SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
$1K Special
$1K Special is on a distinguished road

Default My '93 SL2 failed NJ emissions.

First off, still being new to this forum I'd like to thank and congratulate you all on your wonderful work. Now then, both the NOx and HC were slightly above the state maximum (will post actual numbers shortly) but the CO was well below the limit. The ECTS was replaced five weeks ago and the PCV valve, plugs and wires are roughly two months old. Curently no trouble codes stored (paperclip test) or SES light at all under any conditions. Are the EGR valve and/or catalytic suspects here? I should note it has 148k miles and runs nicely. Thanks in advance.

A '93 SL2, some oil and a prayer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to $1K Special's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help $1K Special reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
$1K Special is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2
Default Re: My '93 SL2 failed NJ emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $1K Special
First off, still being new to this forum I'd like to thank and congratulate you all on your wonderful work. Now then, both the NOx and HC were slightly above the state maximum (will post actual numbers shortly) but the CO was well below the limit. The ECTS was replaced five weeks ago and the PCV valve, plugs and wires are roughly two months old. Curently no trouble codes stored (paperclip test) or SES light at all under any conditions. Are the EGR valve and/or catalytic suspects here? I should note it has 148k miles and runs nicely. Thanks in advance.
check your O2 sensor. Sounds like your cat isn't doing it's job, or your PCM doesn't know how to have your car run. Both could be due to the O2 sensor. Replace it, and see if you pass. (cheap fix) Then, if you still fail, try a new cat, but make sure if you get a new cat to also replace that ****in' O2 sensor. "Go as a pair the two of these do."-

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:57 AM   #3
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

i hate to say it but the cat is mostly at fault, did they give you a CO2 reading? you can try cleaning the EGR but i can't gairentee anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:15 PM   #4
farescb
farescb is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
Happy Re: My '93 SL2 failed NJ emissions.

I had the same issue and it was the EGR valve. You can clean the carbon built up on it. you should be able to find articles on how to clean it on this forum. I just replaced them since they had never been replaced before so I didn't have to go back for a test.

The only stupid question is the one you dont ask!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to farescb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help farescb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
farescb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
ralheid
ralheid is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

All the above, plus check the air cleaner filter (clean/replace), and look at your new EGR Valve, is it oily or cruddy? (ie too much blow-by can cause poor emissions test.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ralheid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ralheid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ralheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:12 PM   #6
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

You might try cleaning the EGR as well as the throttle body followed by either the steam cleaning procedure in the how-to or any of the other top engine cleaning procedures. If it were me, I would drive it for at least a 100 miles or so after that and change the oil before retesting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Applefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:28 AM   #7
Noobsaturndude
Noobsaturndude is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

yea thats what I was going to say too check egr(is it just me or am I the only one that thinks egr valves are stupid?) O2 sensor I had an eagle premier that failed at it was the O2 sensor. then get you cat checked out. those are the only things I can think of that would be doing that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Noobsaturndude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Noobsaturndude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Noobsaturndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:37 PM   #8
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobsaturndude
am I the only one that thinks egr valves are stupid?
EGR valves aren't that stupid, they do a good job, however EGR valves on Diesels are beyond stupid.

just my 2 cents

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sierrap615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #9
JADEDSL2

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrap615
EGR valves aren't that stupid, they do a good job, however EGR valves on Diesels are beyond stupid.

just my 2 cents
No crap. Why bother? I hate diesels. Worthless piles of junk, and they stink like hell too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #10
Nowhere Man
Nowhere Man is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADEDSL2
No crap. Why bother? I hate diesels. Worthless piles of junk, and they stink like hell too.
You can run diesels off of used vegtable oil. Then you have free fuel and the emissions tests show better results than a really clean gas engine.

95' SW2
131,000 Miles
32-MPG avg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nowhere Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nowhere Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #11
JADEDSL2

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
You can run diesels off of used vegtable oil. Then you have free fuel and the emissions tests show better results than a really clean gas engine.
Sometimes. Even so, diesel's break easy, and they're expensive as hell to fix. We sell injection pumps on a regular basis (reman mind you, not new) for anywhere from 1600 to 2600 dollars. I don't think so, I'll keep my 30+ mpg gas burner. Plus, as of last year, my '91 passed emissions with better readings than some 2005 4-bangers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!