SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 12-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
Darcnewowner
Darcnewowner is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default new vue owner need some assist...

hello all. Well im new to owning a VUE. Bought a 2006 for 500$ off a ex co worker/friend. has 160K on it. Had to reinstall factory radio after he installed an aftermarket radio (didn't use a connector cut wires) then removed the aftermarket by cutting all the wires. PITA to do the wires but got it all reconnected and radio is working but the steering wheel buttons are not. had to replace the regulator for the passenger window (drivers side).
I'm also having a issue with the interior lights meaning there is no lights map light nada dome light nada dash lights only the red arrow lights up or glows. I have replaced bulbs and checked/ replaced all blown fuses. on dash i do also have the brake warning light on; all the warning lights come on when i switch the key to on and go to start it which it runs fine , replaced all brakes and the parking brake switch that still lights up. which now i am thinking i need to replace the master cylinder also.
light issue is more my concern since im a night driver ( work 2nd and part 3rd shift) and need to see speed etc. could the bcm be blown ??? and how the f do i remove the bcm i know where it is by reading some of the posts here but nothing i've read shows or states removal. i don't know if its a "redline" or just a regular vue. i has the 3.5 honda engine and 2wd.

Any input on this is welcome please help me figure this out. i'm at a loss at this point.
Darcnewowner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
Darcnewowner

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: new vue owner need some assist...

BTW I only paid $500. For it
Old 12-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-You might be able to search within these forums for wiring diagrams related to the instrument panel, interior lighting, exterior lighting, bcm and ecm. The search feature here isn't google quality but google can help. I've posted many service manual diagrams to dispel doubts and hearsay, presenting info only as accurate as GM publishes. Unfortunately, info I posted ends at '05. However, most wiring with main functions like instrument panel gauges and lighting are similar from year to year so finding diagrams a year or two off may still help give you a general idea. One fact remains - Saturns using body control modules have all lighting and gauges driven by the bcm. This means digital signals for gauges and indicators. The bcm sends digital signals requiring less analog circuits driving leds and smaller incandescent lamps. One common theme your describing may be the dimmer switch or dial. The dimmer switch controls instrument panel lighting (incandescent lamps) via the bcm.

The bcm receives dimmer signals and in turn varies power by pulse width modulation, a form of high speed switching of voltage to control current that drives gauges and lights. Did you try fiddling with the dimmer switch? There may be a possibility of cutting wiring for a new radio creating a short to the bcm, interrupting its circuitry controlling the dome light and i/p lights. If I'm not mistaken, radios backlighting is fixed so the dimmer switch doesn't control radio lighting. The bcm has wring for OnStar whether your Vue was equipped or not. Unused extra wiring and easier to make one wiring harness than two (one for OnStar, the other without). OnStar mutes radio sounds and lets OnStar use the radio speakers for cellphone conversations. Some wires aren't used if OnStar wasn't installed. I doubt the bcm was damaged but without more info on radio replacement and extent of splicing wiring, a short to the bcm may interfere with dimmer circuitry. The factory radio communicates to the bcm if radio errors occur. Error codes won't be P type but C type codes. GM, high end aftermarket readers/scantools and some lower cost aftermarket scantools are programmed to read and display P (emissions), C (chassis), B (body) and U (network) codes.

2-Try jiggling the dimmer switch/knob/dial to see if i/p lights come back on. You may have to remove the dimmer to see if its was disconnected.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:08 AM   #4
Darcnewowner

2006 VUE 3.5L

ok thank you for the input vcx nano. i will check with dimmer switch. more info though..

I just found out that previous owner failed to tell me a few things until the other day. He stated while driving about 20 mins it was cutting out. no lights, no power etc, if he let is sit on the side of the road for a few mins was able to get it back up and running. I'm thinking the bcm is blown.

