SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Information 2007 Saturn VUE Green Line Hybrid Details to be Released Tonight

Visit SaturnFans.com after 12:01am EST on January 8th (tonight) for a detailed look at the 2007 VUE Green Line Hybrid. I'll have all the available information and photos posted here. Watch the unveiling live online at gmexperiencelive.com beginning at 6:15pm EST on Sunday.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2006, 04:15 AM   #2
MichaelVUE
MichaelVUE is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2007 Saturn VUE Green Line Hybrid Details to be Released Tonight

Cool - maybe time for a dedicated VUE Green Line forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Visit SaturnFans.com after 12:01am EST on January 8th (tonight) for a detailed look at the 2007 VUE Green Line Hybrid. I'll have all the available information and photos posted here. Watch the unveiling live online at gmexperiencelive.com beginning at 6:15pm EST on Sunday.

Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MichaelVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MichaelVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MichaelVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Just read the press release. Sounds like an interesting prospect. Wonder if Saturn will keep it FWD only or offer AWD? Ford's Escape Hybrid is available both ways.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
RonHerfurth
RonHerfurth is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

I apologize for rehashing a tired old subject but in all the excitement over the GreenLine I guess I lost track of the downs; will the 2007 VUE including GreenLine have plastic doors or metal?

Ron Herfurth 94 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RonHerfurth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RonHerfurth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RonHerfurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

The 2007 Vues will still use plastic panels

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
dulino
Advanced Member
dulino is on a distinguished road

Any rumors on what sort of warranty Saturn plans to offer standard with 2007s, Green Line specifically ?

Main reason we chose Matrix over Vibe for my wife was that Matrix offered a 60K warranty compared to 36K warranty on the Vibe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dulino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dulino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dulino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
futurevue
futurevue is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2002 SL1

Maybe in 2-3 year when my boyfriend has gotten into and graduated from the nursing program he can treat himself to a hybrid Vue. He is already jealous of mine. Plus by then hopefully the bugs would be worked out. I don't think I would trust getting a first model year version.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to futurevue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help futurevue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
futurevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
dulino
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurevue
Maybe in 2-3 year when my boyfriend has gotten into and graduated from the nursing program he can treat himself to a hybrid Vue. He is already jealous of mine. Plus by then hopefully the bugs would be worked out. I don't think I would trust getting a first model year version.
Or second, third, fourth... I am becoming very picky as far as cars are concerned. I am not getting another first-decade model again. I had some bad experiences with 80's Sable/Taurus, 2000 Focus, and 2004 VUE. The latter is "ok" but that is what it is -- "OK". I want my car to be great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dulino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:07 PM   #9
SaturnVue'03
SaturnVue'03 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I just don't see how you can justify paying 2-3k more for a hybrid while it get's only slightly better milage. I get 23-24 mpg consistantly driving in city conditions. At only 27mpg in city driving...it's just not that big of a difference. You would have to drive hundreds of thousands of miles to make up the difference in gas savings.

I mean you'll get the people that want a hybrid because they want to be "environmentally friendly", but I just don't see it being much better then buying a normal 4cyl vue.

just my 2 cents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnVue'03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnVue'03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnVue'03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
dulino
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnVue'03
I just don't see how you can justify paying 2-3k more for a hybrid while it get's only slightly better milage. I get 23-24 mpg consistantly driving in city conditions. At only 27mpg in city driving...it's just not that big of a difference. You would have to drive hundreds of thousands of miles to make up the difference in gas savings.

I mean you'll get the people that want a hybrid because they want to be "environmentally friendly", but I just don't see it being much better then buying a normal 4cyl vue.

just my 2 cents.
There is a point at which price of gas becomes sufficient expensive that you'd be willing to pay $2K extra for the hybrid.

As far as environmental issues are concerned I question the extra amount of raw materials and industrial emissions required to produce the additional drivetrain complexity. Hybrids simply shift the location where waste goes. It may not come out of your tailpipe but it has to go somewhere when you dispose of that battery and electronics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2006, 06:10 PM   #11
SaturnVue'03
SaturnVue'03 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Even at $3 a gallon you would have to drive approximately 100,000 miles just to break even on the cost difference between the regular 4cyl and the hybrid 4cyl (assuming that the Hybrid version only costs $2000 more). I would venture to guess that most Vue owners do not even own their Vue for that long.

So in conclusion, I say it's not worth the extra money. Again that is just my 2 cents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnVue'03's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnVue'03 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnVue'03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #12
dulino
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnVue'03
Even at $3 a gallon you would have to drive approximately 100,000 miles just to break even on the cost difference between the regular 4cyl and the hybrid 4cyl (assuming that the Hybrid version only costs $2000 more). I would venture to guess that most Vue owners do not even own their Vue for that long.
Actually, at 4.2% inflation rate, 15% gas price growth (like what it was in the past few years), current prices at $2.15, annual mileage of 15000 and keeping the car for 100K miles, the hybrid VUE breaks even with a 4-cyl FWD VUE. In this scenario average fuel cost is $5.46/gallon over the life of the car.

Now, if there is some disruption every year like a hurricane and average gas prices grow at 25%/year the 4-cyl VUE becomes about 2 cents more expensive to drive for each mile driven resulting in a $2K savings over 100K miles.

How about 50% growth ? The 4-cyl VUE is almost 20 cents per mile more expensive then the hybrid, yielding $20K in savings over 100K miles.

Think of the hybrid as giving you free 3 miles for each gallon used. It is like buying pre-paid gasoline. Sort of like futures contracts.

In other words, buying a hybrid in hopes to save money on fuel needs to be viewed as a bet that gasoline prices will rise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #13
MichaelVUE
MichaelVUE is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Will the VUE be eligible for tax breaks? Those need to be part of the hybrid cost-benefit equation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MichaelVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MichaelVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MichaelVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #14
lithous
lithous is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

To put it into perspective for me, I see that the Appearance package is almost $1400. That includes Allow Wheels, Painted Running Boards, and Rear Spoiler. If the hybrid system is under $2000 as stated in the information, then, because of the current rareness of hybrids and tax breaks, the resale value for getting the hybrid would be well worth getting compared to some of the other options for one could spend money on (like the appearance package), IMO.

But, one thing I don't understand is how they got the prices shown. If the hybrid adds less than $2000 and a 4 cylinder automatic currently starts at $19,345 then the price of a hybrid should start at $21,344 (considering when they say under $2k they mean $2K-$1 ).

Unless they say, the 2.4L carries a premium over the 2.2 (even without adding a hybrid) and then I have to assume all these new guages (for telling battery life left and optimal gas mileage, as stated to be standard on the hybrid) add to the price that aren't in the $2000 hybrid upgrade stated.

Anybody figure where they (Saturn) are getting the numbers stated, it seems like $3500 more not $2000 more?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lithous's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lithous reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lithous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:05 AM   #15
doctoru2
doctoru2 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

I just learned of the hybrid Vue and was initially excited.

I bought my first Vue (the 2006) model late last August. I bought it because it was inexpensive (front-wheel drive, 4 cyl., manual) while still having many "goodies" (power everything) and supposedly great fuel efficiency (the sticker claimed 29 mpg on the highway - I have never seen this). I was disappointed in the fact that I never came close to that great feul rating, but overall, the car is fine (just don't live on a hill where it snows - front-wheel drive is a nightmare for that).

When I saw a hybrid was coming out, I thought surely this would dramatically increase the mileage rating. After all, even though I don't get 29 mpg on the highway, I do get good mileage overall - so the hybrid should really improve on that.

Yet, I see rather minimal increases. Also, I fail to see an AWD or 6-cyl hybrid. That latter may not be possible, but the AWD is crucial. If I buy another SUV, I will insist it be AWD.

I hope Saturn keeps working on this - the hybrid should get better mileage and offer more options.

I will say, though, that at least the base price is reasonable. All other hybrid SUV's, including the Escape, are well over $30K. I applaud Saturn for making their hybrid be realistic in cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to doctoru2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help doctoru2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
doctoru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #16
red96
red96 is on a distinguished road

I've driven the Green Line and it a great SUV but it main advantage is in stoplight to stoplight driving. There is no gain in open highway driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #17
futurevue
futurevue is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by red96
I've driven the Green Line and it a great SUV but it main advantage is in stoplight to stoplight driving. There is no gain in open highway driving.
That is why I would want one, since most of my driving is exactly in those conditions. I very rarely get to drive on the freeway unless it's on long trips.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to futurevue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help futurevue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
futurevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #18
sissonct
sissonct is on a distinguished road

I just saw on the news that some insurance companies are already offering discounts for any hybrid vehicle. Add those savings onto the claimed gas savings and it may make it more worth while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sissonct's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sissonct reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sissonct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #19
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I love the flakey statistic they use to sell the Vue. Best highway mpg.
Quote:
The VUE Green Line delivers an estimated 20% improvement in fuel economy, depending on driving conditions. It is expected to deliver an EPA estimated 27 mpg in the city and the best highway mileage of any SUV at 32 mpg.
The Ford Escape hybrid gets 36mpg city and 31mpg highway.

I'd say the real world mpg on the Escape would be higher in 99% of driving.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #20
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork
I love the flakey statistic they use to sell the Vue. Best highway mpg.

The Ford Escape hybrid gets 36mpg city and 31mpg highway.

I'd say the real world mpg on the Escape would be higher in 99% of driving.
IMO GM was asleep at the wheel with fuel efficent vehicles.You can bet the folks at Ford will make the public very aware that the Escapes get almost 10 mpg more than the VUE in local driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote