SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
runformoney?
runformoney? is on a distinguished road

Question lowering springs

hey
i have a 2005 ion 3 sedan and i want to lower it. i was wondering what spring kits do you guys recommend?
thanx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runformoney?'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runformoney? reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
runformoney? is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
mishellyg
mishellyg is on a distinguished road

Default Re: lowering springs

I got a spring tech kit that was supposed to lower it 2.5 inches but it looks more like 3.5. It looks awsome now that Ive got my 17s on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mishellyg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mishellyg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mishellyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
danigurl1978
danigurl1978 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellyg
I got a spring tech kit that was supposed to lower it 2.5 inches but it looks more like 3.5. It looks awsome now that Ive got my 17s on it.
How much did that run? I changed my rims and tires, but it still needs to be lower in the front. I don't want to spend too much on it though. :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danigurl1978's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danigurl1978 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danigurl1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
runformoney?

cool, so where did u get the kit from. these are the wheels i was looking to get:
http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/Call...ear=no&email=Y

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help runformoney? reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2006, 04:18 AM   #5
1_can_dream
1_can_dream is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How's that affect the car performance wise? I hear everyone on here preaching Eibach's. Any troubles with clearance and drivability?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1_can_dream's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1_can_dream reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1_can_dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:40 AM   #6
dcfatalis100
dcfatalis100 is on a distinguished road

1991 Astra XE
1991 AURA XR

EIBACHS!!!!11111

I can turn corners at higher speeds, its a nice drop. I have a lot more control over my car.

I have no trouble with clearance or driveablility. I can still go over the curb and what not.(really close though). Speed bumps arent a problem either. Your ride will be rougher though, the springs are stiffer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcfatalis100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcfatalis100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcfatalis100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:21 PM   #7
jentzsch23
Advanced Member
jentzsch23 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan

i am partial to the eibachs as well. when i get a litlte more fundig saved up, i am going to go woth them. they offer a 1.4 in front and 1.6 in the rear. i like that because our ions have a little more fender gap in the back then in the front. the little extra drop in the rear will give it a more even look to it, i think anyway. plus, i have seen some pics of people who have the eibachs and it look really good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jentzsch23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jentzsch23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jentzsch23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
ion skater6912
ion skater6912 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

eibachs look really nice, but for price wise check ebay, there are some cheap ones there

2005 ion sedan
Tsuedo exhaust, 17" motegi ff7s, eibach springs, copertop stb, recaros, ported LSJ manifold, ZZP downpipe, coupe front end swap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ion skater6912's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ion skater6912 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ion skater6912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
mishellyg

I wish I had a way to take pictures. It takes most speed bumps with ease but some are just too high. The tires clear the fender walls I was kinda scared that they wouldnt today cause I went with tire size 215-45-17 I was gonna do 205's but I chanced it and Im glad. Before I lowered it I had to go through this steel grid on a bridge everyday and it wobbled really bad boefore I lowered it and then after it was a little less and now that I got the wider tires it handles like a dream. My husband found the springs on ebay for 250. and the rims on a different tuner board for 250 as well. the most expensive upgrade I have right now is my tires I went with falcon azienas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mishellyg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
twizted_ion
twizted_ion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

i have skunk2's. they say 2.5 inches but it seems like its settling more over time. the ride quality is semi-stiff- and turning corners is great. only i cant go over speedbumps or my driveway without clipping my exhaust or bumper.

those ran me 160 shipped

2004 ION QC2- AEM,Ractive Custom 2.5 Exahust,CF Hood, 17" DC Rimz, Skunk 2 Lowering Springs, Fiberglass Enclosure, Kickass System, And the FLIP Flop Trunk

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/801092

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twizted_ion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twizted_ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twizted_ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #11
Iceberg18
Iceberg18 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I was looking at the aggressive drop of the skunk2s; one because I wanted a dramatic drop and two because the price is outstanding. Twizted Ion, have you ridden in an ion with Eibachs to compare? I was leaning in between either skunk2 or eibach and everyones praise of the eibachs made me want to get them and not have to fear a harsh ride of low, super-stiff springs. Are the skunks really as rough as everyone supposes a 2-2.5" drop should be?