I really feel this because of the lighting issues and the door lock/unlock (wont lock the doors at all) that was going on too. I have notice that the door open / key still in chime, was going off as i drove it for a test drive after i did the brakes. Yeah i had to do the wheel cylinders for the rear also. not just the drums pads and front pads. which i found out the rear driver side hub bolts were stripped from installing the wrong lug nuts and now that full hub and bearing needs to be replaced.
Nothing has been too expensive so far. Ebay for my parts if not partsgeek or rockauto.

about the bcm if i get one from the junkyard will one from a 2008 or 2007 be the same? will i need to have it programmed to my car? will any chevy dealership be able to do this? since saturn is no longer in business
i dont have any remote fobs for it ( they are being ordered actually on back order). what's usually the cost of programming it ?? would a nissan dealer be able to do this?? ( have buddy that works with a local nissan dealer).
Old 12-05-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

I paid 500 for my 07 torrent. And have put $40 into it. I have had 2-3 vues and 4 equinoxes and 1 torrent.
Had a 05 vue for $400 w/v6 that needed a starter. For $30. Sold it in 3 days for 1700
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In general, the body control module (BCM) has never proven to disable engine running when idling or driving. It does have GMs Passlock anti theft system but it disables injector operation when a theft attempt is made. The security light flashes to alert the thief and owner of a theft attempt. Vues will allow starter operation but without injectors, the engine will never run. If your security indicator isn't flashing, the random engine die off isn't the bcm causing it. All EFI systems are under ecm control. The only role the bcm has in disabling the EFI system is when a theft attempt is made, detected, the bcm sending a signal to the ecm to disable injectors while flashing the security indicator.

VCX NANO is an aftermarket scantool clone of GMs Tech II scantool.

Used BCMs from other years may work with several things to keep in mind. All ECMs and BCMs are married at the factory in regards to Passlock's anti theft system. When replacing either ecm or bcm, a relearn procedure done at home can marry the replacement part to the other. A 30 minute relearn procedure has been posted here several times. Search for it. The odometer mileage is stored in the bcm and cannot be altered despite many claiming so by third party special shops. Odometer tampering laws forbid changing odo mileage. The used bcm retains and displays mileage when ignition is turned on. The bcm also carries remote keyless entry programming. GM, high end scantools as well as some aftermarket scantools ate capable of programming remotes to BCMs.

Did you read my previous reply in its entirety. Consider main power as another possible issue. Main power random interruptions; battery, both battery cables, their connections including two main grounds (chassis and engine block). Severe corrosion on any electrical connection can result in intermittent power issues. Batteries can be tested at most auto parts stores selling car batteries.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #7
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcnewowner View Post
BTW I only paid $500. For it
& you got the 6 too! Car spend its life in NM? if so, it's still clean I bet!

Yet any dealer wants 4 grand at least, even up here with compromising rust issues.
Angry White Planet Ohth.... The REAL "Salt Life"!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:41 PM   #8
Darcnewowner

2006 VUE 3.5L

Fdryer : I've tried to search for that 30 minute relearn procedure you stated and keep getting other models not for the vue.

getting that parasitic battery drain that seems to occur a lot with the vue. so after reading a lot and finding that most changed the bcm and it was solved. So i did that also. i have not tried to restart the car yet but saw most posts say i need to "reprogram" the newer bcm. the donor bcm came out of a 2007 vue with same engine size.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:43 PM   #9
tcndeb
tcndeb will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Normal indication if Passlock isn't happy is for engine to crank, and possibly start, for a few seconds then die. The SECURITY light will blink/remain on steady until key is turned off.

You can synchronize (train) Passlock module, BCM and ECM by going through following steps:

30-Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlockô Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the Passlockô Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlockô Sensor Data Code and/or password.
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.
'04 Base Model Vue, 2.2, 5 Speed
tcndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #10
Darcnewowner

2006 VUE 3.5L

Ok.
so im looking and reading this but something is unclear to me.

after i try to start it and let off do i leave it in the "ON" position for the 10 mins? or turn it completely off and then try the "start" again after ten mins?
what im saying is either
1: try to start and then leave it "ON" for the 10 mins then after 10 mins try to start it again leave it on for 10 mins and then try to start it again and then wait ten mins then start it again.
OR

2: try to start it then turn it off and then try again after 10 mins 3 times?

attached a photo of dash as it is now. security light is solid not blinking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210118_115116 (2).jpg (93.1 KB, 3 views)