SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2019, 11:18 PM   #1
SlayZombi
SlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL
Question New Clutch, Possible Issues?

Had someone do some transmission work for me today. Pretty reputable guy, got around via word of mouth and I took him up on his quoted price for full clutch kit replacement and new flywheel, new master & slave cylinder, and fluid flush. The issue I am having now is that unless I REALLY fully depress the clutch (no I don't mean just bottom out, I mean pretty much past bottoming out), it wont go into gear. I have to struggle to get it in any gear with the car on (off is fine). It doesn't grind or anything, it just wont get into gear. I told the guy about it and he said that the new clutch needs to wear in. Is there truth to this or should I get it checked out before my clutch is eaten away? I've driven a total of about 30 miles on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlayZombi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlayZombi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2019, 11:27 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Default Re: New Clutch, Possible Issues?

That is BS. The clutch should work properly the very first time it is put to use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:04 AM   #3
SlayZombi
SlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
That is BS. The clutch should work properly the very first time it is put to use.
Yeah I'm a bit skeptical...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
RicanSC-2
RicanSC-2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:

Yes, I have installed my clutches, not on Saturns but other cars/trucks first time, he missed something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RicanSC-2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RicanSC-2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RicanSC-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The most common goof on doing the clutch is not properly installing the slave cylinder. Usually with a used unit the rod that goes inside the transmission falls down into the bell housing but it could just be misaligned on the bar that physically actuates the clutch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I also call BS. Something is wrong either with the parts or assembly.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
macbox
macbox will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayZombi View Post
... new master & slave cylinder, and fluid flush.
My first thought is air in the line for the master/slave cylinder. Iím with fetchitfido in that the master/salve assembly is not installed correctly. The slave cylinder needs to be lined up correctly and have a solid push and twist to get it into place and can be a bit tricky. Also check the fluid level and ask him what kind, it needs to be a DOT-3 fluid.

"The Twins"
#4, "Betty" 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#7 "Betsy" 1995 SC2, 131K, daily driver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

The OP said the master and slave are new, too.

But, there was also a "fluid flush". That may be a clue. If the master and slave were replaced, in the normal manner, there would be nothing to flush...

First step would be the "wire test" to determine if the fork throw is adequate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I was wondering what fluid was flushed - hydraulics or transmission. Not that you can really do either. If he tried to flush the fluid on new, sealed hydraulics that already have fluid he may have messed it up.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
SlayZombi

2001 SL

Quote:
The OP said the master and slave are new, too.

But, there was also a "fluid flush". That may be a clue. If the master and slave were replaced, in the normal manner, there would be nothing to flush...

First step would be the "wire test" to determine if the fork throw is adequate.
The unit came as one sealed assembly so I don't think that was flushed out. I told him to flush the transmission fluid, which was done because the dipstick is returning a nice red coloring. I did kind of mess around a bit with the slave cylinder last night and it seems to be able to rotate a couple degrees even without disassembling something. I'm going to give it a shot and try to reassemble it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #11
SlayZombi

2001 SL

UPDATE: I reinstalled the slave cylinder by using a picture to guide me to where it needs to be installed. I got it lined up perfectly and locked it in place. It's solidly in there. Started it up and tried again. It's no different. It's not totally unlivable but requires me to depress the clutch pedal to its maximum distance to even get it in gear. It also engages right off the floor. Like I mean maybe an 1/8th - 1/4th of an inch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #12
S-forever
S-forever is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1991 SL2

Does it feel even the least bit soft? If so, it's probably air bound and needs thorough purging. The first thing to do is to measure travel. It will take two people - one to depress the clutch. Richpin06A on Youtube has a video on exactly how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-FZ7bT4_A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S-forever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S-forever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #13
SlayZombi

2001 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-forever View Post
Does it feel even the least bit soft? If so, it's probably air bound and needs thorough purging. The first thing to do is to measure travel. It will take two people - one to depress the clutch. Richpin06A on Youtube has a video on exactly how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-FZ7bT4_A
Nope, it feels great and there were no leaks or anything of the sort seen when I took the slave cylinder out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-01-2019, 06:37 PM   #14
macbox
macbox will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

Need to actually measure the clutch fork travel as the next step in diagnosis. Since clutch, flywheel, and master/slave hydraulics are new, and the main suspect currently is the hydraulics that may have air in the line, it requires testing it to either confirm faulty unit or rule it out. Follow the link S-forever gave you to measure the clutch fork travel and report back.

Side question: what brand of hydraulics did the mechanic use?

"The Twins"
#4, "Betty" 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#7 "Betsy" 1995 SC2, 131K, daily driver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:49 AM   #15
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Do you know what brand clutch he used? Really only one brand worth installing. Luk. There may be a slight difference in the plate causing the issue.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #16
billr
Master Member

Aren't there even two versions of the LUK, one that needs to be "wound up" at installation and one that just installs with no fussing? Really, though, until the wire test is done, there is little point in guessing further.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #17
SlayZombi

2001 SL

Out of town right now. I'll be back with another update after I try the wire test later today. To answer the other questions about what brand of parts I used, I used the Exedy clutch kit and a LUK hydraulic kit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #18
SlayZombi

2001 SL

UPDATE: So I tried to do the whole wire thing and it wasn't going so well. None of my homemade contraptions were accurate enough so I just went ahead and followed this procedure to bleed it anyway: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123791

No bubbles came out no matter how much I moved the hardlines around. I guess that's a good thing... I put it all back together. I guess at this point I'll just wait it out. It seems to be getting easier to **** so maybe what that guy said had some merit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #19
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Are you sure they put the correct generation clutch in there?

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #20
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayZombi View Post
UPDATE: So I tried to do the whole wire thing and it wasn't going so well. None of my homemade contraptions were accurate enough so I just went ahead and followed this procedure to bleed it anyway: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123791

No bubbles came out no matter how much I moved the hardlines around. I guess that's a good thing... I put it all back together. I guess at this point I'll just wait it out. It seems to be getting easier to **** so maybe what that guy said had some merit.
I think he's trying to stall you. I did my clutch and it worked great the moment I got the car back on the ground. But these types of issues are common with bargain clutch kits.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote