saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 02-28-2022, 04:44 PM   #21
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: P0171 code, yet long term fuel trim indicate car is running rich

Thanks for the update.

I used the guide linked below to inspect & clean the UEC. I'm not sure how moisture gets inside. I thought maybe:

1- cover poorly closed (difficult to align 2 hinges, 2 closing clips that don't provide great feedback when locked).

2- cover o-ring (flattened, damaged...).

3- Underneath where wires enter box.

In my case, I think it was #1. Haven't had any moisture indications for years since I have been very careful aligning both hinges then snapping both clips.

https://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co...fira-b.371985/

If you look on the Euro forums, you will see occasional UEC failures. I don't remember the typical symptoms so that would be worth investigating.
AstraFasta is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2022, 10:46 AM   #22
goob
goob is on a distinguished road

https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/p0171-saturn-astra/
08 Salsa Red Astra XR 5dr 5spd
Spt Pkg, Prem. Aud. and Sunroof
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:59 PM   #23
Astra08
Astra08 is a jewel in the roughAstra08 is a jewel in the roughAstra08 is a jewel in the rough

2008 Astra XR

After exhausting all other options, it looks like the ECM will need to be replaced. Ordered one this week and will hopefully have it within a few days. The supplier is handling the VIN programming on their end.

Even though I have other vehicles to drive in the interim, this is turning into a much more protracted situation than I would have liked. One of the downsides of owning an 'orphan' vehicle I guess.

I'll post up an update after I swap the unit out.
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 04:34 PM   #24
Astra08
Astra08 is a jewel in the roughAstra08 is a jewel in the roughAstra08 is a jewel in the rough

2008 Astra XR

Well, still no luck. I ordered an ECM unit from Flagship One, which took about a week to get it programmed and delivered, total cost of $425.

After installing it, the key learning process would not pair correctly with the immobilizer, despite running through the process several times, resulting in a no-start condition. Fortunately, the R&R process is pretty straightforward for the ECM, so swapped the old one back in for now just to keep things running.

I did confirm with my scanner the VIN was programmed correctly in the replacement unit. At least the company was good about processing a return, but it still took several weeks.

There's a guy here who does import tuning, so I am going to see if he can assist. The units are available new from RockAuto for about $250, so that might be a better option anyway then a refurb.
Old 03-29-2022, 11:59 AM   #25
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

South Main Auto just recommended these tutorial videos on fuel trims (including P0171) from GoTech:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Ha0itIm4kwBa8C

Given the purge solenoid is a popular Astra failure on fuel trims, and is cheap, I still would consider replacing with OEM. I linked a video to that earlier.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2022, 06:04 PM   #26
Astra08

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
South Main Auto just recommended these tutorial videos on fuel trims (including P0171) from GoTech:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Ha0itIm4kwBa8C

Given the purge solenoid is a popular Astra failure on fuel trims, and is cheap, I still would consider replacing with OEM. I linked a video to that earlier.

Good luck!

Thank you. I did replace the solenoid, but no luck.

Those are very good videos.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:30 PM   #27
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Hope you crush this code soon!
Old 03-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #28
Astra08

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Hope you crush this code soon!

Makes two of us. Fortunately, this car is not my DD, but I still use it on occasion, mostly to take trips with my dogs or go biking, so I need to get it squared away at some point.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:55 PM   #29
Astra08

2008 Astra XR

Well, after several months, I thought I'd provide an update on this issue.

After not driving the car much since April, I finally broke down and took the car to the local Chevy dealer, always a last resort, after having run thru my own diagnostics and having another local shop who I trust look at it also.

The first shop did a diagnostic on top of what I had done, and they thought the ECM might need replacement, although they did suspect the brake booster had a vacuum leak, but didn't think it would contribute to the issue at hand.

After dropping the vehicle off, the dealer had the car for nearly two weeks, and ran thru several diagnostics, finally pinpointing the ECM as the culprit. Surprisingly, this unit, PN #55564082, was readily available from GM in a day or so.

Flashing the new module required getting GM involved to do it remotely on the tech's laptop, since neither the Tech2Win program or the Tech2 tool was able to get past the immobilizer step once the new ECM had been flashed. They had encountered the same problem which I did when I had attempted to replace the ECM with a third party programmed one, namely, the 10 minute key learn process, repeated three times, simply would not work, and they could never get to the point where the tools would allow them to enter the vehicle security code to get past this point. Really strange.

