SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
MadAdam
MadAdam is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Lock Cylinder and Clutch Safety Switch Questions

I'm working on a '97 SL2 Manual. I've been trying to narrow down a no start situation that seems to be the fault of something upline from the clutch safety switch. I'm able to get the car to start and run fine if I jump the purple wire that connects the clutch safety switch to the starter. I tested for voltage with the key in the start position at the white wire, which I assume runs from the key to the clutch switch. I got nothing. I assumed at this point that it must be the ignition switch. I pulled a used one from a '98 SC2 this morning and just finished putting it in following Wolfman's instructions on another post. Nothing changed. I think something might be messed up in the lock cylinder where it is not engaging the switch. The cylinder itself seems to functioning fine, but I would appreciate it if someone could look at these pictures to see if the rest of the mechanism looks ok. It seems to me that no voltage at the switch (either wire but I think I should only be concerned with the white one) rules out the clutch safety switch as faulty. Maybe I shouldn't be using junkyard parts either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MadAdam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MadAdam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MadAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
peppermrj
Advanced Member
peppermrj is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Post Re: Lock Cylinder and Clutch Safety Switch Questions

Can't help with the lock cylinder. I did check the online wire diagram and it lists the wire as yellow. http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...3d8019a777.jsp click on figure 6.

Yellow goes from the ignition switch to the starter relay (97 & 98) which is linked to the RKE module. You could have problems with either of those also.

good luck and let us know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peppermrj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peppermrj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
peppermrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
MadAdam

1997 SL2
Default Re: Lock Cylinder and Clutch Safety Switch Questions

Thanks for the information peppermrj. I have some time this afternoon and will check back in later. After fooling around with the cylinder yesterday, I think it's alright. It must be the relay or the RKE. After doing some quick looks around this site it looks like the RKE module deals with the door locks. Something is starting to make sense. Another symptom I didn't mention in my first post is the doors are NOT locking/unlocking unless done manually. Wait, RKE = Remote Keyless Entry?? Could a bad RKE module cause a no start? Thanks again for the link.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MadAdam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe this will help?

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...ze/big/cat/500

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
MadAdam

1997 SL2

Well, I'm not much of an electrician. Here are the readings I get at the relay with the key in the start position:

yellow wire #1 (from key) : 12 or so volts
yellow wire #2 (from relay back into relay): 12 or so volts
yellow/black wire (from relay to RKE module): 12 or so volts
yellow wire #3 (from relay to clutch safety switch): nothing

Doesn't it seem that if the relay is powering the RKE, it should also be sending power to the safety switch? Should I just replace the relay? Sorry for my ignorance. I haven't dealt with wiring diagrams so much. Thanks Wolfman.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
MadAdam

1997 SL2

I pulled the relay and jumped from the yellow key wire to the yellow wire that goes to the safety switch. The car started right up. It must be the relay. Saturn of Kalamazoo just quoted me $27.95 for a new one that will be here Thursday. Thanks for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
MadAdam

1997 SL2

Well this saga unfortunately continues. The new relay didn't make a difference. After reviewing the wiring diagram Wolfman posted, it looks to me, and i hope someone will confirm this, that the RKE module is supposed to provide a ground for the starter relay. I pulled a second RKE module out of the junk yard and that didn't solve my problem so I'm thinking the RKE's ground is bad. Does anyone know which wire provides a ground for the RKE? The RKE module isn't bolted down to anything so I assume it's grounded by one of the wires coming out of it. All the wires head towards the floor so I might be taking the carpet out soon. It needs a cleaning anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #8
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and this may have absolutely nothing to contribute toward resolving your problem, but...

Have you tried simply reprogramming your RKE fob and getting the car to unlock remotely instead of with the key? My son had a somewhat similar problem on his SL2. Once we reprogrammed his key fob, it started fine.

These links will help you if you opt to try:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59192

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73504

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jambra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jambra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
MadAdam

1997 SL2

The RKE will not reprogram. After following the chart here
http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...00/ppuser/3528 , I believe my problem to possibly be in CKT 402.

Here is an overview of all problems: Starter relay is not working because the RKE will not provide a ground to yellow/black wire. Power locks are not working. Rear defrost is not working. Service WRENCH light turns on when car is started by manually grounding yellow/black wire (esssentially bypassing the RKE).

How do I test for an open/short in CKT 402? I don't even know where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #10
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

"Power locks are not working. Rear defrost is not working."

I am assuming that you have checked ALL the fuses in BOTH fuse boxes.

That being the case, check to make sure that the wiring harness plug into the BACK of the in car fuse box it in tight, and has clean/good connections, and that the CHIME MODULE (also plugged into the the BACK of the in car fuse box) is also good. Do you get the "key in ignition chime" when you open the driver's door with the key in the ignition? (Also a function of the chime module)

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #11
MadAdam

1997 SL2

O.K. Much to my embarrASSment, the problem was caused by a blown 10 amp "Body" fuse in the instrument panel junction block. Feel free to chastise me and remind me of the merits of checking the simple things first. Thanks for the replies Wolfman. I think I'm going to change my username now .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #12
wolfman

Eh...happens to the best of us. Now you, as well as others, understand why I start so many posts regarding electrical problems with "Check all the fuses in BOTH fuse boxes." (And to my chargrin have recently started to add, "As in pull each one out and LOOK or use a TEST LIGHT."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!