SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
jamur87
jamur87 is on a distinguished road

Default car repair quotes at a local saturn dealership

Hi everyone,
I recently went to Saturn to have my oil changed (lifetime oil change program). Anyways while i was there the tech informed me of several issues with my car. I would like to get your guys opinions on how easy it is to do these myself. A few weks prior I changed the plugs and wires, pcv and by myself and will be attempting front brake pad replacement soon. I have some technical expertise and am willing to learn how to work on my car even if it takes all weekend to do a simple job. My main problem is tools and space. Right now i live in an apt but i can drive to a friends or my parents if necessary to get tools or work in a garage. Here is the list and prices quoted:

serpentine belt $79
air fuel induction service $99.99
valve cover leak $210
resonator leak $325
strap and hanger part of muffler $129

I read about the valve cover repair so I am considering that repair. BTW i drive a 99 SL2 with about 111k miles on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jamur87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jamur87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jamur87 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
plainzwalker
plainzwalker is on a distinguished road

Default Re: car repair quotes at a local saturn dealership

I know the strap/muffler hanger deal is an easy job. I just did mine about 2-3 weeks ago and it took about 45 minutes to do. I payed about $25 with shipping if I remember correctly from 6thPlanet (it was a used part, but good condition). The hardest part was figuring out how to get the new one on. I ended up having to grind a couple of corners down to make it easier. Definitly a DIY job, just make sure you have a access to a lift to make the job a little easier.

The valve cover problem is relativly easy. I attempted one on my 99 DOHC engine, just to find out I had the wrong gasket, but the original was still good. That job took me about 2hrs (I de-oiled the cover and spent about an hour letting it dry). Thats another fairly easy job, just follow directions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plainzwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plainzwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plainzwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Wrench Re: car repair quotes at a local saturn dealership

When you do the front pad replacement for Brakes, it is fairly easy but may take you a couple of hours. The bolts that hold the calipers and pads in place sometimes have a tendency to get "welded" in place...so much to the point you will have to drench the bolts in liquid wrench or use a couple of cans of WD-40. My wife's old 92 SL1 had the front left caliper bolts almost impossible to get off, we worked on the bolt for about an hour before it came loose .

Take your time with the brakes, and if your rotors look worn or you have some warping on them, I would replace those as well, they run about $25 from your local parts store (autozone, advance auto parts, napa).

Once you do brakes on a car you can pretty much do them on any car, they are all the same, just some are set up different...my friend's 99 ford is set up with these push pins that hold the calipers and brake shoes together...not very sturdy if you ask me...but then again he drives a ford, so that says everything right there....

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #4
nocolourblue
nocolourblue is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1996 SL2

saturn in my town just yesterday quoted me $125 for the valve cover gasket (not so muck a gasket in my case but a seal for a 96sc1. so i hear...) and $225 for input shaft nut retorque if reverse slam cure doesn't work..(had P0733 AND P0734 yesterday . for what it's worth...

i live in an apt too, so i feel your pain. i break the rules all the time and do my minor repairs/fluid changes on the top level of the parking garage after the leasing folks have left for the day.

tell me aout this lifetime oil change program. was it part of a deal for a new car purchased from them or can anyone get invovled? some fool traded mine in years ago and i gladly took it off their hands! it's been so great so far ( august 1999 purchased 68k in alabama's version of traffic , now 128k in atlanta traffic , so not a bad deal) i'd love lifetime oil changes. it's not like it's rocket surgery, but saturn is not out of my way and i love the free car wash!!!

vincent

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nocolourblue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nocolourblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nocolourblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
jamur87

The program was offered at the dealership to me and I recieved a postcard in the mail about it. What it is, is you pay $59.99 up front and future oil changes are free. It pretty much pays for itself in 2-3 changes. Each time you get your oil change the cost per visit decreases. Basically after 10 visits in the program each oil change comes out to approx $6. The program lasts for as long as I own my car so it wasn't a bad program to get involved in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jamur87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
oneharbour78
oneharbour78 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

No one has mentioned the serpentine belt- so I'll throw in my .02.

Since you are doing the brakes, take off the wheel well splash shields(when you do the passenger side)- they are just held in with a few of the omnipresent 2 part clips(pry out the center , then remove the outer part) Find the belt tensioner pulley- should be adjacent to the top front of the wheel well- and you can easily get a wrench on there to loosen it- hold it loose while taking the belt off of any pulley(whichever one is within reach of your other hand.)Put the new belt on the same way- wrap around all but one pulley, loosen the tension, and slip onto last pulley. There should be a belt routing diagram in your engine compartment above the radiator if you need it. IMPORTANT:Keep the old belt in your trunk. Toss it in your spare tire well. They are great to have in an emergency. The belt costs ~$20, and will only take 5 mintes extra when you do the brakes...definitely an easy money saver DIY

While you have the splash shields off, might as well inspect your dogbone motor mount as well. You'll notice it behind the crankshaft pulley(IIRC). Inspect the rubber bushings for cracking or deterioration

PS...my house doesn't have a garage so I do all of my work on the street. And I live on a corner house, so there is some traffic. No one seems to mind though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oneharbour78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oneharbour78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oneharbour78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
jamur87

Thanks guys for the response. It is sounding like i can save myself a bundle by doing these repairs myself. Not to sound silly but what does IIRC stand for?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2005, 11:54 AM   #8
oneharbour78
oneharbour78 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

IIRC=If I Recall Correctly

BONUS another common one:

IMO or IMHO
In My (Humble) Opinion

...There is also a thread in the How To Forum, IIRC(this is an interactive lesson ) about all the different abbreviations and such commonly used on this site. Most are car abbreviations like EGR, PCV, and Cat....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oneharbour78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oneharbour78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oneharbour78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:14 PM   #9
jamur87

ok thanks i'll read the thread

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2005, 12:59 PM   #10
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

I agree with the serpentine belt replacement. So simple, actually anyone can do it! Can't see why the cost is so much to have it done? Good luck,

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:19 PM   #11
ARS_Lurker
ARS_Lurker is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Regarding the resonator leak: I just had the resonator on my 99sl2 replaced at a local muffler shop. They cut the old one out and welded in a new one in about 20 minutes. I only paid $50 total.

Valve Cover leak: the Saturn dealership sold me the gasket kit for $29. I will be doing that this weekend. The how-to(s) on this site make it seem pretty easy.

Fuel Induction Service: Not sure what they are going to do here but I would wager it is just cleaning the Throttle Body and maybe some injector cleaning. I followed the how-to on that one and it took about 1.5 hours from start to finish. I noticed the difference right away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ARS_Lurker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ARS_Lurker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ARS_Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #12
jamur87

the tech told me my throttle body was sticking so i think the induction service was just a cleaning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2005, 03:32 PM   #13
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

[QUOTE=plainzwalker]I know the strap/muffler hanger deal is an easy job. I just did mine about 2-3 weeks ago and it took about 45 minutes to do. I payed about $25 with shipping if I remember correctly from 6thPlanet (it was a used part, but good condition).QUOTE]

i paid $26 for the brand new part from the saturn dealership. sounds like joey's laughing all the way to the bank...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:41 AM   #14
plainzwalker
plainzwalker is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=S3aturnR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainzwalker
I know the strap/muffler hanger deal is an easy job. I just did mine about 2-3 weeks ago and it took about 45 minutes to do. I payed about $25 with shipping if I remember correctly from 6thPlanet (it was a used part, but good condition).QUOTE]

i paid $26 for the brand new part from the saturn dealership. sounds like joey's laughing all the way to the bank...

s3aturnr
Yah? Well saturn lost out on money then huh? I couldn't find a single part number for that part either on here (I asked) or at Saturnparts. And seeing as to how the closest saturn dealer (if there actually is one) is around 1000 miles away in England, I don't see myself driving down there to ask. Besides, the people at 6th Planet were nice, a lot more then I can say for my experience at any dealership I've ever been to.

BTW.... that did INCLUDE express shipping and I got the part within a week. That alone is worth $26

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plainzwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plainzwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plainzwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:22 AM   #15
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

You can do a very good cleaning your throttle body.. in less than 20 minutes.

Belt cost $20 at my local auto parts store.

Like others suggested, go to a muffler shop for the resonator and muffler. You can have a system MADE for that much money!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:16 PM   #16
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Take the throttle body off to clean it. It only takes a couple of minutes.
It turns into a really funny story when someone has the flexable carb cleaner tip sucked into their engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:32 PM   #17
ud503j
ud503j is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl
Like others suggested, go to a muffler shop for the resonator and muffler. You can have a system MADE for that much money!
I don't think it cost that much to have my Trooper system bent and welded up, and that was with a flex pipe!

1997 SW2 --> 'Vi'
g/f's 2002 SL2 --> 'Raven'

R4V3n SP33D's boytoy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ud503j's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ud503j reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ud503j is offline   Reply With Quote