Once the programming issue was resolved, the car was started, but the lean condition persisted. Despite doing multiple smoke tests, switching out the 02 sensors with an old (working) set that I had supplied, etc. they finally focused on the brake booster and determined that it has an internal leak, which is why the smoke test which I had done, which the local shop had done, and which the dealer had done twice didn't reveal anything. It makes sense that the other shop had also mentioned this, and I thought I had verified the vacuum level by isolating that component when running my own test, but apparently I somehow missed it.

Once they pinched off the line to the booster, the lean condition disappeared and vehicle ran just fine, so the internal booster leak does seem to be the issue triggering the CEL. The dealer quoted me about 3.5 hours labor to replace it, plus the cost of me sourcing the part from the UK, so this will probably run in the $600 range to address, unless I decide to do it myself. I've done boosters on other vehicles and they can be a PITA, since you have to get up under the dash and perform your best sideshow contortionist impression, so I'm not anxious to do it on the Astra, but if anyone has done one and can provide some feedback it would be appreciated.

The cost from the dealer, including the new module, was less than a grand, so I suppose it could have been worse, although it would have nice to isolate the booster from the start and save a couple hundred on the job. At least I have an extra, programmed ECM now.

Hopefully this will help someone else should they encounter a similar issue, and check the booster as well as the rest of the vacuum system before going down the road of replacing the computer. This P0171 code does seem to be very sensitive to vacuum conditions, not just on this car, but on just about all ICE powered vehicles.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:58 PM   #30
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Here is a video on the prior generation Astra G; since engine is out of car it is easy to see. May be similar to Astra H but not sure. If you don't understand Spanish, you can select closed captions in English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB1m93Yadcs

Russians have a lot on their site. If you don't understand the Russian, copy the url into google, then select translate and the whole site goes to english.

https://www.drive2.com/l/460958706146741504/
Old 07-23-2022, 01:11 AM   #31
Astra08

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Here is a video on the prior generation Astra G; since engine is out of car it is easy to see. May be similar to Astra H but not sure. If you don't understand Spanish, you can select closed captions in English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB1m93Yadcs

Russians have a lot on their site. If you don't understand the Russian, copy the url into google, then select translate and the whole site goes to english.

https://www.drive2.com/l/460958706146741504/

Thanks AF. Muy bueno, since I do speak Spanish.

Obviously that is an optimal situation without having an engine in the way, and there are only two bolts securing it to the firewall. It isn't the work from the engine compartment that presents a concern, but rather the gyrations within the passenger area that always presents such a challenge for this kind of job. It's just a PITA for a 6'3", 220 pounder like myself.

I will order the booster this week and then decide whether I feel like tackling this job. It's straightforward at least, and having recently replaced the oil filter/cooler housing in my wife's Jeep Wrangler it will probably seem like a breeze.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:56 AM   #32
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

There is a service manual for RHD Euro Astras posted on-line. You can flush the brake fluid in the process.

https://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhal...replace_(lhd)/

- I think the "preheater" refers to diesel engines

- I don't know what"Remove driver's side footwell panelling" refers to. If it is the knee panel, this is how to remove Euro models. There are some hidden tricks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsdLld0LCFk

I read that the similar Zafira van requires a pretty serious engine drop for this procedure!
Old 07-23-2022, 11:58 AM   #33
Astra08

2008 Astra XR

Thanks. I have an Alldata subscription, and it details the replacement process but only calls for 1-1.5 hours of labor. That manual doesn't list the time, but it looks more involved. Interesting but not surprising the dealer quoted 3 hours.

AC PN for the booster is #93189714 in case anyone's curious. I did find a couple in the US, but they're pricing out around $400. So far, that Spareto part seems to be the cheapest option.

https://spareto.com/oe/93189714

Odd this part is so tough to source, since the master cylinder is a dime-a-dozen.

After 14 years, I still like driving this car, but unlike some of my other, older domestic vehicles, it's definitely getting to be more of a challenge for repairs.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:41 PM   #34
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra08 View Post
After 14 years, I still like driving this car, but unlike some of my other, older domestic vehicles, it's definitely getting to be more of a challenge for repairs.
Astras are fun cars.

