SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #1
"Sadurn"
"Sadurn" is on a distinguished road

Default Car unhappy after being parked

Greetings wise ones I just had my 97 SL1 (auto) parked for about 3 months and it is really protesting coming back to life. I put fresh gas into it and it starts ok but then the fun starts.

At first the idle is reasonable but as it warms up, it starts to roughen up. If I put it in gear and try to drive (when warm) the idle picks way up and the car wants to take off. If I then put it in Park Or Neutral, the idle shoots up to 3000 for a few seconds, then rapidly back to sub-idle and dies.

At one point, it was getting dark and I tried revving the "poo" out of it to wake it up and the exhaust under the car was glowing VERY red hot!

I supected the EGR because it gave me a pulsing idle once before. I cleaned it back then and no more problems until now. I checked it again this time and although it was a bit black, it was not sticking at all. Cleaned it anyway, put it back but no change.

I did a scan and here's what I got...
PO300-Random Misfire
PO301-Cyl 1 misfire
PO340-Cam Sensor Circuit Malfunction
PO341- " " " Range Performance
and....
PO1404- EGR temp sensor circuit.

I still suspect the EGR but they are big $$$ just to guess and be wrong. Do these fail electrically very often? I thought sticking was the big problem? Also, is the EGR temp sensor circuit internal to the valve, or is it a signal from somewhere else like ECTS?

Thanks for any advice! ....Ken

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to "Sadurn"'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help "Sadurn" reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
"Sadurn" is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
tmaugham
tmaugham is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1997 SW2
Default Re: Car unhappy after being parked

Just a wild guess but make sure that nothing took up residence in your tailpipe to cause a back pressure problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tmaugham's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tmaugham reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tmaugham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
"Sadurn"

I was wondering about that? When I was revving it up, there were a couple of chunks of burning "something" that spit out the tail pipe? I COULD feel exhaust flow with my hand when it was running but I can't tell if it is restricted. The pipe was red up to the cat converter, and ok after that.

Would that give me the weird symptoms I had? I'll check it out when I attack it again. (the car's an hour away, and no-where near a dealer) I'll try pulling the O2 sensor and see if it helps before disconnecting the exhaust at the manifold .

Thanks! Any other ideas out there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help "Sadurn" reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Glowing cat means clogged cat or unburnt fuel. Given the fact that you are getting misfires, you're sending a lot of unburnt fuel through. P0340 and P0341 are an indication of a ignition problem as are the misfire codes. Pull the plugs, clean and regap them. Pull the wires at the coil packs and make sure that the towers are clean and not corroded. You might want to pull the coil packs and clean off the back side of the DIS module (the square thing under the coil packs) and the transaxle where the DIS module sits. I wouldn't worry about the EGR until the ignition problems are fixed.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
dlczrx
dlczrx is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE="Sadurn"]Greetings wise ones I just had my 97 SL1 (auto) parked PO340-Cam Sensor Circuit Malfunction
PO341- " " " Range Performance

P0341 - this code popped up on me. I replaced all of the plugs, wires, and was still stumped. I looked at the coil towers a second time and found them covered in oxidation. I cleaned them with some steel wool, put the wires back on with that silicon stuff that comes with new wires and no more problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dlczrx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dlczrx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dlczrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
"Sadurn"

Great stuff ! Thanks. Would ignition problems make the idle rev up when hot, then die like that? I guess I'm "old school" where bad plugs=hard starting and rough idle. I'll definitely change plugs and check wires, coils etc.

So the EGR code could be just a symptom rather than the problem? That would be good cause plugs are way cheaper haa-haa.

Thanks Gang!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2006, 12:27 AM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

REPLACE the spark plugs with CONVENTIONAL (non-platinum) ones gapped to .040.

Clean the CORROSION off the coilpack plug wire towers and use some die-electric grease on the INSIDE of the plug wire boots (NOT THE METAL PARTS) on both ends of each plug wire.

Clean the COILPACK to engine block mounting bolts (SEE MY USER GALLERY!!)

CLEAN the throttle body, especially the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve and passage.

Run a bottle of TECHRON fuel injector cleaner through with a 1/2 tank of FRESH gas.

CHANGE the oil and OIL FILTER.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote