SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about
 
emg77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 905
 

2008 Astra XR
Default 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

Here are the pricing changes for the Astra for 2009 according to Edmunds.com. All prices are MSRP (US dollars)

2009 5 door XE
Base price increases from $15875 to $17045 – This is an increase of $1170
Oil Pan Heater is now a $75 option
No options change in price

2009 5 door XR
Base price increases from $17425 to $18595 – This is an increase of $1170
Advanced Audio Package increases from $595 to $695 – This is an increase of $100.
Oil Pan Heater is now a $75 option
No other options change in price

2009 3 door XR
Base price increases from $18375 to $19545 – This is an increase of $1170
Advanced Audio Package increases from $595 to $695 – This is an increase of $100.
Oil Pan Heater is now a $75 option
No other options change in price

According to GM Media, the changes for 2009 are:
-New tan cloth seat and door inserts available on all models
-Advanced audio package available on five-door XE model
-Oil pan heater available on all models
-Date on information screen organized by month/day/year vs. day/month/year
-Twelve-hour clock replaces 24-hour clock
-Saturn badge moves from rear bright bar onto upper painted surface
-Revised 16-inch wheel cover design on five-door XE model (interim change)
-Polar White replaces Olympic White and Quicksilver replaces Star Silver (interim change)

From the photos on GM media, the Saturn badge isn't moving, but the ASTRA and XR or XE are moving off the bright bar and onto the painted area above on the back of the car. See this photo.
http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/previewpage?047065

There are no photos of the interior that I can find yet.
...
Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

Last edited by emg77; 10-16-2008 at 08:14 PM.
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
bryanm326
Member
bryanm326 is on a distinguished road
 
bryanm326's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 231

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
Here are the pricing changes for the Astra for 2009 according to Edmunds.com. All prices are MSRP (US dollars)

2009 5 door XE
Base price increases from $15875 to $17045 – This is an increase of $1170
Oil Pan Heater is now a $75 option
No options change in price

2009 5 door XR
Base price increases from $17425 to $18595 – This is an increase of $1170
Advanced Audio Package increases from $595 to $695 – This is an increase of $100.
Oil Pan Heater is now a $75 option
No other options change in price

2009 3 door XR
Base price increases from $18375 to $19545 – This is an increase of $1170
Advanced Audio Package increases from $595 to $695 – This is an increase of $100.
Oil Pan Heater is now a $75 option
No other options change in price

According to GM Media, the changes for 2009 are:
-New tan cloth seat and door inserts available on all models
-Advanced audio package available on five-door XE model
-Oil pan heater available on all models
-Date on information screen organized by month/day/year vs. day/month/year
-Twelve-hour clock replaces 24-hour clock
-Saturn badge moves from rear bright bar onto upper painted surface
-Revised 16-inch wheel cover design on five-door XE model (interim change)
-Polar White replaces Olympic White and Quicksilver replaces Star Silver (interim change)

From the photos on GM media, the Saturn badge isn't moving, but the ASTRA and XR or XE are moving off the bright bar and onto the painted area above on the back of the car. See this photo.
http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/previewpage?047065

There are no photos of the interior that I can find yet.
Wonderful- prices going up on an overpriced vehicle- what'll they think of next!
...
"According to a recent study, it was found that children are hereditary. If your parents didn’t have any, chances are you won’t have any either."- Jackie Mason
bryanm326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about
 
emg77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 905
 

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

Yep - I'm glad I bought an 08 and turned in my lease early rather than waiting to order a 09 the way I wanted it. I didn't get the premium seating or the color I wanted, but I'm still very happy with the car. The most important thing to me was getting a manual transmission.
...
Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough
 
onefunkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,531

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

biggest problem with the astra is the price, its one car that cannont take that kind of increase. they wont sell now without big discounts. saturn greatly misses the i0n that you could sell for 13 or 14k.
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:29 AM   #5
nababbo
Member
nababbo is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 478

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

Bad move, but perhaps inevitable. On the other side, how worse could the sales be? Nothing to lose.
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road
 
OPEL Blitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 848
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

Quote:
-Date on information screen organized by month/day/year vs. day/month/year
Weird
Quote:
-Twelve-hour clock replaces 24-hour clock
Strange
Quote:
-Saturn badge moves from rear bright bar onto upper painted surface
Stupid
...
2007 OPEL Astra Diesel
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road
 
K-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 2,654
 

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

Steel costs have been through the roof. Everyone's prices either are or will be going up.
...
Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #8
SaturnRaycer
Senior Member
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road
 
SaturnRaycer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 1,242
 

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

Even though the exchange rate isn't as bad now as it was earlier, I suspect these increases are to keep pace with higher costs across the board.