We still see a lot of Astras in "local" junk yards on car-part.com. A lot of parts are available in the US. But internet sales make it easy and relatively cheap to source other parts from overseas; fortunately the Astra was a huge success in Europe so there is a lot of support there.

One issue is figuring out the blend of Euro-US programing tools for anti-theft. The youtube videos by "Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics" show how he did that. Ivan is available for phone consultations too if needed.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:02 PM   #35
Astra08

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Astras are fun cars.

We still see a lot of Astras in "local" junk yards on car-part.com. A lot of parts are available in the US. But internet sales make it easy and relatively cheap to source other parts from overseas; fortunately the Astra was a huge success in Europe so there is a lot of support there.

One issue is figuring out the blend of Euro-US programing tools for anti-theft. The youtube videos by "Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics" show how he did that. Ivan is available for phone consultations too if needed.

They are fun cars. The last couple of repairs have just been a major PITA, thanks to scarcity of parts and service knowledge.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep it on the road for another 100K miles or so because it's very handy for carrying my two bulldogs and bikes around.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:03 PM   #36
ProOpel
ProOpel is a jewel in the roughProOpel is a jewel in the roughProOpel is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
They are fun cars. The last couple of repairs have just been a major PITA, thanks to scarcity of parts and service knowledge.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep it on the road for another 100K miles or so because it's very handy for carrying my two bulldogs and bikes around.
Hey man

I've been trying to chase this and other codes for several months as well. I hope mine isn't the brake booster. I need to fix this code so I can sell my Astra as it's not running 100% right as it used to.

You mentioned the dealer pinch the brake booster line, which one is it or where is it? I'm gonna have a look at it later and see if I can locate and replicate what your dealership did to see if my car runs better.

Thanks for all the updates and the follow ups you did. Have you replaced the part already?
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Autolite XP5224 spark plugs
GM valve cover/PCV (55564395)
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
Illuminated shift knob
ProOpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #37
AstraFasta
Advanced Member

Sorry to see you exiting the Opel world!
Old 09-30-2022, 12:03 PM   #38
ProOpel
ProOpel is a jewel in the roughProOpel is a jewel in the roughProOpel is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Sorry to see you exiting the Opel world!
I'm not haha but I'm preparing to leave the country so I'd like to buy another Astra abroad, so you'll see me around here
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
Illuminated shift knob
Old 09-30-2022, 01:59 PM   #39
Astra08

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProOpel View Post
Hey man

I've been trying to chase this and other codes for several months as well. I hope mine isn't the brake booster. I need to fix this code so I can sell my Astra as it's not running 100% right as it used to.

You mentioned the dealer pinch the brake booster line, which one is it or where is it? I'm gonna have a look at it later and see if I can locate and replicate what your dealership did to see if my car runs better.

Thanks for all the updates and the follow ups you did. Have you replaced the part already?

Pro,

They pinched off the line leading into the brake booster. You'll see it leading from the 'T' fitting at the back of the intake.

I have not replaced the booster yet, partially because the code has not come back, and also due to the limited availability of the part. I'm keeping my eyes open for a NOS one, but it one doesn't surface, I'll go with the Spareto unit.

Are you getting the same code with yours?
Old 09-30-2022, 02:04 PM   #40
ProOpel

Quote:
Pro,

They pinched off the line leading into the brake booster. You'll see it leading from the 'T' fitting at the back of the intake.

I have not replaced the booster yet, partially because the code has not come back, and also due to the limited availability of the part. I'm keeping my eyes open for a NOS one, but it one doesn't surface, I'll go with the Spareto unit.

Are you getting the same code with yours?
Thanks mate. I don't remember exactly the code, but I'm pretty sure it was the same one. Same symptoms etc. Replaced a the evap part too, but it was with one from a used car. Tested fine, but will try to get a new part.

Will pinch the line from the booster and see what happens though. Concerning we can't get the brake booster in the states, yikes.
08' Astra XE 5dr
5 spd manual
team2fast 200 sportcat
Side skirts
SRi top spoiler
SRi rear bumper skirt
Illuminated shift knob