SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2000, 07:38 PM   #1
dave

Default Turning circle

Hi! I'm a new Saturn owner and new to this board. I really like my 2000 SL2, so do my wife and kids, but there is room for improvement.

My biggest complaint is that the turning cicle is too high for a car that small - 41 ft., vs. 34 ft. for the Corolla I almost bought. One reason why I like small cars is that they are easier to maneuver in crowded parking lots, etc. but the SL2's large turning cicle negates much of that benefit.

Also, I detest Firestone and am looking forward to replacing them with Michelins or some other real tire. I would like to see Saturn either drop Firestone or give their customers a choice of tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2000, 12:21 AM   #2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

41 ft turning circle for a SL2? Hmm...strange. The turning circle for my 97 SL2 is 38 ft if I remember correctly.

I agree that Saturn needs to chuck the Firestones out the windows. Hear of the quality issues of the tires mounted on the L-series? Scary. However, not all Michelins are the greatest either. A replacement tire that I do suggest (and many other people would suggest) is the Firestone Firehawk SH30. It offers superb performance on par with many 90-dollar+ tires, at a price of only about 60 bucks each. Although these are size 195/60/R15, they'll fit on the stock rims perfectly fine.

Welcome to the Saturn family, and welcome to the board. I'm sure you'll find many happy miles of satisfying driving...burning up those Civics...

Never regret not buying a Corolla. The handling just isn't on par -- bottoms out and leans too much. The SL2 is much, much
better.

Acevedo 97sl2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-30-2000, 12:52 PM   #3
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

I don't think there is any question as to the fact that S-series Saturns have a larger turning circle than its competitors, but there is confusion as to how much it really is.

I believe the source of the discrepancies is the fact that there are two different measures in use. One is called curb-to-curb and the other is wall-to-wall (or something like that). Curb to curb is measuring the smallest circle that the wheels can make (with the body overriding the curbs) while the wall to wall is going to be larger, measured imagining that you are in a wall to wall alley with no curbs.

So I don't doubt that a Saturn has a larger turning diameter than a Corolla, but it is more likely the 38 vs 34 than the 41 vs 34.

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-30-2000, 10:04 PM   #4
dave

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I think you're right - the technical specifications section of the 1999 sales brochure indicates that the "Turning Circle, curb-to-curb" is 37.1 feet for all models. In my previous post I was quoting Consumer Reports, I don't know where they got their figures.

Speaking of Consumer Reports, I'm glad I didn't follow their advice and buy a Protege. I test drove several, it's not bad car but it's certainly not the best small car in my book. I must be missing something!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 04-30-2000, 11:27 PM   #5
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

No, I assure you you're not missing anything. The new Proteges are indeed good small cars, but I still think the SL2's are more fun to drive. Consumer Reports twists its information, and even if it didn't distort the info, they still hold an uncanny bias against domestic cars. They love Hondas, Toyotas, Volkswagons, and Subarus, but if it has a domestic nameplate attached to it, they'll most likely disapprove of it before they even sit in the car.

Yes, Saturns do have relatively large turning circles. 37-38 ft sounds right. Still big though, as I found out when I tried to do a U-turn today on a narrow two-way road...had to put the car back into reverse to get more room. =)

Acevedo 97sl2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2000, 12:06 PM   #6
abkaiser
abkaiser will become famous soon enough

Default slightly related - Turning circle

I remember several years ago, they had some sort of wheel setup on cars that allowed you to turn the wheel, and if you turned the wheel past a certain point, the tires would rotate a full 90 degrees, and you could drive your car sideways! This came in handy, as I remember watching a video of a guy parking at a curb between two cars with like 6 inches of clearance on each end!

Andy

...I'm assuming this functionality would be disabled at high speeds...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abkaiser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abkaiser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2000, 12:12 PM   #7
abkaiser
abkaiser will become famous soon enough

...This was obviously a new technology that never went anywhere. Probably because of cost. Just wondering if anyone has heard where this went, or what cars it was on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abkaiser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abkaiser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2000, 04:53 AM   #8
SL2000
SL2000 is on a distinguished road

I saw those wheels on a few concept cars, and that's about it. IMHO, this would never catch on, as the general population is stupid. They can barely handle driving a car fowards and backwards. Throw another direction in, and the insurance companies will be throwing a fit!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2000, 05:02 AM   #9
SL2000
SL2000 is on a distinguished road

As far as the turning radius on the saturn, I don't know what the specs are, but it is a HUGE TR!!

I could turn my big honkin' Camaro around in places I wouldn't even dream of driving the Saturn. I guess wider is better. Oh wait, that's a Grand Am...

I noticed this at the car wash the other day. I've done a circle just fine there with a 93 S-10 blazer, a 92 Cavalier, a 94 Camaro... The 2000 SL2? I wound up starring directly at the middle of a huge garbage canister. I'd have to use the 'R' thing to get out of that situation. It's a little bigger than that cavalier, but a whole lot smaller than the camaro or s-10... What's the deal?? Make some more room in the wheel wells, add some more gears, can't be that hard to design a tighter TR. Could it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread