SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2006, 01:21 AM   #1
americanbulldog
americanbulldog is on a distinguished road

Default 97 sl2 daily driver need info

hey ,

i just brought a 1997 sl2 with only 68k miles on it,and i was wondering if i could add performance.and still have a reliable daily driver.becouse this is my daily driver now,but i want to add intake,and headers if i could find some and a full exhaust system from the headers all the way back.so can every one put some info in on this.and where i could find some headers,and if possable a full bolt on exhaust kit for this car.

and what are some other things i could do and still have a daily driver.

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to americanbulldog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help americanbulldog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
americanbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2006, 02:12 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: 97 sl2 daily driver need info

What you propose won't affect the reliability. It'll make your car sound funny, and will lower the fuel economy (esp. since it'll tempt your right foot), but other than that, it'll still be a fine DD.

Um, you'll only need one header... The '91 and '92 twinkies were manufactured with 4-2-1 headers/downpipes. They bolt right up to any twin cam head up to '98, and they show up on eBay and in our Classifieds section every now and then. OBX and a couple of others make aftermarket headers/downpipes; figure on spending at least $200-ish.

Rest of the way back, you're on your own. Bigger diameters, straight-back cat bypasses, fart cannons, the usual suspects.

Intake - your choices are short-ram (mostly noise) or Cold Air (real +HP, esp. with exhaust mods; auto trans blocks the path). One less dramatic option is a drop-in K&N filter in the stock airbox.

Alloy wheels will help, and won't make the thing so d@mn noisy.

Other notions: '99-up dog-bone mounts with Prothane inserts, KYB struts, strut braces (front and/or rear).

All of the above will still leave you with a reliable daily driver, that doesn't look (but may sound) like a rice-boy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
sl1budgettuner
sl1budgettuner is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default Re: 97 sl2 daily driver need info

HKS and Thermal R&D makes cat back exhausts for our cars.

'98 SL1 A/T
AEM SRA
MSD Plug Wires
H&R Sport Springs
KYB Struts
Progress Group 19mm rear sway bar
Rear Strut Bar
Sumitomo HTR 200 High Performance Tires
17.563 1/4 mile

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl1budgettuner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl1budgettuner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl1budgettuner is offline   Reply With Quote