SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
dragon370
dragon370 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default re-seal the valve cover gasket?

so my valve cover gasket leaks. not badly, but enough that i need to do something about it. i was going to just buy a new one, at like $20 on saturnparts.net.

but is there any way to simply re-seal the existing one? some kind of chemical or lube or anything i could buy at the local Advanced or Autozone?

if there is, how is it applied?

please advise. thanx all.
Brendan
1997 SC1- "Stacy" dk green, 5spd, Motegi, Kuhmo tires

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions, the Saturn will do as it damn well pleases.
dragon370 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: re-seal the valve cover gasket?

This is probably not recommended but if you were going to reseal it you would use RTV. There are different types but the auto part store counter person should be able to help out. Everything would have to be cleaned up WELL since RTV doesn't stick to an oily surface.
97 SW2 5-Sp 372k
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Your car (presuming it's the one in your profile) has a pre-formed rubber cam cover gasket, which includes the o-ring set for the spark plug holes. There is no stop-gap. They key, when replacing it, is to get the surfaces CLEAN and dry. The only place you _need_ RTV is at the two points where the timing cover meets the cylinder head. Some have recommended a THIN FILM of RTV on the rest of the gasket, to help "glue" it in place, but it's still the rubber gasket itself that seals the cover.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Just get a new gasket, they're only $20 or so. You can mess with it all you want, it still will probably leak. Just do it right the first time. And dont try over tightening the bolts thinking tigher is better and it wont leak. That just will snap the bolts.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
dragon370
dragon370 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

i bought red RTV silicone sealant. is that good?
Brendan
1997 SC1- "Stacy" dk green, 5spd, Motegi, Kuhmo tires

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions, the Saturn will do as it damn well pleases.
dragon370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon370 View Post
i bought red RTV silicone sealant. is that good?
You can use it for the small dab needed for the "T" joint where the head meets the timing chain cover. Other than that, its not needed nor recommended to use anywhere else on the valve cover.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
Old 04-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Just do it right the first time. And dont try over tightening the bolts thinking tigher is better and it wont leak. That just will snap the bolts.
Or it'll warp the cover, _causing_ a leak.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #8
Low Saturn

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Or it'll warp the cover, _causing_ a leak.
Actually if you look at the design of the valve cover bolts, the shank at the top of the bolt comes in direct contact with the head. It passes complety through the valve cover. The bolts kind of just hold the cover in place with a tiny bit of downforce. Tightening the bolts more than recommended doesnt really press the cover more into the head, just snaps off the bolts.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
Old 04-09-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
trimjb
trimjb is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I used a thin film of RTV Ultra-Black on mine. I wiped the surfaces real good with acetone first. Seals for me.
I would have replaced the gasket but it's on a car that we are troubleshooting and didn't want to spend more money on. Now that the car is running good I will replace the gaskets next time I have a reason to remove the valve cover.
John
trimjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Actually if you look at the design of the valve cover bolts, the shank at the top of the bolt comes in direct contact with the head. It passes complety through the valve cover. The bolts kind of just hold the cover in place with a tiny bit of downforce. Tightening the bolts more than recommended doesnt really press the cover more into the head, just snaps off the bolts.
Oof, that _is_ a good way to break off the bolt. And given this design, it'd most likely break off nice and flush with the head (not a good day).