SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 12:00 AM   #1
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

Default Site moving REALLY SLOW.

Yeah, this place is crawlin'. Every other site I go to loads in about a second. This site is draggin' butt most of the time, every once in a while it comes up quick.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDarwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2003, 12:04 AM   #2
silverblueL200

I second that, the pages have been draggin since I got home around 6. Can't hardly get the forums to load.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 09-30-2003, 07:43 PM   #3
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member
MydnightMyst is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

Same here. Right now it is moving OK, but still kinda slow. It's not keeping up with my typing, but at least it's not crawling so slow that I get mad at it and give up. However, it's not its usual self. Charlie, do you know what is up? Are we overloading it or something?

~Christena J. Snowden~
1996 Saturn SL2 drag car
1996 Saturn SL2 street car
1997 Saturn SC2, 2003 OLOA class winner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MydnightMyst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MydnightMyst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:19 PM   #4
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Same - right now is fast. This morning it drug like a sloth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2003, 01:30 AM   #5
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member
Hiddenlites is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

I noticed earlier this evening (around 6pm Central Time) that the site was dragging ass, and pictures and avitars weren't loading. I thought the picture thing might be a combination of slow dial-up and the slow site. Everything is running fine since I posted this.

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2008 Saturn VUE Redline 175k sold 7/8/16
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiddenlites's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiddenlites reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2003, 04:37 PM   #6
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

Everything is still pretty crappy here. I use DSL too.. Well at least, now I know that it isn't all from me.. I STILL can't see what I am tyoping as I type it. I have to go back, constantly to make corrections, which also take forever to happen as I do them.. hehehe.. Anyway, where is Charlie?? HELP US CHARLIE!!! We cannot take this slllooooooowwwwww site...

~Christena J. Snowden~
1996 Saturn SL2 drag car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MydnightMyst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2003, 01:57 AM   #7
ChrisION
ChrisION is on a distinguished road

I've noticed this too. Some times the pages are really slow or don't load at all, but most of the time they're fine for me BTW I'm using DSL, AOL to be exact I'm too cheap to pay for high-speed even though I live on the 'net

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisION's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisION reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2003, 12:25 PM   #8
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

I apologize for my delayed response. This has been a very long week for me; I'm trying to catch up on posts and emails today. I'm working to find out what is causing the slowdown at certain times the board. I had my web host add another 256Mb of RAM and add another gig of HD space to the SaturnFans server three weeks ago in hopes that would clear up a number of the troubles some folks were experiencing. The changes did resolve some issues, but the site has slowed down since then. As a result of the feedback I've received this past week, I will make a few tweaks later today to the SaturnFans database, server, and forums/photos software that were recommended to me. Let me know if things get any better (or worse).

Thanks for your patience while I work through this.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2003, 06:28 PM   #9
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

I always wondered why everyone is allowed to post as many images as they like. There is a finite amount of storage available with any system. Maybe it's time to upgrade to serial ATA, if it has not been done already.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2003, 06:52 PM   #10
silverblueL200

Quote:
Originally posted by 94SL2withphone
I always wondered why everyone is allowed to post as many images as they like. There is a finite amount of storage available with any system. Maybe it's time to upgrade to serial ATA, if it has not been done already.
I imagine a web hosting company would be running SCSI drives, which still aren't cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 10-10-2003, 04:56 PM   #11
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

Well it's still been really slow.. I can't visit as much as I'd like because the slowness has been so frustrating..
I don't know about pictures and all that, but something is wrong.
Sorry to complain and moan but I LOVE this site so much and have been upset at not being able to come here as much!
It's been this way, for me, for about two weeks now. I know it's not easy hosting a site this HUGE, but hopefully the problem will rear it's ugly head and be an easy fix. *cross fingers*
Until then, I guess I'll just check back periodically to see if it's smoothed out or not.
Thanks in advance for the work you put into making us happy, Charlie. I am really sorry to moan about it, but like I said, I really love this site and it's just upsetting to not be able to visit as often and read or reply to messages
BTW, just timed how long it took me to write this message, and it has been a little over 4 minutes. *whew*

~Christena J. Snowden~
1996 Saturn SL2 drag car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2003, 05:57 PM   #12
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Don't be sorry -- I'm thankful for everyone's feedback. Sometimes its hard for me to notice how slow the site had gotten because I connect via dial-up on a PII 450 MHz PC... every site I visit seems to load slow with this computer!

I worked with my webhost last night for quite awhile, and they pointed out some problems that I will be addressing this weekend. Wei has been a big help too! With any luck, I'll have good news to report by Monday -- and hopefully you'll be able to surf through SaturnFans a lot faster.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2003, 11:43 PM   #13
Charlie
Administrator

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

I did a lot of work on the server this weekend, but still have more to do. I hope to finish up by tomorrow night. Does anyone notice any improvement of the site's performance? From what I can tell, things seem to be moving faster... but I'm biased because I also have seen the load on the server fall dramatically since I started looking into this problem.

Post your feedback: good, bad, or indifferent.

Thanks!
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2003, 11:27 AM   #14
silverblueL200

Seems to be quite a bit faster than it has been.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2003, 05:22 PM   #15
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

Well at first, when I logged in today, it was extremely slow as usual, but I can now surf through the messages a little faster. The responding to messages is still very very slow, but the words are just now starting to pop up a tad faster than earlier.. So it is a slight improvement..
Can still get through a few games before the message is finished, but hey, you're working on it and I have faith. Thanks again for the hard work!!!!

~Christena J. Snowden~
1996 Saturn SL2 drag car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-14-2003, 10:36 PM   #16
swoker183
swoker183 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

i just started using mozilla firebird today and the page of SaturnFans are just flying open, its really quick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swoker183's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swoker183 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2003, 03:37 PM   #17
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally posted by swoker183
i just started using mozilla firebird today and the page of SaturnFans are just flying open, its really quick
What is that? Where do I get it??? I use Ameritech DSL and normally other pages and sites are moving pretty swiftly. Only Saturnfans and Ebay are sloths.... Well Ebay is better than Saturnfans...
OH, the smiles aren't working very well either. The side bar of them isn't moving at all (even when I do NOT use them) and they are moving extremely slowly when I see them in other messages...
Holy cow, they just started moving AFTER I stopped typing... Weird...

~Christena J. Snowden~
1996 Saturn SL2 drag car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2003, 03:47 PM   #18
silverblueL200

check out mozilla.org for firebird & the regular mozilla browser, they kick butt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2003, 04:34 PM   #19
swoker183
swoker183 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally posted by silverblueL200
check out mozilla.org for firebird & the regular mozilla browser, they kick butt.
i have both of them but i decided to try firebird and i like it better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swoker183's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swoker183 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2003, 04:52 PM   #20
Xanatos
Xanatos is on a distinguished road

Yeah I use Firebird here at work, using Mozilla 1.4 at home... prolly gonna move to Firebird .7 at home and move my MozMail over to Thunderbird .3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Xanatos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Xanatos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread