Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member
Hiddenlites is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Post Scanning ABS codes

I'm trying to read ABS codes on my '93 SC2. I have the Actron CP9110 scan tool with the cartridge for '84-'95 GM vehicles. As far as I can tell it is only good for reading engine codes and monitoring engine functions. When I try to read codes, it tells me that I have no codes present, even with the ABS light on.

My ABS light turns on anytime I drive over 78mph, and stays on until I shut the car off. The light will remain off the next time I exceed 78mph.

Is anyone aware of the chain parts stores having loaner ABS scan tools? I'm I improperly using the Actron scanner? Are the codes accessible without a scan tool?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2008 Saturn VUE Redline 175k sold 7/8/16
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2003, 08:30 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Actually 9 times out of 10 a speed related ABS code is due to a bad wheel hub sensor or sensor ring...check each sensor connector at each wheel AND make sure the ring "gears" for the sensors are undamaged and uncontaminated. The ABS units themselves are VERY reliable and even if it were the problem the speed would make no difference as far as a fault light were concerned. Have you had either front half shaft replaced or done any brake or rear brake conversion work done recently?
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 04-13-2003, 12:01 AM   #3
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

Now that I think about it, I had the left lateral link, strut assembly, hub, rotor, and caliper replaced with used parts (hit a curb while sliding sideways). I don't think I ever had the ABS light before that. So most likely it has something to do with that corner.

I can easily check the components of the front brakes, but since the rear is suspect, is there a way to inspect the ring gear inside the hub? I want to make sure that's the problem before I spend $90 on a new hub assembly.

Thanks Wolfman.
1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

Last edited by Hiddenlites; 04-13-2003 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:10 AM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Actually if you remove the rear tire of the one in question and trace the electrical wire running to the sensor you will find you can see the ring. Make sure the sensor is TIGHT in it's retainer and the wiring retainer is attached to the strut so it does not wave in the wind so to speak. If all that checks out, turn the hub by hand and observe the "teeth" of the gear for the ABS sensor. If you see ANY contamination clean it. The bad news is, if even 1 tooth is slightly damaged you must replace the hub to get a new gear, as it is basically impossible to repair, and even 1 damaged tooth will give weird readings to the sensor and hence the ABS unit..lighting up the light.
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Old 04-13-2003, 01:59 AM   #5
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

Thanks, wolf. It's going to be nice out tomorrow. I'll pull off the wheels and check it out. That should provide answers to problem #1.

Problem #2:
I think that the left rear caliper needs to be replaced, since the parking brake mechansim sticks, and won't release fully. I tried lubing the mechansim, and made sure that the release spring was intact. The mechanism also has some pretty good resistance to it when I manually released it. Since I will have the brake line opened, I will need a scan tool to properly bleed the system, according to my Haynes manual. Does anyone know where I could get a loaner tool?
1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia
Old 04-13-2003, 02:57 AM   #6
wolfman

Actually you CAN do it without the scan tool...
Disconnect the battery
Unplug ALL the electrical connections on the ABS unit
Have an assistant press down the brake pedal while you open the bleeder valve on the caliper to be removed.
IMPORTANT!!! Keep the brake pedal to the floor at all times DO NOT release it or pump it while changing the caliper!
Change the caliper as quickly as possible.
MAKE SURE the piston in the new caliper is COMPLETELY BOTTOMED before putting the brake line back on and the bleeder valve is CLOSED.
Hook up a bleed hose to the "new" caliper and submerge the end in CLEAN brake fluid.
Open the bleeder valve, KEEP THE HOSE SUBMERGED!
You can now release the brake pedal and bleed the brakes "normaly" BUT start at the caliper you changed FIRST and completely bleed it.
After completing the bleed process, reconnect the ABS wiring harness to the ABS master cylinder and battery.
Start the car and pump the pedal a few times BEFORE driving it, ABS should "self check" and be just fine.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:36 PM   #7
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

Has anyone ever told you this?

Dude, Wolfman, you rock!

Thanks for the help. If you're ever in the Chicago area, I'm buying you a couple of beers!
1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia
Closed Thread