SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General

Old 02-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
merovie
merovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura aboutmerovie has a spectacular aura about

Default What is UP with the gas cap on this car? (2006 Ion)

I remember when a gas cap screwed on until it was tight. On this car it turns until it is tight-ish and then clicks past that and then tightens up again but is there a gas cap for this car that just tightens the old fashioned way? Cuz it comes un-tightened while driving and turns on the check engine light and then just goes away.

I guess another question to ask is, is there an easier way to reset the dang computer other than disconnecting the positive cable on the battery for 30 minutes?

And yes, the first time this happened I got a new gas cap.

Why, when car companies try to "improve" on old designs they just screw things up? Why not just keep gas caps to where they just shut tight?
merovie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 07:06 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: What is UP with the gas cap on this car? (2006 Ion)

Long story short - if you think old designs are better without improvements, you're wearing blinders. 'Old designs', presuming you mean pre catalytic converter and electronic fuel injection, were polluters of gross proportions. As a long time allergy sufferer, I remember olden days of sitting in traffic in nice summer weather with sunroof and windows open, only to get home and rinse my burning eyes of untreated exhaust fumes. No more burning eyes since catalytic converters and EFI systems. No more polluted exhaust. And if you still think this is wrong then you don't want the most high powered muscle cars exceeding several hundred horsepower, all due to improved engineering in catalytic converters that once choked exhaust flow and now as free flowing as if they aren't inline the exhaust system. Coupled with improvements in EFI systems, muscle cars are more powerful than 'old designs', the ones with carburetors and mechanical distributors. If old designs are so great then why are Formula-1 and Nascar using fuel injection systems with sophisticated electronics?

If you have the need to reset memory, there are several ways to do this; pulling battery negative, pulling ecm fuse or using a reader with reset capability.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by merovie View Post
is there a gas cap for this car that just tightens the old fashioned way?
No.

Quote:
is there an easier way to reset the dang computer other than disconnecting the positive cable on the battery for 30 minutes?
Pull the ECM fuse in the underhood fuse block or use a scan tool as previously suggested.

Your description of how your cap is tightening, clicking, then tightening again makes me think that you have the wrong cap and the old one was also incorrect. A normally functioning cap will tighten about a 1/4 turn then click to prevent further tightening.

The brand matters too. I recommend using an AC Delco cap if possible because it guarantees that it will match the OEM design.

The 2003-2005 Ions use a different cap with a smaller neck diameter than 2006-2007 Ions.

Lastly, make sure the lip on the filler neck is clean and smooth.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 211K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 85K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:49 AM   #4
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan

When identifieng OEM gas caps there are two types of gas caps for Ions. You need to get that fits your year. I got a used one when testing my evap light out and realized it would not secure to my filler neck and vise versa.

Two diffrent gas caps for Saturn Ions. I promise
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
I guess another question to ask is, is there an easier way to reset the dang computer other than disconnecting the positive cable on the battery for 30 minutes?
[B]^^^ When doing this ALWAYS Disconnect the NEGATIVE cable 1st. Then the Positive if you wish. ( Not really needed however.) Your ECM can be damaged by your method.

When connecting the cables back up to the battery. Positive goes on 1st. Then the Ground cable.
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote