce Rock is just really niceBruce Rock is just really nice

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
I would install Tech2Win per the first link you posted and then run Tech2Win in Windows compatibility mode so the application thinks it's running in Windows 7.
This is a good guide to set compatibility mode...
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/s...ode-windows-10

I can't test it but I've used this method to run old software version in Windows 10 successfully before.
Thanks for the suggestion. Looking it over. there is a lot of computer terminology I'm unfamiliar with. It's going to take a while for me to get it figured out. I'm 70 years old and still haven't ran out of new things to learn.
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:46 PM   #23
joshjani
joshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

OK, well, I got vy VXC Nano device, and after a couple of days I tried getting it up and running. What a chore! It came with a DVD with all the software, but absolutely no instructions of any kind> I followed the instructions that Bruce Rock linked to http://blog.vxdiagshop.com/2018/12/1...on-windows-10/

That helped, but the details were just a little off. I just pretty much installed everything I could find, And tried to run all the applications that showed up! By some stroke of luck, when I opened T2Win, my device beeped and I was presented with a menu to get started. It was fun, though I didn't do anything much yet. I just wanted to get codes, so I went through Powertrain, Body, Chassis, just read any codes.

Long story longer, I have a code P0873, which is Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor 3 high voltage. I'm not sure I needed the $100 VCX Nano for that- as I think it's a pretty regular old OBDII code, no?

Looks like I'll be spending a few more hours here reading up on that!
joshjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:34 PM   #24
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

I would agree, most any code reader should show the P0873 code.
Found this in a quick search.
https://www.justanswer.com/saturn/4n...A3YEdnucAUrUVg
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:35 AM   #25
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

joshjani, a number of P type error codes won't show up on generic readers and P0873 is one of them. Since the engine light never turned on and the wrench light did, VCX NANO decoded it. As you become familiar with wading thru VCX NANO, you'll learn that it doesn't differentiate P/C/B/U codes. Remember, the wrench light is the only indicator and P0873 was decoded. No engine light, no error code (generic emissions codes). Wrench light, P0873 isn't emissions related. Guess how much you saved by decoding what GM didn't do (the one arguing with you insisting on changing oil and filter when the oil change light never turned on. Whether you are aware or not, buying VCX NANO put you on GM dealer's level with access to more error codes than generic readers. Your confusion and doubt about VCX NANO will go away as you become familiar with it.

BTW, my wrench light/hard xmission shifts going away after a road side stop for an errand always reset itself to allow me to continue driving as the problem went away on its own. Repeated several times without my reader decoding it. VCX NANO decoded P1811.

GM, using their Tech II or newer scantool would probably charge 0.25 hour of labor, fees if any with using their scantool plus other labor required to verify P0873 then inform you of repairs to correct it - the phone call to tell you GM services will be happy to repair this then give you the estimate ($$$$). If a xmission must be repaired requiring several hours of labor to disassemble various parts of suspension for access to the xmission valve cover to replace one solenoid or switch, more costs are for labor than the part or parts (marked up). Guess what your final costs will be? I'm guessing here if this means replacing a part in the xmission on the electronic side, not the mechanical parts (gears, clutches, bearings, etc). As a rule, the majority of xmission failures with electronically controlled xmissions are usually related to the xmission control pressure/shift valves operated by solenoids and various sensors on the xmission case. The xmission control module (TCM) operates electronically controlled xmissions.

I cannot assure you of what repairs are needed with this error code as I'm not completely familiar with xmission diagnostics. Google and youtube can be very educational for almost everything. While the atomic bomb general recipe is well known, the devil is in the details and still not available from anyone anywhere. 80 years have passed and the nuclear weapons club are still exclusive to a limited number of nations spending billions to figure it out. More difficult than rocket science.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:52 AM   #26
joshjani
joshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Well, in my searches I have found that Honda transmission I have in my VUE has trans fluid pressure sensors/switches that reside on the outside of the transmission and can be replaced without disassembling the trans. One of them is under the battery tray, and one of them is somewhere else, on the front of the transmission.