FWIW as of today. It takes 1.35 to buy one Euro.
http://www.x-rates.com/
...
Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
bryanm326
Member
bryanm326 is on a distinguished road
 
bryanm326's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 231

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEL Blitz View Post
Weird
Strange
Stupid
Call it weird, strange and or stupid, but most people in the US can't read the calendar any other way, or tell time any other way than am/pm. It's bad enough we import cars from Europe and sell tham as American cars, but why do we have "Go Euro"?
...
"According to a recent study, it was found that children are hereditary. If your parents didn’t have any, chances are you won’t have any either."- Jackie Mason
bryanm326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice
 
BobbyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 7,030
 

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

The Opel experiment is just as successful now as it was when Buick sold them in the 70's.

It's a niche vehicle and sales will not be any better than Saab's.

The scary fact is if they do build the next gen in Mexico, and the US doesn't buy them, what will GM do then?
...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 14.7 beta

Last edited by BobbyP; 10-18-2008 at 02:04 PM.
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:46 AM   #11
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road
 
OPEL Blitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 848
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanm326 View Post
Call it weird, strange and or stupid, but most people in the US can't read the calendar any other way, or tell time any other way than am/pm. It's bad enough we import cars from Europe and sell tham as American cars, but why do we have "Go Euro"?
You can have your weird formats but why on earth move the badges?
...
2007 OPEL Astra Diesel
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
LotusLord
Member
LotusLord is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 385
 

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

I agree on the badge moving, but the other time and date formats are just how we do it in the US. Month/Day/Year, I personally have no problem with the time being in 24 hour, but it should be an option to have it 12 hr and now it is.
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough
 
spencerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 5,007
 

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

I don't know what the hype about the calendar is. The only time I remember seeing it is when you first start the car, and I thought it was month/day/year.

As for the badges, they moved them on the Aura as well. The name of the car is now more visible. People are always asking "what kind of car is that?" so maybe that will help. I don't care either way. What drives me nuts is when a car is repaired after an accident and they put the badges back in the wrong place (or crooked).
...
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #14
newastra
Member
newastra is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto area
Posts: 53
Default Re: Rear badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
-Saturn badge moves from rear bright bar onto upper painted surface.
How does that differ from the 2008?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02520.jpg (109.5 KB, 29 views)
newastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #15
bdshaffer
Member
bdshaffer is on a distinguished road
 
bdshaffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 125
 

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Rear badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by newastra View Post
How does that differ from the 2008?
They actually moved the ASTRA and XE/XR badges up above the bright bar.
bdshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #16
skydrive
Member
skydrive is on a distinguished road
 
skydrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 315

2008 SKY
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

GM is acting irrationally desperate by raising prices so significantly. Almost all GM products are up far too much for 2009. It's absurd. GM's competitive advantage, in the absence of brand cache, has to be value. GM's vehicles are now priced significantly above the competition. They are pricing themselves out of consideration. Who "manages" this company??
skydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #17
zsi
New Member
zsi is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydrive View Post
GM is acting irrationally desperate by raising prices so significantly. Almost all GM products are up far too much for 2009. It's absurd.
In Germany an Astra comparable to XR 5d would cost about 18000 euros without local taxes. Converted to US$:s that is about $24300. So basically 5d XR's price tag should really read more like $24000 if Saturn wants to make any profit by selling Astras in the US with the current $-€ exchange rate. $18595 is still a bargain price for that car.
zsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #18
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough
 
spencerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 5,007
 

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

I bet GM figures that most people who buy the Astra are doing so because of the car, and not the price. They must figure that even with the price increase they won't lose too many sales.
...
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #19
nababbo
Member
nababbo is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 478

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsi View Post
In Germany an Astra comparable to XR 5d would cost about 18000 euros without local taxes. Converted to US$:s that is about $24300. So basically 5d XR's price tag should really read more like $24000 if Saturn wants to make any profit by selling Astras in the US with the current $-€ exchange rate. $18595 is still a bargain price for that car.
Well, too bad in the US prices are different, not just for GM....well I guess it's good for us.
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #20
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about
 
emg77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 905
 

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 2009 Astra Pricing Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
I bet GM figures that most people who buy the Astra are doing so because of the car, and not the price. They must figure that even with the price increase they won't lose too many sales.
My guess (and hope) is that they just raised the price so that they can include it in the rebate and financing deals. Perhaps they raised the price of the car so they can throw $1000 rebate on the hood and make someone feel like they are getting a great deal. Americans never want to pay "full price" for anything. We have to feel like we are getting a deal.
...
Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009 Saturn Vue Hybrid Pricing (September 29, 2008) Charlie Vue Green Line 5 10-27-2008 08:54 AM
2009 Saturn Vue XE/XR Pricing (September 29, 2008) Charlie 2008 Vue 0 10-25-2008 04:18 PM
2009 Saturn Aura Pricing (September 29, 2008) Charlie Aura General 0 10-25-2008 03:31 PM
2009 Saturn Sky Pricing (September 29, 2008) Charlie Sky General 0 10-25-2008 03:06 PM
2009 Saturn Outlook Pricing (September 29, 2008) Charlie Outlook General 0 10-25-2008 02:41 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.