SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
Bubster
Bubster is on a distinguished road

Default Electrical issues

So Saturday, I noticed that my car wasn't starting until I released the key then it would crank right up. It continued to do this through Sunday. Monday morning I went out and the car would not start at all. I tried to jump it to no avail. I hear the solenoid click when I turn the key to start, but that's it. I also noticed that the headlights aren't coming on when you turn the key on or when you unlock the car with the fob. They come on with the manual switch just fine. A Mechanic buddy of mine came by with his portable jumping testing device and that wouldn't start it either, it did however say that the battery was good. At first he thought it might be the ignition switch, but now that the headlights aren't coming on with the key or the fob, He is second guessing that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bubster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bubster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bubster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Electrical issues

Some background history is needed; year, mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced. Short cutting to one item - if the starter was never replaced with well over 100k miles on it, it may be worn out. Less mileage if this car is used frequently for short trips.

As usual, main power is considered the first place to start; battery, battery cables and their condition, main ground connections to chassis and engine block.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

As fdryer suggested....start at the battery, remove the cables, clean and reattach. Borrow a multimeter and measure the battery output. How old is the battery?

Background on the vehicle helps. Mileage....northern car?...battery age...car keep inside or outside the garage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
dmayorgap
dmayorgap has a spectacular aura aboutdmayorgap has a spectacular aura aboutdmayorgap has a spectacular aura about

2008 VUE 3.6L

Hi, i had the same issue a few weeks ago, one day the vue wouldnt start, just the solenoid click and norhing else, battery was fine tried to jump start with another car battery and nothing, dealer said there was a problem with the negative cable that goes to battery so they solder the cable in the place where it joins with the terminal, so far so good.

David M.
-----------
Chevrolet Captiva Sport AWD V6 3.6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmayorgap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmayorgap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmayorgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmayorgap View Post
Hi, i had the same issue a few weeks ago, one day the vue wouldnt start, just the solenoid click and norhing else, battery was fine tried to jump start with another car battery and nothing, dealer said there was a problem with the negative cable that goes to battery so they solder the cable in the place where it joins with the terminal, so far so good.
Soldering any cable is highly suspect. If a terminal is loose, typically a cable is re-terminated...or more commonly, the replacement cable which comes with terminals...one side for battery, the other to solenoid terminal...is replaced.

But I do agree, that this electrical issue maybe cable related. We haven't heard back from the OP with an update.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
dmayorgap
dmayorgap has a spectacular aura aboutdmayorgap has a spectacular aura aboutdmayorgap has a spectacular aura about

2008 VUE 3.6L

Hi, my VUE started again with the issue, when starting i hear only the solenoid click and no crank at all, the i try again and crank just fine, i've reattached the ground points that goes to the negative battery cable and cleaned the contacts, still happening sometimes, this behavior can be caused by a faulty battery?

Regards,

David M.
-----------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dmayorgap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
dmayorgap

2008 VUE 3.6L

Sorry, what i meant was " i hear only the starter relay click and no crank at all"

Regards,

David M.

David M.
-----------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Did you review post#2? If battery cables are fine, what's the condition of the battery? Tested at your local auto store? Last is the starter after normal wear and tear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #9
dmayorgap

2008 VUE 3.6L

Hi, should i make a voltage drop test with the battery cables? besides the battery test.

Regards,

David M.
-----------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Hi, should i make a voltage drop test with the battery cables? besides the battery test.

Regards,
1. Measure battery static voltage with a multimeter most should own as a household tool.. If less than 12.5 V without load, the battery will unlikely spin the starter even hearing the solenoid engage.

2. If battery more than 3-4 years old, replace it. Don't screw around with it.

3. If battery is relatively young, you have adequate voltage after a charge etc, remove the battery if you can't start the car and take the battery to autoparts store for a load test. This will determine its cranking power and status of the cells within the battery.

4. So the battery is the cornerstone of any electrical issue. If battery is good after a trickle charge, but voltage is low after a drive, then you need to check the status of alternator...if it increases voltage when the car is running.
But always start with the battery and if a few years old replace it.

From there, status of the cables and grounds need to be evaluated. If fresh battery voltage is 13 V +, you hear the solenoid and the engine won't crank, then likely your starter has failed.

In summary:
a. Battery status based upon age and above.
b. Starter status based upon overall vehicle mileage. Not uncommon to have starter failure approaching 100K miles. Not a certainty a starter will fail at this mileage but not unexpected either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Old 07-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:

Regards,
Unless you're well aware of how to perform a voltage drop test, the general battery test is described here and used by every auto store selling car batteries as a load test where a large load is placed on a battery for thirty seconds or a minute. The load is basically toaster elements that heat up and turns red hot. Large current is pulled from a battery, as much as 50+ amps to see how well it recovers, voltage wise. A battery load test is the best way to determine how good a battery is and relative to how long it can last. Good batteries cost a good penny and generally lasts the life of a typical five or six year warranty and then dies. Knowing how old your battery is helps to determine whether or not it's the problem right now or if it can last thru several more winters (in snow country).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!