SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2017, 01:55 AM   #1
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Question Does GM really need two brands of trucks?

It's been several years now since GM was reorganized and discontinued selling various brands of vehicles. I've wondered, why then does it need two different brands of trucks? What substantive difference truly exists between GMC and Chevrolet Trucks? I'm well aware of brand loyaties, differences in general body styling and interior styling, but those are surface items. I ask that you kindly refrain from responding with comments related to these things. I really want to know what members think here! Thank you!!

322,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Does GM really need two brands of trucks?

could have alot to do with buick dealers. how could they survive without gmc to sell along side the buicks??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

^True. I can recall that in the past there were also some Olds and Pontiac dealerships in SoCal that had GMC as a truck line on the same lot.

I'm still left wondering if that's an adequate justification for two truck lines. If the need to have GMC is so that a Buick dealership can also sell trucks then why not let go of Chevrolet as a truck brand and have Chevy dealers sell GMC trucks instead? It seems to me that Ford, Ram, Toyota, and Nissan all do well enough with - essentially - one brand of truck.

322,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Do they really need 2? Probably not...That said, as long as both keep selling in adequate numbers there's not really a good reason to discontinue one or the other. If one was to start selling in greatly reduced numbers I bet it would change. But since there's so much in common between them, without looking at sales statistics I'm thinking that an up year for one is an up year for the other and vice versa.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
I've wondered, why then does it need two different brands of trucks?
I've said the same thing for the last 10 years but GM won't listen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:16 AM   #6
blacknbluevue
blacknbluevue is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Are they both built on the same line? Or in the same city? Perhaps GM is thinking (this one time only) of keeping the jobs around.

1991 SL1 5 sp 120K mi SOLD
2004 Ion 2 L61 5 sp 155K mi SOLD
2005 VUE L61 5 sp 181K mi LOST IN TS JOAQUIN 10/2015
2007 VUE L61 5 sp 120K mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blacknbluevue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blacknbluevue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blacknbluevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ In addition, is one truck line geared towards commercial businesses requiring heavy duty construction while the other is designed for light to medium duty? Presenting several models may give GM a larger market share against others.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #8
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

I don't think GM does, but surprisingly there is a contingent of truck buyers who want an up-level truck without having to pay Cadillac-like transaction prices and Chevy's not quite what they're looking for, even though prices for LTZ-trim Silverados and Suburbans can easily command $50K, if not more. Jeep might be the closest to a proper GMC competitor, especially if FCA gets the Commanche pickup and Grand Wagoner back in production. GMC products, while not mechanically all that different from their Chevrolet stablemates, fit the bill perfectly.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #9
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

GMC started, in part, to give P-O-B-Cad dealers a way to sell pickups and vans, too. Now, it's become too profitable to part with as buyers have bought into the brand's "professional grade" marketing campaign and the Denali luxury trim. Within GM, GMC regularly sells the second-most units behind Chevrolet.

I like fdryer's notion of using one brand to sell light-duty trucks while the other tackles the medium- and heavy-duty markets but GM rarely makes such logical moves.

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:17 PM   #10
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Indeed, "professional grade" advertising and the Denali sub-brand is what helps to differentiate a GMC from a Chevy given their similarities under the skin. Chevy could never get away with that kind of branding. It's supposed to be the every-person's division, the brand from which to aspire in the Sloan model.

I like fdryer's idea for further delineation between Chevy and GMC, but still believe GMC makes more sense as the Jeep fighter since GM no longer has Hummer for the task.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote