SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-29-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
saturnstar
saturnstar is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default 1995 Saturn SC2 - No Oil Left in Car, It's on the Driveway

I started my car, drove a block down the road, oil light came on. I pulled over, immediately turned off the engine. Checked the dip stick. NO OIL showing. I added a half quart of oil and checked the dipstick. No show. Looked under car, puddle of oil on pavement, dripping from underneath.
I walked home and found a pond of oil in the driveway where I had started my car and a trail down the road where I had driven.
A neighborhood mechanic (doesn't work on Saturns, my bad), added oil to my car and told me to start the car and immediately turn it off. He said oil poured out from underneath my car. He thinks it is the oil filter or the block. Note: I have not had my oil changed in forever (really bad on my part) BUT, I check it weekly and keep it topped off. I only drive about 10 miles per week now. I have 195,000 miles on this car I have had since 2004. And, I love this car! Please help (Sorry for the long post)
saturnstar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 1995 Saturn SC2 - No Oil Left in Car, It's on the Driveway

So, what is the question:

Should you run the engine any more like this? NO!

Is the engine possibly damaged? Yes.

Should you find where the leak is from so we can advise you better? Yes.

Generally, I advise towing/pushing the car to where you can lift it up for inspection. If the leak is something easy to fix, like the spin-on filter, then fix that so the engine can be run again for further evaluation. If you see oil pouring through a hole in the block, then time for an engine replacement. Post pictures, we love pictures...
billr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:00 PM   #3
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to all

1997 SL1
Post Re: 1995 Saturn SC2 - No Oil Left in Car, It's on the Driveway

My guess lost oil plug or hole in oil pan, loose filter, hole in block.

1995 SL1 236,300 2005>2018
1997 SL1 87,100 2014>????
CHECK YOUR OIL!!
SRGW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #4
Ricketts
Ricketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of lightRicketts is a glorious beacon of light

2000 SC1

Doubtful it's the block. And I have never heard of a filter letting go suddenly...I had a rubber seal on an oil filter let go 30 years ago after an oil change but never heard of any other issues from people.

Check your filter to see if somehow it has rusted through (doubtful)...maybe if you haven't changed oil in quite awhile the rubber seal has failed...anything's possible. Also, check your oil pan - they rust out but usually seep, not gush
2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
saturnstar

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGW View Post
My guess lost oil plug or hole in oil pan, loose filter, hole in block.

1995 SL1 236,300 2005>2018
1997 SL1 87,100 2014>????
CHECK YOUR OIL!!
Thank you. I checked my oil. It apparently blew out onto the driveway AFTER I started the car and drove off. The oil light came on after I drove down the road past about 6 houses. Most of the oil is in my driveway. Now it is under the car 6 houses down. Okay, so I will find someone who will jack up car and look.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:17 AM   #6
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

you should be able to see the bolt (drain plug) on the oil pan without jacking the car. I also slide a mirror under the car when I can't slide all the way under it myself. (make sure you block the wheels if you crawl under)

If you find the missing bolt somewhere, remember there is also a rubber gasket.
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:24 AM   #7
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Push the car home, and get some kitty litter on the oil in the driveway and the street.... you don't want anyone driving through that much oil.

Get a flash light and crawl underneath and start looking around. If it's only coming out in quantity it's got to be around the filter. I can't think of any where else where you would get pressurized oil coming out.... unless maybe these engine have pressurized oil in the timing cover?

Other possibility is that it's ATF..... you checking the right dipstick? The transmission filter sometimes come loose, I've heard. Mine is leaking a tiny bit.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 19X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

These engines certainly do have pressurized oil in the timing cover; the timing cover is where the oil pump is and the cover has some surfaces/tolerances that are even critical to proper pump operation.

On the back of the block there are several plugs along the oil galley that feeds the main bearings. One has the oil pressure switch which could also leak (along with any of those plugs). The head gasket has to seal pressurized oil going up to the head; another possible leak.

Still, I think most of us are convinced this is probably one of these:

1) Loose/punctured/missing filter

2) Loose/missing drain plug

3) Hole in block from thrown rod

4) Punctured pan

PS: After reading the first post again, my impression is that the added oil didn't start leaking until the engine was restarted, which would eliminate #2 above...

Last edited by billr; 12-30-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
These engines certainly do have pressurized oil in the timing cover; the timing cover is where the oil pump is and the cover has some surfaces/tolerances that are even critical to proper pump operation.
Ok, good to know. I'm used to thinking of them being in the oil pan... although, I guess my Buick 350 has the pump in the timing cover, now that I think of it.