My Nano tells me its Switch 3 High voltage, which I believe is the one on the front somewhere, I haven't been able to discern the location in my car. Of course. Lots of info on the 4th one, under the battery tray, but I don't know where switch 3 is.

People also have trouble determining what exact piece to buy for replacement, because of the VUE being a GM product with a Honda engine and trans. I found a very detailed PDF on the Acura/Honda Transverse 5-Speed, and in there was a clue that the pressure switch was labeled 74 on page 5.5-1, and then later, on page 5.5-9, is a listing for the part that mentions the VUE by name, 95878A and 95878AB

So, it looks to me like the switch is the same thing, but MIGHT have a different shaped plug to the harness, which is why they are color coded, brown or gray.
I'm still working on this, so if any of y'all that have participated so far know anything about these switches, I'd love your input. I want to buy from Rock Auto or Amazon, but I want to make sure I can find and replace both switches on my own.

http://www.natpronet.com/trans/Honda%205speed.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 9.00.30 PM.png (35.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: png trans code.png (728 Bytes, 3 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3.5 4th Clutch Switch.pdf (110.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #27
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

The link I posted before has a component location diagram. Can't swear to its accuracy though.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #28
joshjani

2005 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
The link I posted before has a component location diagram. Can't swear to its accuracy though.
Yes, thank you- I didn't see it when I first looked at you link because there's a little "see more" clickdown.

In the meantime, I found that Far2Grumpy had posted in this thread
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223912
2 PDFs for the location of the 3rd and 4th switches. Now just to try to figure out what the drawing looks like compared to my real-life car.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #29
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

I'm pretty sure the same transmission variant was used in the Acura TL...
If so, this might help...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCJ5neMjJn8
Old 01-15-2021, 07:01 PM   #30
joshjani

2005 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Yes this guy's video is top notch, but he changes switch 4. I am getting a code for switch 3. I'm going to change both, since 4 looks pretty easy to do, but I still don't know where 3 actually is, whether I can get to it from above the engine or below. I think this guy actually says in passing that 3 is at the front.
Another video I saw shows a Pilot with it underneath, I'll have to get on my back and look around under there.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #31
joshjani

2005 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I understand that my 2005 VUE 3.5l V6 has the same powertrain as several Honda vehicles from the same era. Are the engines/transmissions arranged the same way? So if I find a video explaining where these sensors are on a similar Honda vehicle, think I could roughly estimate they'd be in the same spot on my VUE?
This video is clear as day where these two sensors are, so if the VUE's parts are arranged the same way, I'd have no trouble whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70HUgxLytSY
Old 01-19-2021, 11:24 PM   #32
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is just really niceBruce Rock is just really niceBruce Rock is just really niceBruce Rock is just really nice

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
From what I understand, the Tech2Win application cannot be run in a virtual machine. GDS2 is the application runs in a virtual machine.

My understanding is that it can not be run on a WINDOWS virtual machine (a Mac running Windows). I ran it on a Windows 10 PC virtually as a Windows 8 PC.

Bottom line, it was run on a Windows PC.

Thanks for bringing that subtle difference to my attention.
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:49 PM   #33
joshjani

2005 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

It is proving difficult to see if I have the right part for my VUE and the right place to put the part. I cannot find any videos changing this part on a VUE, only on Honda/Acura vehicles. The diagrams I referenced from Far2Grumpy are good, but I still don't know what sensor goes where. I THINK the locations I have are correct, but the color of the Honda parts I got differs from the parts on my VUE. I found what I think is switch #3, but when I disconnect the wire, it's a light GRAY base, and the one I have to go in that spot is BLACK. I also have a GREEN based switch, but the other one, which I haven't found yet, is evidently BEIGE/BROWN. However, all the cross referencing and parts searches I've found pointed me to the two Honda parts I did get.
Green part is 28600-P7Z-003, Black part is 28600-P7W-003
I'm afraid that the colors mean something, that the switches have to go in certain spots indicated by color, and the PSI must differ from part to part, so putting the wrong sensor in the wrong spot will really foul things up.