Can you beat me?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Iceberg18's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Iceberg18 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Iceberg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:43 AM   #12
jentzsch23
Advanced Member
jentzsch23 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan

for me personaly, i do not want to worry about scrapping bottom at every bump and every rough patch of road. the eibachs will give me that piece of mind and a great look w/ handaling that i am looking for. for me its easy, eibachs!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jentzsch23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jentzsch23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jentzsch23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:58 AM   #13
IonNinja
Advanced Member
IonNinja is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

I've got Sprint springs, 2.5 or 3.5 drop like mishellyg said? no way in hell...but they are one of the biggest drops right behind Skunk2's

I'd go with Progress if I had to do it over again, I'd like a little more stiffer spring.

2005 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IonNinja's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IonNinja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IonNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:47 AM   #14
mishellyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonNinja
I've got Sprint springs, 2.5 or 3.5 drop like mishellyg said? no way in hell...but they are one of the biggest drops right behind Skunk2's

I'd go with Progress if I had to do it over again, I'd like a little more stiffer spring.
sprint and spring tech are different companies

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #15
twizted_ion
twizted_ion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg18
I was looking at the aggressive drop of the skunk2s; one because I wanted a dramatic drop and two because the price is outstanding. Twizted Ion, have you ridden in an ion with Eibachs to compare? I was leaning in between either skunk2 or eibach and everyones praise of the eibachs made me want to get them and not have to fear a harsh ride of low, super-stiff springs. Are the skunks really as rough as everyone supposes a 2-2.5" drop should be?
personalli i dont think the ride is bad at all. i even have low profile tires and yet i still dont feel every bump and what not. turning is great, even though they took about a month to settle in.

2004 ION QC2- AEM,Ractive Custom 2.5 Exahust,CF Hood, 17" DC Rimz, Skunk 2 Lowering Springs, Fiberglass Enclosure, Kickass System, And the FLIP Flop Trunk

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/801092

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twizted_ion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twizted_ion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twizted_ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #16
Speed Mafia
Speed Mafia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Agreed^^^

I just installed some springs from "Spring Tech" and they where very Cheep ($99) and when i took the car down from the lift i was like DAMN!

then we placed on 18" wheels with 215/35/18 and it looks sick sick!

We do need to run a taller tire as it does ride a bit rough but i think with a 225/45 or 50/18 will be just right!

But Eibachs are nice just a bit pricey but that is because of the name but yes they are great company but i remember when they sold there spings for a reasonable price...etc

the other springs i dont know much about...

spring tech cheep and look good very agressive drops

Eibach little more money but good quility spring...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Speed Mafia's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Speed Mafia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Speed Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #17
runformoney?

thanx for all the imput everybody. so ill prolly go with either the eibachs or the sprints, if i keep my stock 16 rims for now i wonder if it will look funny but i will soon upgrade to some 17"'s so it will be chill, but do u recommend waiting to lower until i get the rims?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #18
IonNinja
Advanced Member

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
sprint and spring tech are different companies
no they aren't, my Sprint springs say Springtech on the box...

anyway, I'd pick a different spring if I had to do it over again. Sprints have the softest spring rate and they're more for looks than performance.

2005 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help IonNinja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #19
trancer78
trancer78 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2002 SC1

I was looking at getting the lowering springs as well but that idea has been scrapped... I checked with my dealer and he confirmed that this would indeed void my warantee... not worth it... I guess I'll just have to wait a few years. I was looking forward to dropping that ass end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trancer78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trancer78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trancer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:55 AM   #20
IonNinja
Advanced Member

2005 ION-2 Sedan

it will not void your entire warranty

just know that if you have suspension problems they will most likely blame it on the springs

your warranty can only be void if it is the direct cause of the problem, if you have engine problems they cannot refuse to fix your car because you have lowering springs.

search the Moss Magnuson Act...states everything you need to know

2005 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!