Quote:

4) Punctured pan

PS: After reading the first post again, my impression is that the added oil didn't start leaking until the engine was restarted, which would eliminate #2 above...
I don't think 2-4 are likely if the oil is only being ejected while the car is running and it's that quick in the driveway. I have never thrown a rod through a block... but that doesn't sound like it would be a quiet event, to me.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 19X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:51 PM   #10
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

So what’s the verdict? Might be oil filter. Should be trivial to see even without jacks. You could drive around with the valve cover off and not sling oil that fast. The oil filter comes right off the oil pump.
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:52 PM   #11
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post

4) Punctured pan

You can eliminate 3 too. Thrown rods you wouldn’t be able to start it and it would be a racket.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:01 AM   #12
billr
Master Member

I can agree there would be a lot of racket, but not run? I have driven (four different) vehicles with a broken crank, a broken piston that punched out the crankcase, disintegrated diff spider gears, and manual trans missing entire lower case and cluster gear. Also an engine that overheated until it seized, then cooled it off for restart and continue on for many miles...

Still, the oil filter seems like the most likely suspect.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:00 PM   #13
me.theuser
me.theuser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL2

As long as we are throwing out WAGs I'll have a go

I bet it was a disgruntled former shop that came to OPs driveway
and removed the oil plug.

Why would they do that you ask?

OP got angry and stopped using the shop because they were not able to fix a vaguely described issue
me.theuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:50 PM   #14
saturnstar

1995 SC2

Thank you to all that responded to my problem.
Because of the Holiday and the weekend, I found it hard to get help with a push. Although, I did see a great HACK online where you wrap the seatbelt around you like a harness and steer it from the outside.
Anyway, my neighbor is going to pull it with his vehicle tomorrow and we will have a look.
The mechanic/shop I had used for years decided that quote: "Saturns are obsolete and it is hard to find parts. We don't work on those old cars any longer." Kind of hurt my feelings, but so glad I didn't tow it to him last week.
I try to work on my own car, THANKS TO THIS FORUM! I replaced the water pump and belt through this wonderful site.
I will probably be back on tomorrow after I get the car here and have a look. Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2021, 11:14 AM   #15
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnstar View Post
The mechanic/shop I had used for years decided that quote: "Saturns are obsolete and it is hard to find parts. We don't work on those old cars any longer."
What? GM sold almost 2.5 million S series during it's lifespan from 91-02. Parts are still easy to find. Especially engine parts relating to an oil leak. Find a competent shop.
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #16
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
What? GM sold almost 2.5 million S series during it's lifespan from 91-02. Parts are still easy to find. Especially engine parts relating to an oil leak. Find a competent shop.
Sounds like your mechanic was having a bad day, time to find a new mechanic.

There are some parts that are getting a bit harder to find, but it's no big deal yet, Rockauto has nearly everything you could ever need. When I bring my car to my mechanic I supply all the parts and there is no trouble.

That said these cars are simple machines that are easy to work on. I can do 90% of needed repairs to my S series with basic hand tools, try that with a 5 year old car. Without a computer degree you can forget it!
My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:05 PM   #17
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
There certainly are some parts that are getting hard to get. I almost had to scrap mine just because I couldn't find a manual window regulator for an SC. you'll spend time hunting in the junkyards or using online junkyard searches (which in my experience result in hits for parts that do not exist).

Dealership-wise its especially an issue. When I look at the GM parts catalog nearly everything you see is discontinued.

So knock on wood we can keep our cars running with junk yard parts. Myprevious car was a 77 Celica. People said I'd always find parts because they made millions of them. Well the day did come when the junk yard dried up. And we're probably only 5 years or so away from that with the 90's Saturns.

-robert
Old 01-15-2021, 02:48 AM   #18
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

In New York area... the junk yards are slowing down 'cause the cars
are so good. And obsolete Saturns , many driven by cheapskates like me,
who needs That!

When i was in my 20s there was a neighbor upstreet. He had worked as a machinist at Grumman Aircraft/Aerospace for 30 years ... had a lathe in his garage, etc. I had an old, aircooled VW. His message to me:
If you cannot buy parts for a car... It is JUNK!!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:24 AM   #19
Ccrussell
Ccrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura aboutCcrussell has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1
1999 SC2

[QUOTE][/QUITE a machinist at Grumman Aircraft/Aerospace for 30 years ... had a lathe in his garage, etc. I had an old, aircooled VW. His message to me:
If you cannot buy parts for a car... It is JUNK!!

I wonder if your neighbor meant something like a Maxwell being junk, as I have an air cooled VW as well, do believe everything, every piece is available still as new or reproduction?
If Some shop told me Saturns are too old to service/repair , I would definitely find a new shop as well.
Ccrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #20
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

My two cents is, sell this car. —It obviously requires routine maintenance That is a bit much to ask for these days. You need a new car that you can neglect for years and years
Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote