SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Foxracing254
Foxracing254 is on a distinguished road

Default P0137 code

2002 SL2 DOHC

As the title suggests, I'm getting a low voltage error from my b1s2 O2 sensor. The sensor is brand new, I replaced it because the last one had a heater circuit fault. This sensor sits at the normal .450 volts at startup, and after 30 seconds or so it drops to about .01 and stays there. I bench tested it with a multimeter and a propane torch and the voltage Rose and fell as expected. I also jumped the signal wire on the car side to ground and watched the voltage drop from .45 to 0. So the harness seems all right and the actual sensor seems alright but on my scan tool it is showing no voltage when plugged in. No exhaust leaks. No catalytic converter, but I've owned the car about a year now and it's never had one and never been a problem until this sensor. Also have about 13 ohms between the two heater circuit wires. What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Foxracing254's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Foxracing254 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Foxracing254 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2019, 11:10 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P0137 code

My one cell between my ears isn't operating at the moment but I can provide technical info for you to determine what or where the problem lies.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information(1).pdf (108.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf Service Information(2).pdf (133.6 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:06 PM   #3
Foxracing254

Awesome. Great info. I should just nut up and buy a Haynes manual, but this will get me to pass inspection for now. Much appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Foxracing254 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
Foxracing254

Ok, BTTT. I ran through the diagnostics in those documents to no avail. With a brand new O2 sensor, the scanner is still reading almost zero voltage. Again, for the first 30 seconds or so it reads .455 volts. I pulled the harness off the PCM and check the continuity on the two terminals specified and got nothing. The next step in the service document is to replace the PCM. I know the PCMs on these things are bulletproof and not prone to failure, but what else could be preventing the computer from reading the voltage coming from the sensor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

To date, there is only one member with a similar O2 sensor/pcm issue but his was a fault in the upstream O2 sensor/pcm circuit. The upstream O2 sensor is crucial for emissions control and is often described in open/closed loop mode of operation. All other sensors were measured and verified. The O2 sensor was replaced but he noticed the pcm never went into closed loop mode. Open loop mode always occurs first when engine coolant temps are below approximately 140F and the sensor hasn't heated up above 600F. Once coolant temps rise above 140F and O2 sensor heats up, output signals are sent to the pcm, switching from open loop to closed loop mode. This member monitored all signals including the O2 sensor/pcm entering closed loop. The pcm was faulty. When it was replaced, he saw closed loop mode.

I cannot prove your pcm is faulty, especially when the downstream O2 sensor and circuitry are used only to monitor and report on catalytic converter efficiency. Your downstream sensor error code is pointing to wiring, sensor or pcm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote