SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 01-13-2021, 12:49 AM   #1
BrockE_25
BrockE_25 is on a distinguished road

Default Turbo Saturn build

I'm currently building my 95 sl2 to be turbo charged and im curious on what crank to use. I've done some research and in 99 they made the cranks with 8 counterweights. Is that better than the lighter cranks when it comes to increasing power?
BrockE_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2021, 01:03 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Turbo Saturn build

I'm not sure which is the overall stronger crankshaft, but the heavier one is better balanced (smoother running) and can "pointlessly" rev higher.
"Pointlessly" because there's a steep power dropoff after 6300rpm so the only benefit is either being higher in the power band for the next gear or faster lap times from not shifting.

I think I'd run the heavier one anyway. It'll help on take off similar to a heavier flywheel, and you ought to find a 3rd gen DOHC anyway to take the lower block brace and windage tray to swap onto whatever block you end up using to rebuild. I believe any of the connecting rods are compatible with any of the crankshafts, it's only the rods & pistons that you have to worry about.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:43 AM   #3
BrockE_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
I'm not sure which is the overall stronger crankshaft, but the heavier one is better balanced (smoother running) and can "pointlessly" rev higher.
"Pointlessly" because there's a steep power dropoff after 6300rpm so the only benefit is either being higher in the power band for the next gear or faster lap times from not shifting.

I think I'd run the heavier one anyway. It'll help on take off similar to a heavier flywheel, and you ought to find a 3rd gen DOHC anyway to take the lower block brace and windage tray to swap onto whatever block you end up using to rebuild. I believe any of the connecting rods are compatible with any of the crankshafts, it's only the rods & pistons that you have to worry about.
Thank you, Much appreciated I'm going to be running a light weight flywheel is that a bad idea? Or will that help?
Old 01-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The more rotating mass you have the easier take off will be, but it'll be slower to rev up. The weight trade off on the crankshaft is worth it because it's better balanced, a lighter flywheel should offset the heavier crankshaft and if you find a 7lb one within your budget you'll still have less rotating mass than stock.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:42 AM   #5
BrockE_25

If I were to internally balance the lighter crankshaft would that be a viable option as well? I'm getting Ferrea Valve train and Gude camshafts. I'm hoping to push her a up to 8k.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:36 PM   #6
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Blow up your stock engine learning how to tune first. Build your other engine once you boost the stock one as you'll have a better idea what you really want.
sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SC2 - RHD
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #7
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Balance the lighter crankshaft?...that just sounds like bolting in the heavier crankshaft except harder and more expensive to end up with a crankshaft that weighs the same.